Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
1.) The unit is certified for CE/RoHS/FCC

2.) The DC connectors for passthrough (ie. from DC-ATX to your motherboard) will be for 5.5mm OD and 7.r OD connectors. There will also be a 4 pin DIN (Kycon I believe) to match the AsRock Deskmini GTX/RX series units.

3.) The main unit is 360W. It uses slightly smaller inductors than the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX to reduce height hence the smaller rated wattage.

4.) Yes you can daisy-chain two Dynamos for a 720W solution and then a Dynamo Mini for a 920W solution.

5.) The true intention of this unit is to pair two HDPlex 300W AC-DC into a 600W AC-DC supply, but we haven't got the merging device finalized yet. In the meantime the unit should allow for a very nice pairing with the Dell 330W. hopefully leading to less coil whine as both units will be vastly under rating when compared to the 400W DC-ATX.

6) The cables will be all black, but not ribbon style unfortunately (high overhead to have these made in small quantities).
I've decided to have some nice necroposting right there!
Hey, @Kmpkt, is the merging device a part of s4m brickless kit you're working on right now or is it a separate unit that would have a different release timeframe?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey, @Kmpkt, is the merging device a part of s4m brickless kit you're working on right now or is it a separate unit that would have a different release timeframe?

The Merge is presumably a ways out. I've just had a merging unit developed for another project I am working on, but I am not certain it will work for the HDPlex AC-DC system in its current incarnation (but I will check). If it does, then I could realistically have it ready inside of the next couple of months.

Can you provide 3d modeling for designer?
I think this one + Hdplex 300W AC/DC is good choice.

As @ChairmanDev pointed out, you can use the model found here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/kmpkt-dynamo-360-dc-atx.107/

Reactions: cmyk78

chenhaus

Efficiency Noob
Dec 14, 2017
FYI, ordered a bunch more of these things. They work awesome! But the latest batch are missing the little jumper. Had some laying around so we were able to get running no problems.

Zanewinter77

Efficiency Noob
Sep 15, 2017
To answer your first question, yes that is exactly how this unit works. The board has a 19V through flow that will let you hook it up to the HD Plex 160W via 6 pin or any other 19V based unit (Mini STX, Micro STX, Thin ITX, NUC, Brix, etc.). I am also releasing my own version of the 160W I'm calling the Dynamo Mini with a matching heatsink for those that care about aesthetics.

To answer your second question, yes the largest readily available PSU on the market is the Dell which peaks at 330W max. My solution to this problem will be a third product I am calling the KMPKT Merge. The Merge will be a much beefier version of this load sharing device you can find on Mini Box.

What the Merge will do is allow you to put two compatible AC-DC power supplies together to form a single power supply. If you want to run the Dynamo and Dynamo mini at spec, you can simply use the Merge on one HD Plex 160W AC-DC combined with one HD Plex 300W AC-DC. If you want to push the limits a bit (at your own peril), you can pair two HD Plex 300W AC-DC units. Along the same lines, if you want to keep your enclosure small, you can use the Merge to add together a pair of Dell 330W bricks for an absolutely beastly 660W of power. Additionally you can use a 160W AC-DC with the Dynamo Mini and a 300W with the Dynamo as they can sync power on/of through a special header which eliminates the need for the Merge altogether (basically they act as two discrete systems coordinating through a special set of headers.

How exactly does this power the Mini STX, Micro STX, Thin ITX, etx? does the kit come with the 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel connector? I know it have the 19v to power it, but how can you get the power to the Motherboard?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The kit comes with a 6 pin to 5.5mm barrel connector and a 5.5 to 7.4mm barrel adapter. It was supposed to come with a 4 pin DIN as well, but there was a mixup at the factory and it ships with a male end instead of a female end for the DIN. If you're proficient at wiring you could easily change this yourself, but it just wasn't worth it to fix for this revision.

Reactions: Phuncz

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

I need some help to verify I'm getting the working of the Dynamo Power Supplies by Mr KMPKT
Thanks in advance for your help.

- If I want to build a system that has a power consumption lower than 160W I can get the Dynamo Mini 160 DC-ATX. It provides power to motherboard, cpu, sata drives and a "small" graphics card. It needs to be powered by an AC-DC unit that can be external or internal. Can such unit be the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC? Does it require any special cable or the 4 pin one that I see in the HDPLEX 160W photos would work?

- If I want to build a system that requires more than say 180W I should get the Dynamo 360 DC-ATX. BUT how do I connect it to the motherboard as it doesn't have the 24pin ATX plug? Does the Dynamo 360 DC-ATX REQUIRE the Dynamo Mini 160 DC-ATX to function beside an external or internal AC-DC power unit with sufficient power?

Also what kind of efficiency are the two units rated for?
Thanks a lot!

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If I want to build a system that has a power consumption lower than 160W I can get the Dynamo Mini 160 DC-ATX. It provides power to motherboard, cpu, sata drives and a "small" graphics card. It needs to be powered by an AC-DC unit that can be external or internal. Can such unit be the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC? Does it require any special cable or the 4 pin one that I see in the HDPLEX 160W photos would work?

HDPLEX 160W AC-DC is a perfect pairing for the Dynamo Mini. You will not require any cables for this combo save for the wall socket to IEC cable (standard PC wall plug cable).

If I want to build a system that requires more than say 180W I should get the Dynamo 360 DC-ATX. BUT how do I connect it to the motherboard as it doesn't have the 24pin ATX plug? Does the Dynamo 360 DC-ATX REQUIRE the Dynamo Mini 160 DC-ATX to function beside an external or internal AC-DC power unit with sufficient power?

If you're going to use 180W the Dynamo Mini should be fine. It is rated to a peak of 200W, but I generally don't suggest you push it that hard all of the time. If you want to build a system around the Dynamo 360 then you need to use the Dynamo Mini to power the 24 pin power header on your motherboard or get a motherboard that handles DC power conversion onboard (ie. Mini STX, Micro STX, Thin Mini ITX, NUC).

Reactions: zzmadd

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The 24V should work fine. We've had people using over 24V with the system for off-grid and solar applications safely. I would love to see one of those rigged up to the Dynamo system as I've been looking at them for a long time.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
What about this one: Cosel TUNS500F
Dimensions (H x W x L) 117.3x12.7x61.5mm
NOTE: This module requires external circuit & heat design.
External Trim Resistor Value Calculation
Model name TUNS500F28
Adjustment range 22.40 ~ 33.60V
Desired output voltage [24] V
Calculated resistor value 140.25kΩ
Recommended value [130] kΩ
23.753V (23.386V~24.12V)

Last edited:
Reactions: Julio Espinosa

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
Just fyi: the linked ac-dc converters are both not complete power supplies - they have no cooling capacity by themselves so you'll need to design a heatsink that can dissipate about 40-50W of heat from the module.
It needs a filter board (~40x40x9.3).
It's still small even double size.

Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I was about to mention that too, as needs this board as a supplement to the AC-DC converter. The ends are screw terminals so at least wiring is more straightforward.

Reactions: Biowarejak