Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi All. First post here.

Got my LZ7 case the other day so figured I should start looking into components. Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on using a dual fan card with this case (slotted GPU panel)? These Galax/KFA2 cards are reasonably priced and I have seen favourable reviews online, but wondering whether the LZ7 was designed specifically with a single-fan GPU in mind.

Galax/KFA2 RTX 2070 Mini - youtube
Galax/KFA2 RTX 2070 Mini - Product Page

I think a Galax/KFA2 RTX 2060 would do better (quieter) in the LZ7 but couldn't find any reviews.

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for a quiet and reasonably powerful card? I am looking for the quietest build possible for 1440p/60FPS gaming with an SFX PSU. I am willing to sacrifice some performance if that lowers noise.

Thanks for the support!

Unfortunately the Galax/KFA2 dual fan cards are just slightly too long for the LZ7. Their product page lists them as:
  • Dimensions(with Bracket): 190*126*41mm
The LZ7 has a maximum GPU length of 186mm which is long enough for most single fan cards including the latest generation of ITX length RTX 2070 cards from Gigabyte and MSI.

Answering your question about dual fan cards compared to single fan cards - Generally a dual fan card that is full length will perform slightly better than the single fan variants, but a dual fan card that is shorter than reference usually means they need to use smaller fans to fit the length of the card, rather than 1 bigger fan for a single fan card.

The fans on the Dual Galax card look to be at most 80mm, whereas the MSI and Gigabyte single fan cards use a single 92m fan (I think), larger fans don't need to spin as fast to push the same amount of air and therefore you may actually find that a single 92mm fan is quieter than dual 80mm fans even after you have factored in temps and performance, etc.

The only way to know I guess would be to carry out a side by side performance test with both style of cards and see which performs better in a case that can fit both styles.

There is also the possibility of undervolting the card if you prioritise noise over absolute performance. In fact Optimum Tech just posted a video showing that undervolting a full length RTX 2080Ti in the Ncase M1 resulted in lower temps, lower noise and increased GPU clocks:

c00kie

Cable Smoosher
May 8, 2019
Thanks, appreciate the response. I did wonder whether I should be looking at the Galax dimensions with or without the bracket. Scratch that idea, then. I will take GPU undervolting into consideration.

Also, congrats on a great product! It's my very first case purchase and an expensive one at that, but I think it will be worth it.

Reactions: K888D

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Hi All. First post here.

Got my LZ7 case the other day so figured I should start looking into components. Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on using a dual fan card with this case (slotted GPU panel)? These Galax/KFA2 cards are reasonably priced and I have seen favourable reviews online, but wondering whether the LZ7 was designed specifically with a single-fan GPU in mind.

Galax/KFA2 RTX 2070 Mini - youtube
Galax/KFA2 RTX 2070 Mini - Product Page

I think a Galax/KFA2 RTX 2060 would do better (quieter) in the LZ7 but couldn't find any reviews.

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for a quiet and reasonably powerful card? I am looking for the quietest build possible for 1440p/60FPS gaming with an SFX PSU. I am willing to sacrifice some performance if that lowers noise.

The Galax 2070 mini won't fit.
If you have access to the Gigabyte 2070 in your country, that is what I would choose
1660ti and 2060 cards really aren't enough for a solid 1440p 60fps due to the 6gb of vram.

Reactions: c00kie

c00kie

Cable Smoosher
May 8, 2019
Thanks Legion. One question for you, though - have you considered the MSI Aero 2070 instead of the Gigabyte? I recall seeing reviews indicating lower noise output on the MSI card. Can't find them at the moment, though.

The MSI Aero dimensions are 174 x 127 x 42 mm, compared to Gigabyte's L=169.99 W=121.45 H=42.1 mm so I assume fitting and cable management should be roughly the same.

I am also wondering if SF450 is an adequate PSU for RTX 2070 + 95W TDP processor (i5-9600K or Ryzen 7 2700). I wouldn't mind going for SF600 except I read several user reviews indicating the SF600 is noisier.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Thanks Legion. One question for you, though - have you considered the MSI Aero 2070 instead of the Gigabyte? I recall seeing reviews indicating lower noise output on the MSI card. Can't find them at the moment, though.

The MSI Aero dimensions are 174 x 127 x 42 mm, compared to Gigabyte's L=169.99 W=121.45 H=42.1 mm so I assume fitting and cable management should be roughly the same.

I am also wondering if SF450 is an adequate PSU for RTX 2070 + 95W TDP processor (i5-9600K or Ryzen 7 2700). I wouldn't mind going for SF600 except I read several user reviews indicating the SF600 is noisier.

The Gigabyte would just be my preference, there really isn't anything between it and the MSI to separate them significantly.
SF450 is plenty to run a 2070 and CPU of your choice, Just go for the Platinum over the Gold version, the cost difference is small and there is a difference in fan curves on the Platinum over the Gold.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
If anyone else needs lots of storage, I just redesigned the HDD plate with one of the positions fitting 15mm drives:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3618410

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
Nah, the Gigabyte has a 0DB mode, whereas the MSI spins at 40% min. This makes a huge difference in idle / low load.

Reactions: K888D and Weredawg

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
If anyone else needs lots of storage, I just redesigned the HDD plate with one of the positions fitting 15mm drives:

I managed two 15mm drives in mine by velcroing the drives to the front panel instead of using the mounting bracket supplied. If you are designing one that can do tow drives i might be interested depending on cost to ship to me in the UK.

