Discussion 12700k CPU+Gigabyte Z690i+3070 HATE PCIE Riser Cables

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Just wanted throw out this PSA that the combo listed in the subject line simply doesn't work with a PCIE riser. Spent way too many hours trying to figure it out and my system is 100% stable after removing the PCIE riser. My system is now just sitting outside of case till my Sliger 610 arrives. I had my system in a Dan Case A4 (loved it), but all the crashing was unbearable.

What's everyone else's experience been with a riser cable on the new Alderlake CPUs and z690 boards?

edit: Looked everywhere in the BIOS to force back to PCIE gen 3 with no luck

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I assume your PCIE cable is Gen 3 (not faulty) and changing the PCIE option to Gen 3 in BIOS doesn't help?

Not an Alderlake user here, but am interested to see if anyone else has the same issues, what's the fault and if there's any solutions.

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Can't switch to gen 3 in BIOS (at least I couldn't find the option to switch in the BIOS after a lot of looking). I then purchased a linkup gen 4 riser and my system crashed, just not as often, as when I was running the gen 3 cable.

Yeah, the Gen 3 cable was not faulty as my old build (4770k+Asus Impact Board+3070) worked great on it.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
It's common for Gen3 riser to have issues with Gen4 GPUs, hence the recommendation to force Gen3.
Probably similar with Gen4 & Gen5 CPU, look for a PCIe config option in BIOS

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This topic is a good reminder how restrictive can be riser for SFF.
Gen 4 riser are not yet fully reliable (some gen 3 too)...and now Gen 5 with Alder lake...by 2022 we will have gen 5 gpu and it will be a mess again.

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
This topic is a good reminder how restrictive can be riser for SFF.
Gen 4 riser are not yet fully reliable (some gen 3 too)...and now Gen 5 with Alder lake...by 2022 we will have gen 5 gpu and it will be a mess again.
Yeah I spent months tinkering with different risers for Ryzen 5000 only to end up using a Gen 3 setup. And the biggest irony is that there is no GPU out there maxing out Gen3, so Gen5 appears to be an unnecessary complication…

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah I spent months tinkering with different risers for Ryzen 5000 only to end up using a Gen 3 setup. And the biggest irony is that there is no GPU out there maxing out Gen3, so Gen5 appears to be an unnecessary complication…
So far, for GPU, Gen 4 & Gen 5 only inflated prices of MB for no actual usage/advantage for standard consumers.
Already for gen 2 vs gen 3 it tooks years to become barely noticeable (for gamers).