Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
K888D I think the passion you put towards your product is really remarkable and it was definitely one of the reasons why I went with your product. Also, disclosing your costs and markups is admirable and I really appreciate you doing it.

Yes, this product costs an arm and a leg but to me it is justifiable because as it is now this is the only product in the market that has a certain set of features: cooling, thermals, compatibility, volume, interchangeable parts, design, (availability) ... If you want those features you pay, if you don't need them you can go and buy a 30£ case with a little more volume, no one is forcing you to buy this one.
This is how i see it and why I bought this case.

Thanks for the comments, I really do appreciate it!

Admittedly I didn't think the cost were this high, but I still think there is a big missed opportunity in the after sale customer experience. I'm a marketing guy (up for hire :-) ) and to me the customization is a strong unique selling point of this case. Not being able to further customize/upgrade it after the first purchase, because price becomes prohibitive, shortens the life span of the product and somehow undermines the product itself.

You make lots of very good points, I will try and address them in more detail below.

- What about lowering your own margin ? I think that 20% is a really fair margin but maybe the reduction of it could increase your volume of sales and compensate. More customers, more word-of-mouth, more sales...

Hopefully over time I may be able to consider a reduction in margin to help bring prices down, but at the moment I have not yet recovered the investment I have put into the business.

Clearly this is a production cost issue but maybe there are ways around it...
- Have you considered handling the distribution in-house ? that 20% markup gives nothing* to you and makes a big difference in the end price. [*I know there are some benefits on using their platform]

Yes handling the distribution myself and selling direct to customers would reduce the cost of the case/parts.

However, I am very grateful to the opportunity that Overclockers UK gave me. We worked together to form a plan, after which they placed a size-able order for the various case parts enabling me to confidently invest in my own laser cutting equipment.

The laser cutter is the key to how Lazer3D can offer so much customisation off the shelf, without the help and commitment from Overclockers UK my finances would have been limited and I would likely have had to stick to small batch runs with long lead times and only a few customisation options, similar to how the LZ7 First Edition was handled.

In returns for Overclockers assistance in bringing the case to market I agreed for them (and Caseking, who own Overclockers) to be the exclusive EU retailers, therefore meaning I cannot sell directly to EU based customers as I would then become a competitor!

I made sure to get the Noctua NH-D9L from a seller which accepts returns so if it doesn't fit i can replace it with the NH-U9S.

Very interested to hear how you get on with this cooler compatibility wise.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I recently became aware of this product, and I want to say I am thoroughly impressed by how innovative the design it. It's in essence the first fully modular/upgradable case. You can get exactly the panels you need for your build. I'm not aware of any other product like that. 120mm AIO cooling in 7L with an external brick is pretty amazing. My next GPU will probably ITX-sized, then I will transition to this case.

Regarding 120mm AIO cooling, I see that the U9S performed better than the H60. What about using a thicker radiator? I have a 38mm Zalman LQ315, would that fit with a 25mm NF-F12 fan?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Regarding 120mm AIO cooling, I see that the U9S performed better than the H60. What about using a thicker radiator? I have a 38mm Zalman LQ315, would that fit with a 25mm NF-F12 fan?

You should be able to fit some pretty thick radiators and perhaps even 2x 120mm push/pull fan setup. Beware though this isn't something I've tested.

There is 130mm from the top of the CPU surface to the underside of the top panel, this needs to include your pump, the radiator/fans, tubing and some room for cable management.

The H60 is the only AIO I have tested, it is 152mm long, there was only a few mm left each side of the AIO in its longest length, so bare that in mind.

My temperature testing was also done with a Noctua 120mm x 25mm as I wanted it to be as quiet as possible, if you used a fan more suited to work with radiators the temps would probably be lower.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I recently became aware of this product, and I want to say I am thoroughly impressed by how innovative the design it. It's in essence the first fully modular/upgradable case. You can get exactly the panels you need for your build. I'm not aware of any other product like that. 120mm AIO cooling in 7L with an external brick is pretty amazing. My next GPU will probably ITX-sized, then I will transition to this case.

You will be even more impressed by the cooling capabilities.
Comparison with the already small CM Elite 110:

Last edited:

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Question...

Am I wrong to assume that in order to make an LZ7-like case a bit bigger you would only need different panels so long as you keep the case mITX?

If that were true, have you considered it?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Question...

Am I wrong to assume that in order to make an LZ7-like case a bit bigger you would only need different panels so long as you keep the case mITX?

He has another thread with various designs :)

Reactions: cmyk78

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

That is a correct assumption!

If you wanted a longer case it would just mean 4 new panels (Top, Bottom, left and right sides). If you wanted to make the case wider, again it would be 4 new panels (Top, Bottom, Front and Rear).

I am not keen on doing this though, as I feel that lengthening the case will just result in a more expensive version of the Silverstone SG13. I feel the LZ7 will lose its uniqueness and gain allot of wasted space in front of the motherboard.

Dunno, what do you think?