Reactions: K888D

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
I had the feeling that the in other position it would bump a bit too much into the clip of the motherboard's power connector to my liking with my mobo.
Also was in a hurry since I'm leaving for a long work trip abroad tomorrow (the whole reason for doing a bunch of upgrades to my LZ7 build that obviously comes with me) so didn't have time to look too much in detail, and thus unfortunately wouldn't be able to do a dual drive version now or print one for you.

I might revisit when I come back in 2 months and possibly add a 2nd drive to make a RAID0 array.

Reactions: chewie13 and K888D

videojamez

Efficiency Noob
May 12, 2019
Hey everyone! First time posting on the forums. A few quick questions about this case, which I just ordered and am super excited to build in.

1. I ordered from the overclockers.co.uk site with shipping to the US, but several of the components were listed as out of stock. Wondering how long I should expect to wait for my order to ship.

2. Has anyone done any tests to see whether custom shorter psu cables from an sfx power supply improve thermals compared to shoving a whole much of cables into the case wherever they'll fit?

3. The configuration I ordered is wide open (big round holes on the sides, and the top piece with a lot of venting). I don't plan on using any mesh to cover the holes, as the case won't be on the ground (will be sitting on the same level as my TV on a stand). Should I worry about massive amounts of dust and constant cleaning?

Thanks!

Reactions: Phuncz and K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
1. I ordered from the overclockers.co.uk site with shipping to the US, but several of the components were listed as out of stock. Wondering how long I should expect to wait for my order to ship.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the support!

We made a stock delivery on Friday but its not yet made its way into Overclockers system, as soon as it does your parts will be picked and shipped the same day.

2. Has anyone done any tests to see whether custom shorter psu cables from an sfx power supply improve thermals compared to shoving a whole much of cables into the case wherever they'll fit?

I don't think custom cables make a huge difference to thermals, but they are useful for helping with cable management.

3. The configuration I ordered is wide open (big round holes on the sides, and the top piece with a lot of venting). I don't plan on using any mesh to cover the holes, as the case won't be on the ground (will be sitting on the same level as my TV on a stand). Should I worry about massive amounts of dust and constant cleaning?

If you set your case fan as an intake (blowing into the case) the case will be under positive pressure which will prevent most dust from entering the case whilst in use.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
If you set your case fan as an intake (blowing into the case) the case will be under positive pressure which will prevent most dust from entering the case whilst in use.

That would be if he has a fan filter :) Otherwise he will be swimming in dust.

videojamez

Efficiency Noob
May 12, 2019
Speaking of fans, what do people think of the slim cryorig 140 mm vs the prolimatech 140 mm for this case? Both good? I ended up going with the prolimatech because I didn't want that multi-colored ring around the central hub of the cryorig fan. I was a little hesitant because I've been building systems for like 10 - 15 years (although not sff) and I'd never heard of prolimatech. Maybe they're not as big in the states.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That would be if he has a fan filter :) Otherwise he will be swimming in dust.

I guess that depends on your environment where you live. Personally I run a few different LZ7 systems (work/home) without dust filters and haven't had a problem with dust build up. If you live in a place prone to high dust levels though then it may be worth installing a dust filter over the main fan as you say.

Speaking of fans, what do people think of the slim cryorig 140 mm vs the prolimatech 140 mm for this case? Both good? I ended up going with the prolimatech because I didn't want that multi-colored ring around the central hub of the cryorig fan. I was a little hesitant because I've been building systems for like 10 - 15 years (although not sff) and I'd never heard of prolimatech. Maybe they're not as big in the states.

The Prolimatech can pump out a huge amount of air, but at higher RPM's (700+) it does get noisy. I've found if you set the fan to run sub 600 RPM it still provides very good airflow through the case whilst remaining quiet. If you run it around 450 rpm it is silent.

I've not got any experience with the Cryorig XT140 but I've not heard any negative feedback about it either.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
I guess that depends on your environment where you live. Personally I run a few different LZ7 systems (work/home) without dust filters and haven't had a problem with dust build up. If you live in a place prone to high dust levels though then it may be worth installing a dust filter over the main fan as you say.

What I was getting at is that positive or negative pressure only affects you IF you plan to install filters. Why? Because with positive pressure you know that air is coming in only where you have fans... whereas with negative pressure air gets in wherever it can. Which is onyl relevant if you have filters, because with negative pressure they become much less effective.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
What I was getting at is that positive or negative pressure only affects you IF you plan to install filters. Why? Because with positive pressure you know that air is coming in only where you have fans... whereas with negative pressure air gets in wherever it can. Which is onyl relevant if you have filters, because with negative pressure they become much less effective.
I agree, however I think @videojamez was referring to the top panel being fully vented allows dust to settle into the case from the top. But if the case is under positive pressure the dust will not enter the vents on the top whilst the system is powered on.

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Since intake fans are the current topic. I haven't seen many LZ7 builds with a slim 120 Noctua fan and I was planning on going that route, what are people's experience with that over the other 140 slim fan options?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Since intake fans are the current topic. I haven't seen many LZ7 builds with a slim 120 Noctua fan and I was planning on going that route, what are people's experience with that over the other 140 slim fan options?
I think @Tek Everything originally built his system with the Noctua 120mm slim fan but since changed to a 140mm fan.

There are also a few builds over on pcpartpicker with the Noctua fan, SpotYS being one of them:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/FnZ2FT

Kdrs0122

Caliper Novice
Aug 28, 2018

Wish this was available a couple months ago. I had chunky ass 5tb drive up front that blocked some of my ports on the mobo. I thought about beveling out a couple mm on the hdd plate to make it fit better but eventually decided to just pull the drive and move all my media over to a NAS. I still might try one of these though...