Production Lazer3D HT5 - Low Profile APU Case

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I cant think of an sff low-profile-gpu case off the top of my head!

On the usual retail sides.. perhaps Silverstone ML06-E (about 7L).

Edit: also Geeek A10, as well as Thermaltake SD101.

On the custom side.. Lone Industries's L4 come to mind. But must persuade the creator to build more :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The Gigabyte Z370N and the Asrock Z370 Fatal1ty both have HDMI 2.0.

I was missing from most the 200 series, so that's good news.

The main reason I think lots of people want a low profile GPU is because there are already a plethora of mainstream cases that handle the non-gpu scenario, and cheaply at that. E.g. Antec ISK110, HP DeskMini 800, etc etc.

There are plenty of tiny cases, but once you put a serious processor in them they turn into noisy hot boxes. That's what I'm trying to avoid with this case, allowing you to comfortably cool a high end CPU/APU quietly.

On the usual retail sides.. perhaps Silverstone ML06-E (about 7L).

There is also the Silverstone ML09-E.

Reactions: ignsvn

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
The main reason I think lots of people want a low profile GPU is because there are already a plethora of mainstream cases that handle the non-gpu scenario, and cheaply at that. E.g. Antec ISK110, HP DeskMini 800, etc etc.

I cant think of an sff low-profile-gpu case off the top of my head!
There's a few that can accept low profile as long as they're single slot. But that's it. As far as dual slot I can only think of the l4 and seeing as we can't get that now bam

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
There's a few that can accept low profile as long as they're single slot. But that's it. As far as dual slot I can only think of the l4 and seeing as we can't get that now bam

Scan sell the Silverstone ML06B-E and ML09B which are both compatible with low profile dual slot GPU's and SFX PSU's, they measure 7.1 litres.

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
That's really cool! I really like the design for the top panel, intake from one side and all the heat directly get out the case. I would like to buy one if it supports Flex-ATX power supply. In that case, you can put a silverstone nt06-pro inside it!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Any updates on this beautiful case?

Nothing new to report just yet sorry. I took a week off over Christmas to recharge the batteries and now I'm trying to catch up with the work that built up over the festive period! Hopefully I can get back onto this by the end of the month.

I would like to buy one if it supports Flex-ATX power supply. In that case, you can put a silverstone nt06-pro inside it!

Thanks for the comments, I considered Flex-ATX support, but I just couldn't get a design I was happy with that didn't compromise the design in one way or another. in the end I decided to stick with DC-DC power supplies and the potential to add internal AC-DC converters such as the 300w HDPLEX.

Regarding the NT06-PRO, that cooler is quite tall at 82mm. Once you factor in standoffs, motherboard thickness and CPU socket, it would mean the height of the case would need to be increased by around 12mm, which (I think) would throw off the low profile (console) style I'm going for with this.

You may be better off checking out Project Gregory from @owliwar as it has a bit more CPU clearance. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be putting together a prototype of his case for him, so keep an eye out for that.

GeSong

Chassis Packer
Jan 27, 2017
Nothing new to report just yet sorry. I took a week off over Christmas to recharge the batteries and now I'm trying to catch up with the work that built up over the festive period! Hopefully I can get back onto this by the end of the month.

Thanks for the comments, I considered Flex-ATX support, but I just couldn't get a design I was happy with that didn't compromise the design in one way or another. in the end I decided to stick with DC-DC power supplies and the potential to add internal AC-DC converters such as the 300w HDPLEX.

Regarding the NT06-PRO, that cooler is quite tall at 82mm. Once you factor in standoffs, motherboard thickness and CPU socket, it would mean the height of the case would need to be increased by around 12mm, which (I think) would throw off the low profile (console) style I'm going for with this.

You may be better off checking out Project Gregory from @owliwar as it has a bit more CPU clearance. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be putting together a prototype of his case for him, so keep an eye out for that.
Thank you for the sharing. Personally, I still think 82-85mm heatsink support would be better. With that clearance, both NT06-pro and Cryorig C1 replaced with a 140mm fan(25mm thick,120mm mounting holes) can be installed in this case. Due to my previous experience with AMD'S APU, it needs to be overclocked to get the best performance. Although Ryzen doesn't generate that much heat, but the GPU could still be really hot. Also, it's much easier to get a flex-atx power supply and some of them are even modular like Seasonic SSP-300SUG. I hope you could make several versions and I believe people will still love them.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Just a quick update - I'm still working on this case and with the recent AMD Ryzen Vega APU launching sooner than originally anticipated I'm trying to accelerate the development.

2 new prototypes have been completed with some nice updates and are currently being tested, I'm hoping to take some photos over the next few days, stay tuned!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Sneak peak photo, more details to follow!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Pretty stoked you have any ETA on this? @K888D
Looking to possibly build an app system for my wife. I hear her bitch about how slow her laptop is all the time and shes a huge sims fan and I know she'd rather have a laptop but we are going to have an office so she can keep her shitty one and have a desktop whichever she prefers to use at the moment is fine by me lol

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Pretty stoked you have any ETA on this? @K888D
Looking to possibly build an app system for my wife. I hear her bitch about how slow her laptop is all the time and shes a huge sims fan and I know she'd rather have a laptop but we are going to have an office so she can keep her shitty one and have a desktop whichever she prefers to use at the moment is fine by me lol
Thanks! I was originally aiming for March, but I don't think that's going to happen. Had a really busy start to the year pushing this back slightly.

April/May is probably a more realistic timeframe.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
There was also a lot of talk early in the thread about the possibility of adding support for LP GPU's, for all those people here is a photo to wet your appetite:

That would probably be the one I'd shoot for just for the possibility of expansion if it ever came to needing it I'd rather have the option than not we shall see though glad to hear there's a pretty close timeframe I like it excellent work

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
That would probably be the one I'd shoot for just for the possibility of expansion if it ever came to needing it I'd rather have the option than not we shall see though glad to hear there's a pretty close timeframe I like it excellent work
The current plan is for each to case to come with both rear panels and a bunch of different internal slot panels for all the different configurations.