Production Lazer3D HT5 - Low Profile APU Case

kerbastrar

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 19, 2017
I imagine it may be because they wanted to use a reliable service that they know will get there fast to keep customers happy. Something I've found is that using budget shipping services can result in many hours spent trying to track down parcels that appear to be lost but then magically turn up a few days later.
That's pretty much the response I got back from them this morning. Maybe they only have dealings with DHL? I use Fedex at work for critical overseas shipments, and haven't had many problems with them.

Would you be willing to talk in private about using a more economical shipping service?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Here are the 4 different HT5 models side by side for comparison:

Lazer3D HT5 Product Page

Overclockers UK links:

HT5 Stealth
HT5 Graphite
HT5 Timber
HT5 Bourbon

Alternative Top Panels

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I got my shipping notice for my bourbon case a few days ago. I’m going to use it for my wife’s office pc with an i5 8400 and I’m wanting use one of the passive cooled low profile 1030’s like the model from asus and evga. Do you think they’d fit? I’ll power it al with a mini box Pico 160 kit.

Reactions: K888D and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I got my shipping notice for my bourbon case a few days ago. I’m going to use it for my wife’s office pc with an i5 8400 and I’m wanting use one of the passive cooled low profile 1030’s like the model from asus and evga. Do you think they’d fit? I’ll power it al with a mini box Pico 160 kit.
the passive low profile 1030's usually are 1.5 slots, they should fit no problem.

Reactions: kittysox

picov

Chassis Packer
Oct 28, 2018
Hi,
this case is killer product and probably is a good candidate for the smallest and powerful builds ever made.
The cooler clearance space and the options available for the two sides are perfect for high performance, quiet and yet stylish APU implementations.
However I've some doubts about GPU implementations and I'm trying to explain myself:
With a Noctua NH-L12S (70 mm height) the case could handle an i5-8600 and probably also an i7-8700 (non K versions).
The best matching Low Profile GPU available at this time should be the "old" GTX 1050 TI LP 4GB.
Since the above two complements (with board, RAM, SSDs... ) need at least 300W (as manufacturers say), a perfect choice could be the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX but with this configuration, however, there is no way to add extra case fans and I think that this probably leads to thermal problems.
The obvious alternative is installing two fans in place of the PSU but then the question become: how to properly power the whole system ?

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi,
this case is killer product and probably is a good candidate for the smallest and powerful builds ever made.
The cooler clearance space and the options available for the two sides are perfect for high performance, quiet and yet stylish APU implementations.
However I've some doubts about GPU implementations and I'm trying to explain myself:
With a Noctua NH-L12S (70 mm height) the case could handle an i5-8600 and probably also an i7-8700 (non K versions).
The best matching Low Profile GPU available at this time should be the "old" GTX 1050 TI LP 4GB.
Since the above two complements (with board, RAM, SSDs... ) need at least 300W (as manufacturers say), a perfect choice could be the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX but with this configuration, however, there is no way to add extra case fans and I think that this probably leads to thermal problems.
The obvious alternative is installing two fans in place of the PSU but then the question become: how to properly power the whole system ?

Thanks for the comments!

It's a difficult one to answer really, pairing a GTX 1050 Ti with an i7 8700 will likely result in the GPU bottlenecking the CPU in gaming scenarios, and so the CPU won't really be stressed that much. You would probably be better of saving some money and opting for something like an i5-8400.

That said, the NH-L12S should be able to handle the 8700 comfortably, but as you say the system would definitely benefit from 2 x 80mm case fans.

A GTX 1050 Ti only consumes 75w, so I don't think you need anywhere near 300w to power the system, in fact you should be safe with a 160w Direct Plug style PSU such as the PicoPSU 160-XT which has a peak supply of 200w, or the HDPLEX 160w Direct Plug. If anyone else has experience with this level of system and using these types of PSUs please chime in!

Using a Pico style PSU and external AC Adapter leaves the right side of the case free for you to install two case fans.

Reactions: smitty2k1

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I’ve ran an 8400 and 1050ti on a Pico 160 in my original s4-c for over a year now. No issues whatsoever powering it. My only concern with a half height 1050ti would be noise

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the comments!

It's a difficult one to answer really, pairing a GTX 1050 Ti with an i7 8700 will likely result in the GPU bottlenecking the CPU in gaming scenarios, and so the CPU won't really be stressed that much. You would probably be better of saving some money and opting for something like an i5-8400.

That said, the NH-L12S should be able to handle the 8700 comfortably, but as you say the system would definitely benefit from 2 x 80mm case fans.

A GTX 1050 Ti only consumes 75w, so I don't think you need anywhere near 300w to power the system, in fact you should be safe with a 160w Direct Plug style PSU such as the PicoPSU 160-XT which has a peak supply of 200w, or the HDPLEX 160w Direct Plug. If anyone else has experience with this level of system and using these types of PSUs please chime in!

Using a Pico style PSU and external AC Adapter leaves the right side of the case free for you to install two case fans.

Can you fit slim fans next to a low profile 1050 ti in this case, or is there not enough clearance on that side?

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Nothing crazy and I’ll try to get some better shots and work a bit on the hdplex wiring. This little thing was an absolute blast to build. Mostly just spare parts and a low profile passive 1030, the wife loves the look of it on the desk she painted!

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Lol I had a thermolab itx30 on it but I thought it was gonna burn the house down. As soon as we pull everything we want off her old pc I’ll put the nh-l9i on it. It’s an i5 8400 and it isles around 38-40 and for her office work I’ve not seen it much over 55. I’ll for sure take better pictures and work on the wiring a bit once I go to swap the cooler. I loved assembling the case, for sure one of the most fun builds I’ve done in ages.

Reactions: K888D and owliwar

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Looking at something along the following lines:

HT5
HDPlex 160 AC-DC and KMPKT Dynamo Mini
AMD Raven Ridge 2400G
Corsair 2x8GB 3200 LPT
Samsung EVO 970 500GB M.2
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX

That should leave a "module" open, so I was thinking about the 2x80 fans.

There's not terribly much gaming that would be going on here- is it worth it to switch out for a 2600 and a 1050ti low profile?
Anything overkill here? Also, which heatsink would people go for?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Looking at something along the following lines:

HT5
HDPlex 160 AC-DC and KMPKT Dynamo Mini
AMD Raven Ridge 2400G
Corsair 2x8GB 3200 LPT
Samsung EVO 970 500GB M.2
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX

That should leave a "module" open, so I was thinking about the 2x80 fans.

There's not terribly much gaming that would be going on here- is it worth it to switch out for a 2600 and a 1050ti low profile?
Anything overkill here? Also, which heatsink would people go for?

The 2400G is an excellent budget productivity processor, if you won't be doing any gaming then personally I don't see the need for upgrading to a 1050 Ti. The 2400G has decent enough integrated graphics for light gaming if you ever needed to as well.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I ordered some lighter grey panels to see what they would look like, along with some solid Ash wood for the front panel. In the flesh the panels have a sort of primer paint look, the colour shade is similar to a light concrete.

What do you guys think of these colours, yay or nay:

I'm also thinking of offering this material as an alternative colour for the LZ7 main panels.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I ordered some lighter grey panels to see what they would look like, along with some solid Ash wood for the front panel. In the flesh the panels have a sort of primer paint look, the colour shade is similar to a light concrete.

What do you guys think of these colours, yay or nay:

I'm also thinking of offering this material as an alternative colour for the LZ7 main panels.
I like