Enclosure Looking for case suggestions

gaest

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Hey everyone,

So I'm going to do my first SFF build, and I'm looking for some input in terms of really small cases (I want to make it as compact as possible).
I've picked out the following components:

Mobo: MSI B350I PRO AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 (doesn't fit exactly on that mobo, but I'll modify it a bit)
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V 3200MHz (2x8GB)
Storage: M.2 Intel 540s SSD
PSU: picoPSU-160-XT with 192w brick

Any suggestions for flat mITX cases?

Regards
~Niels

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Reactions: Midiamp and gaest

gaest

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks! That's awesome, I'll look them through :)

A little off topic, but with the build I outlined up there, would you risk overclocking the APU? The 2400g comes with a 65w tdp and not sure if the picoPSU can supply enough power...

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
You can try this link, I've already applied the "height" filter to 68mm which is enough to fit your cooler. You can of course play around with it, and the other values to find the limits of each dimension, or if you prefer, volume, that you're happy with. Note it's in Dutch, though there are ways around that if that's not your thing, of course.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Thanks! That's awesome, I'll look them through :)

A little off topic, but with the build I outlined up there, would you risk overclocking the APU? The 2400g comes with a 65w tdp and not sure if the picoPSU can supply enough power...
I'd personally recommend In Win BP65, it's a nice case. Has an air filter on the side too. Also, I'd go against overclocking the APU since you'd only get little performance out of overclocking it. I suggest you undervolt the system since the 2400G is already power efficient. Going furthermore in efficiency is a bragging right on its own.

I'm planning to salvage my Asrock AB350 ITX with 2400G down the line and stuff it inside the smallest no GPU slot case available... Likely the In Win BP65.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
I'm planning to salvage my Asrock AB350 ITX with 2400G down the line and stuff it inside the smallest no GPU slot case available... Likely the In Win BP65.

There are plenty of no-GPU-slot cases available that are much much smaller than the BP655.

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Depends on your budget, really. There's cases on the forum that command an indie premium, as well as mainstream offerings from In-Win, and the like :)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB944MW9007

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB944MW9009

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB944NA4300

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7HN5HW6160

and more. Those are the cheapest in the desired style on NewEgg.

For some weird reason none of the links you've posted work for me.

Reactions: confusis

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Hey everyone,

So I'm going to do my first SFF build, and I'm looking for some input in terms of really small cases (I want to make it as compact as possible).
I've picked out the following components:

Mobo: MSI B350I PRO AC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 (doesn't fit exactly on that mobo, but I'll modify it a bit)
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V 3200MHz (2x8GB)
Storage: M.2 Intel 540s SSD
PSU: picoPSU-160-XT with 192w brick

Any suggestions for flat mITX cases?

Regards
~Niels

The 2200G is a better buy and not much different to the 2400G in terms of gaming performance. The additional Vega CUs on the 2400G are bottlenecked, and if you compare both chips overclocked they amount to the same performance. Will update this post with a citation asap.

If you like a flat case I recommend the Realan E-W80 with a couple of good fans to exhaust air. I recently built a 2200G into this case (see Build Logs) and managed to overclock the CPU to 3725 and APU to 1550 (though still testing this for stability).

Though the MSI board is good temperature wise I recommend looking at a Asrock or Gigabyte as the MSI disables power saving options when you exceed the base 3500 clock. Plenty of people are complaining (on reddit) so maybe a BIOS fix is on the cards, but I would not count on it.

Should you like to try a tower case I think the Realan 8002 looks nice but it's slightly larger in size. Both the Realans are available on Aliexpress. For both these cases the stock CPU fan should fit and work fine for overclocking. The 8002 should cool better on account of the side vent holes.

Edit: Also the 8002, with a slight mod to accommodate a power socket, should have enough space to accommodate an AC-DC brick. So you will have the holy grail all-in-one solution.

Last edited: