CPU My review of MITXPC MX500-USB3 case

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I have a couple of other threads related to this build (mostly frustrations) if you want to look them up.

First, I can not say enough GOOD THINGS this case ! Simple. Clean. Well built. Exactly what I wanted. It is meant to be a fanless case, but the Noctua NH-L9a-AM5 fits perfectly. Also the Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT is clearly made for this case.

Now having said that, there are a couple of "nits" I want to pick
  • The case and the PSU use a very small DC5521 barrel power connector. IMHO, this is too small for the the amount of power that has to go though it. Or more importantly, trying to solder reasonable gauge wires on to that barrel connector is very difficult (old, fat fingers and weak eyes don't help). Those 2 companies need to get together and find a better connector.
  • The case is meant to be fanless and has no place for a graphics card. Not an issue for any of the current generation of AMD 8xxx APUs.
  • Last, even though they give you the proper bracket to install a pair of 2.5" disks, with the fan installed, you have to flip the bracket over, so now the disks are too tall to install the lid ! Sigh !! If the sides of the lid were about 1" taller, it would fit perfectly. I guess my back up disk will have to be external.
  • It really need a front panel USB-C connection.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Simple. Clean. Well built. Exactly what I wanted. It is meant to be a fanless case, but the Noctua NH-L9a-AM5 fits perfectly.

How is the Noctua NH-L9a behaving to cool the 8700G?
Asking because the top panel of the case does not seem to permit a lot of ventilation.

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
How is the Noctua NH-L9a behaving to cool the 8700G?
Asking because the top panel of the case does not seem to permit a lot of ventilation.
I am not a gamer, so I have not "stress tested" the CPU/fan. (I really wanted a 8300G but they are limited to OEM only until late this year.)

No problems, so far ! Almost never get off of the lowest setting. I do currently have the disk drives and bracket sitting directly over the top of the fan.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
No problems, so far ! Almost never get off of the lowest setting. I do currently have the disk drives and bracket sitting directly over the top of the fan.
I guess it's ok for light usage, but obstructing the CPU fan like that is certainly not advised.
Should indeed be a good thing to keep an eye on the temps with HWiNFO.

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I guess it's ok for light usage, but obstructing the CPU fan like that is certainly not advised.
Should indeed be a good thing to keep an eye on the temps with HWiNFO.
Better. The Noctua NH-L9a is very quiet (as expected with all Noctua products). You can hear it when it speeds up even a little.

IMHO, there is plenty of holes for adequate air flow.