Hopefully a later revision of this case will have a small hatch in the bottom so the motherboards m.2 slots can be accessed without needing to disassemble the whole case.

Welcome to the forum!

This is something I've actually spent some time trying to figure out, but unfortunately I cannot see a simple way of doing it without adding some increased cost to the case with extra parts/panels/brackets etc. It is something I will try and address in future case designs though.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
That is a correct assumption!

If you wanted a longer case it would just mean 4 new panels (Top, Bottom, left and right sides). If you wanted to make the case wider, again it would be 4 new panels (Top, Bottom, Front and Rear).

I am not keen on doing this though, as I feel that lengthening the case will just result in a more expensive version of the Silverstone SG13. I feel the LZ7 will lose its uniqueness and gain allot of wasted space in front of the motherboard.

Dunno, what do you think?

I agree with you regarding the length of the case... and I do because we already have GTX1080 mini, so even power users can survive with such a small case.

But... making the case a bit wider might allow for an AIO to be installed in the intake-fan... and that would be a big increase in cooling for maybe not that big of an increase in size. Yes, I know that if you use a DC-DC psu you can mount an AIO on the top of the case, but I'm sure that many people would rather keep their SFX cases.

Dunno, just food for thought ;)

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I agree with you regarding the length of the case... and I do because we already have GTX1080 mini, so even power users can survive with such a small case.

But... making the case a bit wider might allow for an AIO to be installed in the intake-fan... and that would be a big increase in cooling for maybe not that big of an increase in size. Yes, I know that if you use a DC-DC psu you can mount an AIO on the top of the case, but I'm sure that many people would rather keep their SFX cases.

Dunno, just food for thought ;)

I think K888D means that the LZ7 has unique target; people who wants the smallest well ventilated sff case. A bigger LZ7 won't be different from a silverstone SG13, but with a higher price.
There is nothing like the LZ7 in the market at the moment, this fact compensates for the higher price compared to a mainstream chassis.

Martix50

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2017
I think K888D means that the LZ7 has unique target; people who wants the smallest well ventilated sff case. A bigger LZ7 won't be different from a silverstone SG13, but with a higher price.
There is nothing like the LZ7 in the market at the moment, this fact compensates for the higher price compared to a mainstream chassis.

Exactly the reason why I bought it. Glad to see my decision process seconded by someone else :-)

Happypop

Efficiency Noob
Sep 30, 2017
I finally got my case with all my components.
I am running a ryzen 1600 oc at 3800 using 1.3v with noctua nh-l12 on the biostar itx motherboard. I managed to put the orientation of the noctua heatsink so that my case fan is also blowing in between the fins. I have a g skill 16gb single slot dimm oc at 3000 using 1.3v as well. My gpu is the gigabyte 1070 which is also oc at 1860.

My temp in idling for the cpu is 40degree and in game it goes up to 55. Ambient is 20 degree.

I am pretty happy with the oc capability. This is awesome.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I finally got my case with all my components.
I am running a ryzen 1600 oc at 3800 using 1.3v with noctua nh-l12 on the biostar itx motherboard. I managed to put the orientation of the noctua heatsink so that my case fan is also blowing in between the fins. I have a g skill 16gb single slot dimm oc at 3000 using 1.3v as well. My gpu is the gigabyte 1070 which is also oc at 1860.

My temp in idling for the cpu is 40degree and in game it goes up to 55. Ambient is 20 degree.

I am pretty happy with the oc capability. This is awesome.

Can you try a stress test like prime 95? (At least 20 minutes)
I think would be nice to report our temperatures with our Lz7 setup, could be useful to K888D.
With prime95 now I have 61/62 ° C maximum.

One interesting thing I want to note is that after hours of cpu stress test, once I stop it, it takes only few seconds to return to almost ambient temperature, I think side fan in front of heatsink, without obstacles, helps a lot. Usally, in my old setups, it takes a lot of minutes this process...

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

Happypop

Efficiency Noob
Sep 30, 2017
Okay so I run prime blend for about 15 min to see if that would be stable and it looks like it was fine:

Now I will probably reduce a bit the frequency just because I hit 71C (idling is 35 now). I had to up the soc core voltage a bit to help stabilize the system because i would get some weird driver failure sometimes. My ambient at this time is 19 degree.

So to recap:
cpu ryzen 1600 at 3800 with a little boost +0.60
memory at 2933 (16 18 18 38) with a little boost +0.80
Soc voltage added +1.00

This guide also help: http://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-overclocking-guide/

To me it is like pushing the case to its limit unless you have the new version where you can have a taller cooler. But still I mean I mostly play video games so I think I am fine.

Happypop

Efficiency Noob
Sep 30, 2017
Funny i just ran 3dmark time spy and i got almost the same score with the oc or without it. My system is fine i guess no need to overclock anything because clearly the cpu is not a bottle neck for the gpu to perform. And this way it is less heat and more quiet. If i need more juice i saved the profile in the bios just in case
:cool: