Looking for advice on a build in a Jonsbo U1 PLUS case

AutoBacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Hello. I am looking into making pretty much an identical build to the pc shown below from the Jonsbo Website. (Link: http://www.jonsbo.com/en/products_43_2.html). It would feature a Ryzen 1700 with the stock wraith spire, a Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX and a Corsair SF450 which will be used to exhaust air out of the top of the case. My question is will this be sufficient for cooling? Power consumption should be fairly low - supposedly 65W for the cpu and 120W for the gpu - although I would undervolt this to reduce power (for comparison my undervolted RX580 nitro + uses about 80~ watts in the games I play with vsync on), so at most for the whole system at gaming load no more than 200W and at best under 150W. As a side note I may put an RX Vega nano in there once they are released which should have a TDP of 150W. The gpu is getting fresh air straight from the bottom and the psu should do a decent job at exhausting but I am worried about a lack fresh air for the processor and the surrounding area. If possible I would like to keep the stock cooler, mainly because it looks nice but whether it will produce enough airflow to effectively cool motherboard VRM I am not sure. I hear great things about the sf450 but would I be better off with an SFX L psu with a larger fan to improve exhaust flow? If you have experience with a similar scenario I would love to here about your results or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
I've built inside Jonsbo many times before (for me and for my friends) and I've got to say that the company tends to make their cases looks first temps later.

That doesn't mean it's bad, though. Cooling can be adequate as long as you plan for it. Here are a few things you can (and should) do inside the U1 Plus:
  • Put a 80mm fan on the back. Despite all the airflow you have, the addition of this single fan makes a huge difference. I assume input will get you better temps, but please do try both and see which one works best.
  • Unless absolutely necessary, do NOT put a 2.5" SSD/HDD on the bottom floor as it ruins the airflow severely. Though I think the U1 Plus doesn't accommodate it anymore, unlike their previous cases.
  • Do NOT use a silent-type PSU. I used a Thermaltake SE once and since it's designed to be quiet it didn't spin enough to push hot air out of the case. Your Corsair SF will do great.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
@wiretap

RX 570 Pulse (without undervolting) produces pretty much the same amount of heat as the 1080 wiretap used in the U1 Plus.
I don't know why they left the second rear fan off that was in place in the U1. There's still plenty of room for a second one? Anyway I think you could use a Thermalright True Spirit 90 for CPU & VRM cooling. Stock is going to be a noisy & hot.

AutoBacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
@wiretap

RX 570 Pulse (without undervolting) produces pretty much the same amount of heat as the 1080 wiretap used in the U1 Plus.
I don't know why they left the second rear fan off that was in place in the U1. There's still plenty of room for a second one? Anyway I think you could use a Thermalright True Spirit 90 for CPU & VRM cooling. Stock is going to be a noisy & hot.

Thanks for the information, I looked into Wiretrap's build as well as someone else's and they seemed to get pretty good results, even Wiretrap's 7700k at 4.5ghz gets decent temperatures so that is reassuring. I will probably just try the stock cooler to begin with and see how that goes.

AutoBacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
I've built inside Jonsbo many times before (for me and for my friends) and I've got to say that the company tends to make their cases looks first temps later.

That doesn't mean it's bad, though. Cooling can be adequate as long as you plan for it. Here are a few things you can (and should) do inside the U1 Plus:
  • Put a 80mm fan on the back. Despite all the airflow you have, the addition of this single fan makes a huge difference. I assume input will get you better temps, but please do try both and see which one works best.
  • Unless absolutely necessary, do NOT put a 2.5" SSD/HDD on the bottom floor as it ruins the airflow severely. Though I think the U1 Plus doesn't accommodate it anymore, unlike their previous cases.
  • Do NOT use a silent-type PSU. I used a Thermaltake SE once and since it's designed to be quiet it didn't spin enough to push hot air out of the case. Your Corsair SF will do great.

Thanks for your help, I agree completely with our first statement, I own a UMX3 and its an awesome case but the one thing I am not keen on is the fact the power supply vents back into the case and results in a hot spot just above the ram. Turning the rear fan from intake to exhaust somewhat helped the situation but its still not perfect. This is what made me a bit worried about using an even more compact case but I have looked at a couple other builds in the U1+ (7700k + 1080 Mini as well as Ryzen 1600 & 1060) and they seem to hold up reasonably well.

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
I've built inside the V3+ which probably has the worst airflow of all their cases, and even then I could still game pretty well (albeit using a lower-heat GPU).

Compared to that case the U1 Plus is heavenly. I'm sure your 570 will do just fine.

