L shaped risers?

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018

I'm looking for a riser cable that can go around the back of my heatsink without blocking it. And another one that can re-oirient it sideways. Anyone know of anything tat would work?

Mar 6, 2017
In the shape of an L on her forehead (sorry i had to...)

You mean a PCIe riser? Unless the case comes with one, it's probably best to go with a flexible riser, hard risers need to be pretty precise.

As for editing your post, there should be an edit button

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
In the shape of an L on her forehead (sorry i had to...)

You mean a PCIe riser? Unless the case comes with one, it's probably best to go with a flexible riser, hard risers need to be pretty precise.

As for editing your post, there should be an edit button
Whenever I try to edit I get an error about spam.

Can I fold a flexible pcie riser without problems? Or are there other options to make sure the thing gets enough airflow? I'm planning on using a fanless c7 for clearance reasons.

Mar 6, 2017
Whenever I try to edit I get an error about spam.

Can I fold a flexible pcie riser without problems? Or are there other options to make sure the thing gets enough airflow? I'm planning on using a fanless c7 for clearance reasons.

Looking at your profile, I see that you joined today - perhaps this is to prevent bot spam.

I wouldn't fold the riser, but it can bend. Don't do hard angles, curve it.

Reactions: moonmail

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
I would remove those ginormous fans and mount the GPU where it should go, then put some slim fans on the side if there's room. Then you could put a regular heatsink/fan combo for your cpu.

Reactions: thewizzard1

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
I would remove those ginormous fans and mount the GPU where it should go, then put some slim fans on the side if there's room. Then you could put a regular heatsink/fan combo for your cpu.

I'm putting a full height gpu in this thing, not a half height card.
The case is great for a low profile card and stock cooler, sadly that just isn't what I'm trying to do with this build.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I’ve gotten a few hard pci risers that L from Silverstones ML08 cases. But those 90* down away from the cpu area. You’re probably gonna have to use a cable unless someone else can chime in

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
IdotPC has some. They're called left angled risers because the connector points inward towards the motherboard instead of away from it. Will post a link later when I'm not on the phone.

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
IdotPC has some. They're called left angled risers because the connector
points inward towards the motherboard instead of away from it. Will post a link later when I'm not on the phone.
I'm afraid that's not what I'm looking for either, but closer! Thanks again for the help so far yall!

Building onto the Left angled riser concept I'm looking for something like that but with the chip in an L shape like this. This way my riser cable won't block off my cpu's air supply completely.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Your best (only) option will likely be to do it w/ a flexi riser. There are some that are quite short and options such as the HDPlex riser might be serviceable. Im almost certain what your looking for hasnt been made, or at least hasnt been made in enough quantity to have made it into the open market.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yep, if you want a riser like that, but rigid instead of flexible, you'd have to design it and have it made by special order with a manufacturer of circuit boards. And there have been a few projects on this forum that have made their own custom boards too!

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Yep, if you want a riser like that, but rigid instead of flexible, you'd have to design it and have it made by special order with a manufacturer of circuit boards. And there have been a few projects on this forum that have made their own custom boards too!
That's really cool to know. You wouldn't happen to know of any resources to help me make this a reality would you? Cost is definitely not an issue.

On a side note, do you know of any resources for fabbing a cpu cooler to boot?

moonmail

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
i don't think there'd be anyone highly knowledgable here who'd recommend sinking time and money into heatsinks from scratch on a hobbyist level ._.
Even if that's the case, if you guys know of any other forums with more of an enthusiast vibe that would be a huge help,
the end goal is to just have an easy way to mod the ml06e for heavier use, mailing and travel.

Communities like this have lead me to great companies like sunpower, and alexandra lighting systems; it never hurts to ask.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
mmm... this isn't an invation, but you could try asking kmpkt and dondan here regarding economics and a bit of basic heat dynamics. they're in the middle of development, so they probably can't talk cooling strategies with you (e.g. design)