Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

Happypop

Efficiency Noob
Sep 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

So noctua just announce the new nh l12s which will replace the previous version. With a total height of 70mm this literally make the PSU sitting on the heatsink. I wonder if this could be advisable because you are looking at about 30mm of clearence which is the size of the heatsink i believe. Could 30mm be enough space for the air to be properly dispersed? Should you recommand rushing to get the nh l12 previous version since it is going on discontinue.

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi everyone,

So noctua just announce the new nh l12s which will replace the previous version. With a total height of 70mm this literally make the PSU sitting on the heatsink. I wonder if this could be advisable because you are looking at about 30mm of clearence which is the size of the heatsink i believe. Could 30mm be enough space for the air to be properly dispersed? Should you recommand rushing to get the nh l12 previous version since it is going on discontinue.

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure whereabouts the 30mm clearance is your referring to?

The NH-L12S should just about fit at 70mm tall, but like you say it will probably be touching the underside of the PSU. With the fan positioned under the heatsink it should still work, but how efficiently I don't know.

If I were you I would get the current NH-L12 now and wait to see if the new one works any better, I will probably be testing it when it's released and post the results here, you can always sell the old one if the new one performs better. But to be honest I am not expecting to see much difference.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Welcome to the forum!

Not sure whereabouts the 30mm clearance is your referring to?

The NH-L12S should just about fit at 70mm tall, but like you say it will probably be touching the underside of the PSU. With the fan positioned under the heatsink it should still work, but how efficiently I don't know.

If I were you I would get the current NH-L12 now and wait to see if the new one works better any better, I will probably be testing it when it's released and post the results here, you can always sell the old one if the new one performs better. But to be honest I am not expecting to see much difference.

The cooler has 45mm below the fins clearance. If you position the fan on the bottom you are left with 30mm.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
As a general advice: you don't want a PSU being fed hot air from a beefy CPU, it might shut down or reduce the life span if you regularly stress the components. Either overdimensionalize (700W-800W PSU), increase fan speed, reduce CPU TDP (with undervolting) or go with a different cooler.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
Switched case fan from Prolimatech 140 to Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM , CPU fan is Noctua NH-L9i PWM, I recommend both those fans. GPU PSU and case fans only start when gaming - the venting does a great job on low stress. Inaudible ear on case and I'm really sensitive about that. Looks, power, noise, couldn't be happier with this little beast !

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Switched case fan from Prolimatech 140 to Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM , CPU fan is Noctua NH-L9i PWM, I recommend both those fans. GPU PSU and case fans only start when gaming - the venting does a great job on low stress. Inaudible ear on case and I'm really sensitive about that. Looks, power, noise, couldn't be happier with this little beast !
What CPU cooler are you using?

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Is anyone running the new 1080 ITX card from Gigabyte, or is it not available yet?

I asked Gigabyte almost the same question 4 days ago. On Saturday i received this answer:

Hello,

This model is not available in the market yet.
More information should be available towards the end of the month

Thank you

10/7/2017 1:58 AM

Reactions: Acalanata

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
It must be available in some countries before others, @coughlanio managed to pick one up, he's just waiting on the case to put it in!

Build log here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-hypercube.3406/

oh.... so official US gigabyte support wasn't honest with us... good to know....

ZombiPL

Airflow Optimizer
DR ZĄBER
Apr 13, 2016
Are you working on something new?

We're getting tons of feedback and we try to check every idea how to improve the product before the retail. To check something if it will fit or not when the dimensions are "on the edge" you will need that element. Currently we received so many questions, that we didn't know where to start, so we're checking most common ideas. One of them was checking if it is even possible to fit this gpu in sentry....