Reactions: AutoBacon

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
@wiretap

With just the one 80mm exhaust fan, it still allows good enough cooling for my 7700k + 1080 mini at full load. Yes, it does get hot in the case, but I haven't had anything thermally throttle yet. I've been gaming and/or mining with mine 24/7 since I built it. As far as the rear panel goes, it could be modded to fit 2x 80mm fans, but a 120mm rear fan would not fit because it would be too wide. I'm not really sure why Jonsbo didn't put a 2x80mm mount in the rear of the case.. they should have. As far as noise levels go -- my build is surprisingly quiet under max load. My wife doesn't even complain. (much less quiet than a normal talking voice, maybe a medium-loud whisper)

AutoBacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
With just the one 80mm exhaust fan, it still allows good enough cooling for my 7700k + 1080 mini at full load. Yes, it does get hot in the case, but I haven't had anything thermally throttle yet. I've been gaming and/or mining with mine 24/7 since I built it. As far as the rear panel goes, it could be modded to fit 2x 80mm fans, but a 120mm rear fan would not fit because it would be too wide. I'm not really sure why Jonsbo didn't put a 2x80mm mount in the rear of the case.. they should have. As far as noise levels go -- my build is surprisingly quiet under max load. My wife doesn't even complain. (much less quiet than a normal talking voice, maybe a medium-loud whisper)

Thanks, I appreciate your insight. Sounds like it worked out quite well. I do like quiet machines so I'll see how it goes, I could always cut a 120mm fan hole in the front panel if it gets too toasty.

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate your insight. Sounds like it worked out quite well. I do like quiet machines so I'll see how it goes, I could always cut a 120mm fan hole in the front panel if it gets too toasty.
The front or top panel are good locations for a 120mm fan cutout. The aluminum is pretty thick, so I would recommend clamping the case and using a drill press with a hole saw bit to get a clean cut.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I recently purchased this case, too - and with @wiretap's help, managed to find the pieces needed. I would suggest going a full-size 80mm in the rear for exhaust. The slim one from cooler Master is good, but a little louder and moves less air than a Noctua or Noiseblocker, the latter I went for personally.

Also, pay close attention to your CPU cooler measurements - and outside that, enjoy. The case is designed well and decently constructed - just be aware of the limitations of airflow with your components and your system will be quiet and cool.

Reactions: wiretap

Little Lu

Case Bender
Dec 7, 2017
Hi

I'm interested in building with the Jonsbo U1 Plus as well, with these parts;

i7 8700k
Noctua NH-U9s
Z370 Gigabyte or MSI Gaming mitx
32GB 16x2 3600Hz (downgrading to 2x8 2800Hz)
Zotac GTx 1080 ti Mini
Crucial MX300 1TB M.2
Corsair SF 600W
Noctua NF-A9 FLX (as a 2nd fan for the cooler)

As tiny as it is, The U1 Plus is still a conventional tower that channels air from front to back. It will cool better with a tower cooler than a top flow one. The NH-U9s with two fans would be close enough to the front and end of the case, doing double duty of cooling the CPU and acting as intake and exhaust for the U1 Plus.

Dual M.2 slot motherboards are a must. The 2.5" SSD mount is on a plate on the front of the case, and so are the air openings on the left side. I would remove the plate completely and avoid installing anything in front of the openings and move cables away from there. You don't need PCi-e SSDs. SATA in M.2 form is plenty fast enough.

I love SF-XL PSUs as a concept. Let me know when Corsair, Seasonic or EVGA make one. Silverstone PSUs are not my favourite. Besides, smaller PSU means more space for cabling behind the PSU cover.

Finally, I've been watching Wiretap's posts on other forums and he confirmed what I was thinking about the Zotac Mini cards. They fit in the U1 Plus like a glove.

Last edited:

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I did some extensive testing the last 3 days with the U1.

As tiny as it is, The U1 Plus is still a conventional tower that channels air from front to back.

Super true. I have the U9S, NH L9i, Cryorig M9i and am picking up the D9L soon for testing, I will probably stick with the latter as I like its styling more and will throw two redux fans on it. NH L9i, a good cooler of course, performed the worst on idle and load with and without a GPU.

Dual M.2 slot motherboards are a must. The 2.5" SSD mount is on a plate on the front of the case, and so are the air openings on the left side.

Dual M.2 absolutely is not a must, but it would be helpful for sure. One is enough with high capacity dives, but if you have a board with zero, you will be fine nonetheless. The SSD plate on the front is silly in design and somewhat cumbersome but I have tested the front-to-back cooling with it in and out and all results are margin of error. If your cables are managed properly it does not interfere with the small strip of air vents in the front of the case at all as the plate ends something like 5-6 cm away from the strip.

