Discussion Building in CPU-PSU sandwich cases (Jonsbo T8, C2)

rikon

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 14, 2020
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to assemble a quiet sff on a budget (an oxymoron, if ever there was one). The extra challenge is that it's supposed to fit a Ikea Kallax shelf (33W/33H/39D), preferably against the right side of the shelf, so no sandwich style case (blocked right-side vents). I estimate the total power draw of the system to be around 300W, possibly up to 400W if I get crazy with upgrades in the future.
I mostly decided about going for a ATX PSU (I can buy a 750W unit for cheap which would barely spin up at peak loads). I'd like to use cases available locally, and pretty much only things that are available here are Jonsbo cases (T8, C2). I can try my luck with something from Aliexpress if it's worth it (e.g. SGPC) but Taobao is not an option. The Jonsbo C2 seems to tick all the boxes, allowing for some decent CPU cooling and overall airflow (140mm intake straight under the GPU, NH-L12S blowing straight into PSU intake). But. The T8 is just so much smaller! I find my self constantly I'm agonizing whether a 45mm cooler can handle a Ryzen 2600 (no overclocking planned) without being obnoxiously noisy.
With all that said, here are some points I'd like to get some insight on these points:
  • It's pretty much a given that the CPU cooler should blow towards the PSU. Should I be dead-set on a fan-under-heatsink design, or is it okay to just flip the fan on a regular top-down design, so it would pull air through the fins?
  • Connecting with the previous question - wouldn't two fans (CPU and PSU) right next to each other, pushing air the same direction, be a bit redundant? Would mashing a biggest heatsink that would fit (AXP-100) against the PSU intake (perhaps with a shroud), hoping it alone would move air through the fins, make any sense at all?
  • Wouldn't all that faffing defeat the purpose of using a cheaper and quieter ATX PSU? Should I just accept the alternative between going for the C2 (big, cheap, quiet) or forking out big bux for a SF600/SF750.
  • Am I paranoid of how loud something cheaper, like a SF450 would be against all other components? Would bigger, quieter CPU cooling and smaller, louder PSU even each other out?
Cheers and pardon for any newbie indiscretions.

alansoon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 3, 2019
I like your approach to this. I too decided to go with a small, quiet build.

I now have a Ryzen 1600AF running in an Aklla A3. It runs cool and quiet.

I've been tempted by the T8 as well -- but that tempered glass scares the hell out of me. That box won't breathe well, that's for sure. Cable management would be messy too.

What have you decided on?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I like your approach to this. I too decided to go with a small, quiet build.

I now have a Ryzen 1600AF running in an Aklla A3. It runs cool and quiet.

I've been tempted by the T8 as well -- but that tempered glass scares the hell out of me. That box won't breathe well, that's for sure. Cable management would be messy too.

What have you decided on?

What cooler did you end up using?

rikon

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 14, 2020
This in my finished build. I ended up going with the C2. I didn't want to buy an ITX GPU right away, and decided to keep my HD7790 running for a wee bit longer. I seem to be stuck in a loop of constantly waiting for the next GPU release to get more bang for my buck. Also having to look for oriental CPU coolers and being the first to check their compatibility with my parts doesn't sound like a good time to me. The NH-L12S fits and works well for me and Jonsbo C2.