Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
You can't escape VAT as a consumer if you live in Europe!

Anything sold to an EU resident has VAT applied to it at some point in the chain, either at the point of import or the point of sale to the end buyer. The rate of VAT is dependant on which country it is being sold out of (UK currently has rate of 20%). The VAT collected from the sale is then passed onto the local government by the importer/retailer.

If you are VAT registered and sell to a non EU resident then you do not have to charge VAT if you can prove the export.

At least this is my understanding of the system as a VAT registered individual!

At least at the very consumer-end of the purchase, "essentials" (in the UK at least) don't have VAT applied there, nor do things being sold to people who need them due to a disability (provided that can be proved).

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's alive! Currently running the Dynamo and Dynamo Mini for the first time in combination with the HDPlex 300W AC-DC. Setting my my "test bench" tonight and hoping to stress test everything tomorrow with a 7700K and GTX 1080. All things going well, I hope to do a combined Prime 95 and Furmark on this unit to see if I can push consumption to or just above 300W for the system. If anyone wants me to test anything else with this combo, please speak up.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
This might be a weird thing to ask, but would it be possible to power two motherboards and CPU's using two Dynamo Mini's hooked up to one Dynamo?

I had this thought while I was watching water boil, and it just sort of stuck in my head. Absolutely no practicality to this whatsoever, just being curious.

Reactions: Biowarejak and zovc

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hypothetically if you split the 19V out in two, I don't see why not. Alternatively, I believe you would also be able to run a 12V pico off one of the 8 pin PCIe sockets and a 19V off the intended 19V through flow.

Also the practicality to this could be running two PCs, one for gaming and one for streaming, in the same SFF enclosure. I'd love to see someone do a double ITX build like this.

Reactions: zovc

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That would be pretty cool. I might try it as I have a spare Mini STX board sitting around.

Reactions: royalba94

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I don't think VAT is eliminated if it comes from within Europe. VAT is simply applied to any good classified as being a "luxury" rather than an "essential". Although, it can get quite complex at times depending on who is buying it, and even just some specifics regarding the product.
The goal of an EU shipping hub is not to eliminate VAT (as VAT needs to be paid regardless), but to consolidate tax and customs charging. If you can import 100 units in a shipment, you pay customs processing fees once and pass on 1/100 of those fees to the recipient. If you direct-ship, every recipient pays the full customs charge for every shipment. e.g. If customs processing is €15, then using a hub means every recipient pays VAT + €0.15 on top of unit cost, rather than VAT + €15. Some of this saving is balanced by extra cost in shipping twice (once to hub, once again to recipient) but this can also be a point of saving if the initial batch is packed compactly and/or sent via sea freight.

Commander Mushu

Case Bender
May 16, 2017
It's alive! Currently running the Dynamo and Dynamo Mini for the first time in combination with the HDPlex 300W AC-DC. Setting my my "test bench" tonight and hoping to stress test everything tomorrow with a 7700K and GTX 1080. All things going well, I hope to do a combined Prime 95 and Furmark on this unit to see if I can push consumption to or just above 300W for the system. If anyone wants me to test anything else with this combo, please speak up.

First post on SFFF but I discovered this website, and this project, two days ago -- all I've done since is read and plan. I want to start off by saying I have a lot of admiration for what I've seen on these forums, and by thanking the small form factor community in general. I've stumbled onto an inspiring level of passion.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance if there's deliberate reasoning behind this, but don't you think it would look better to have the 24-pin connector on the Dynamo Mini oriented the other way (ie: so the heatsink is facing out instead up huddled up against the RAM)? Is this even possible from a technical standpoint?

Also, what are you using for the "test bench" in these pictures? I'd love to get my hands on one.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It's really a matter of space. The heatsink is actually being slimmed from 6mm to 3mm due to RAM overlap. To have it the other way would be completely impossible since the 4 pin SATA headers have a ~10mm clearance.

As far as the "test bench", it's the poor man's solution of a Caselabs replacement tray for their ITX case:

http://www.caselabs-store.com/mitx-motherboard-trays-pricing-varies/

16.95 each and does the job perfectly well. Also worth mentioning that it comes complete with four screws and appropriately measured brass standoffs so you can set it up without purchasing anything else.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@Kmpkt

So tell me if I have this correct...

Two HDPlex 300w AC-DC units, one Merge unit, one Dynamo unit, & one Dynamo Mini unit; would this be the set-up for a fully loaded X299 / GTX 1080Ti setup...?

I am talking about the new ASRock X299 ITX MB; loaded with an i9-7800K, NH-D9L CPU cooler, 64GB RAM (four SO-DIMMs), three M.2 SSDs, & a Zotac GTX 1080Ti Mini GPU...

PCPartsPicker gives a rough estimate of 521 watts (this includes a single 140mm & two 80mm chassis fans ) for this...

EDIT TO ADD:

How would the AC input work with this...? Would there need to be two C14 connectors on the chassis, or could both HDPlex 300w AC-DC units feed off of one C14 connector...?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The IEC socket will split to the two 300W AC-DC units and then they will merge back down into a single input to the Dynamo/Dynamo Mini combo. The system should manage that hardware comfortably.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Doing one final pass on the design as I wasn't totally happy with the first two prototypes. Lead time looks like about 45 days, so I'm hoping for late July/early August right now.

Reactions: VegetableStu

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I know this has nothing to do with the Dynamo, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm impressed with the stack of Schiit you have on your desk.

Back on topic, for those of you interested in using a Dynamo, Dynamo Mini, Dynamo merginand two HDPlex 300W AC-DC units. At what point does it make more sense just to use a 600W SFX PSU? I'm not saying it's not a cool idea. I think the product is awesome. Just asking.

Reactions: br3nd0

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The longer term goal is to get a larger single unit AC-DC supply to drive the system and the goal would be 400-450W at a minimum. I am currently working on sourcing something along these lines and actually spoke with a couple more notable distributors while at Computex. I would agree that using two 300W units doesn't really make sense for most people when you consider that higher quality 600W SFX units are becoming more and more plentiful while also being substantially cheaper. I would say the two upsides to using my solution vs. an SFX unit would be complete silence and a more varied choice of layout. As an example, you could reasonably place two 300W units along the length of a 267mm+ GPU for space optimization in a small case or eGPU enclosure.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Hey Kmpkt, do you by any chance have measurements for the dimensions of the C14 inlet and the length of the wires from the inlet to the HDplex AC-DC?

Also, you mentioned before you wanted standard mounts for the Dynamo and other DC-DC units. Would you happen to have a rough idea on what that mounting might look like? What would you recommend for mounting the Dynamo?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...larger single unit AC-DC supply to drive the system and the goal would be 400-450W at a minimum

...two upsides to using my solution vs. an SFX unit would be complete silence and a more varied choice of layout.

Yes...!

&

This...!

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
The longer term goal is to get a larger single unit AC-DC supply to drive the system and the goal would be 400-450W at a minimum. I am currently working on sourcing something along these lines and actually spoke with a couple more notable distributors while at Computex. I would agree that using two 300W units doesn't really make sense for most people when you consider that higher quality 600W SFX units are becoming more and more plentiful while also being substantially cheaper. I would say the two upsides to using my solution vs. an SFX unit would be complete silence and a more varied choice of layout. As an example, you could reasonably place two 300W units along the length of a 267mm+ GPU for space optimization in a small case or eGPU enclosure.

Completely 100% Yes!
(Would die for even a 450W 80+ silver semi-modular PSU in the TFX layout by someone I can trust!)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi,

What's the status of the prototype phase ? Possible to "borrow" your proto to test in a Thin Mini-ITX system ?