About that plate (the strangest thing in the U1), the mounting on the front is just silly Jonsbo! You can cut off one of the sides of the plate (facing the intake 'strip' if you like so it cannot be seen) if you want to mod it in general, and 2.5" drives can be mounted behind the thing with clearance to mount the plate back on, hiding the drives entirely. Missed opportunity here for them to even use less material. Oh well... Better to leave it off completely for less clutter but it is certainly not a necessity. I chose to leave mine on, I can post some photos of the mod in the next weeks if anyone is interested.

Finally, I've been watching Wiretap's posts on other forums and he confirmed what I was thinking about the Zotac Mini cards. They fit in the U1 Plus like a glove.

Confirmed here too. I put the Zotac 1060 AMP in there. Ultimately (just yesterday) I had to send it back as the back fan was finicky - but it does fit. I will put the EVGA 1060 SC in there instead for more room in general.

The NH-U9s with two fans would be close enough to the front and end of the case, doing double duty of cooling the CPU and acting as intake and exhaust for the U1 Plus.

This is a good idea in general, but there is still some room between the back 92mm fan and the exhaust grill, which does allow a portion of hot air to go swirling around in the case rather than exhaust efficiently. When I tested with the tower, I found a good 92mm on the front (as you noted, close to the intake 'strip') and a good 80mm on the back did a better job with temperatures. I assume because the 80mm fan was close enough to the cooler to suck up the hot air - and since it is screwed to the back of the case - made sure it got out of the case. Still, the temperature difference was not much, and most noticeable under synthetic stress. It was enough however to persuade me to keep a 92mm/80mm fan split.

Besides, smaller PSU means more space for cabling behind the PSU cover.

Super true again. I love the little metal PSU cover with its anemic screws. If you don't mind a little adhesive, those 3M hooks can be stuck to the top to hold cables up if they are starting to fall below the PSU cover and into view in the glass.

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
AuoBacon

Did you have any fitment problems with this case and the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX? I just bought this case (waiting on delivery from QuietPC) and am also considering this video card. Thanks!

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
AuoBacon

Did you have any fitment problems with this case and the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX? I just bought this case (waiting on delivery from QuietPC) and am also considering this video card. Thanks!

As can be seen earlier in this thread, @wiretap has gotten a Zotac 1080 mini (211mm x 125mm) in the U1 - and the 570 you have is still smaller (170mm x 112mm). Don't see any conflicts there.

I got mine from QuietPC here in the EU as well. Can't say I have had a bad experience. I wanted the black, but there was a 2 month back order on that - I went with silver and I am glad I did. Both beautiful little desktop cases!

Enjoy your build!

hardwarevreag

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for your reply. It helped. So I really have to try out the D9L first since I just have it here and don't have to pay forit. Interestingly I got myself the black version since I could not get the silver one. Do you mind an exchange? I would love to have the silver themed case. :D

thelastmumzy

What's an ITX?
Sep 13, 2018
I recently finished my Jonsbo U1 Plus build. The specs I went with are: a Zotac GTX 1080, Intel i7 7700, 1TB M.2 SSD, Cryorig C1 heatsink with a Corsair 120mm Magnetic Levitation (white), and the PSU is a Corsair SF600. Using a dremel tool I modified the case by drilling holes in the case so it will accommodate two 80mm fans instead of just one. Not sure why Jonsbo didn't just design this thing to fit two fans since they clearly had room for both. Anyways this is the first time I've ever tried to mod a case like this and I don't mind admitting it scared the hell of out me. The Zotac GTX 1080 mini was a supreme pain to cram into the case but I got it in there by removing the card's IO bracket and re-attaching it after I got the card into the case. There is about 1mm of space left from the edge of the card to the side of the case.

The temps: when I had a single rear 80mm the thing ran pretty hot, but within the acceptable limits. When playing games like Tomb Raider I could stress the cpu to about 90% sustained load and 100% load on the GPU. CPU temps would hover in the 70's sometime dipping into the low 80's. The 1080 would stay in the upper 70's. Neither the CPU nor the GPU ever throttled although the system ran a bit louder than I would have liked.

After I put the second rear 80mm fan in..well it still runs hot. BUT now I can run the fans at a much lower speed. I capped the GPU fan using MSI afterburner at 50% and tweaked the case/cpu fans and this thing runs super quiet at full load without throttling. Like barely louder than idle. CPU temps max out in the 70's when under full sustained load but that is well within the limits

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited: