Just got my dan v4.1 silver, but run into a problem when mounting the bottom fans

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Here that giant power supply cable conflicts with the 9015 under the mobo. Is it meant to be like that? I could force the power plug in but the cable will be squeezed.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Completely normal phenomenon. Good luck with the MB power connector on the other side, just above the fan... THAT will be squeezed 😁

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
It is as it's intended - however your concern is very much understandable. People are usually mindful with their precious new components and I can't say I didn't find it a bit uncomfortable too. Thought about chipping down some of the plastic, but discarded the idea.
Maybe one can smooth down the edge of the fan bracket a bit, so it won't cut into the cable in such a sharp fashion. But it is fine. It does leave a mark on it, but that power cord is tough enough.

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Thanks to all the replies. And here comes the finished build :)

Reactions: Shaytanya

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Thanks to all the replies. And here comes the finished build :)
Nice setup! I just recieved 3 noctuas to replace both bottom case fans + BlackRidge. 3 months ago I deshrouded my 2070 with 3 noctuas and it was like night and day both thermal and noise wise. I'll now round up the system with 3 more, wich implies removing the motherboard, cpu cooler and the HDD tray. Endless fun awaits me 😬

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Nice setup! I just recieved 3 noctuas to replace both bottom case fans + BlackRidge. 3 months ago I deshrouded my 2070 with 3 noctuas and it was like night and day both thermal and noise wise. I'll now round up the system with 3 more, wich implies removing the motherboard, cpu cooler and the HDD tray. Endless fun awaits me 😬
Do post some pics of that build please once it's done.

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Thx. A new discovery: I found the bottom fan under the mobo gets really noisy when used as exhaust. The reason is the edge of the mobo is too close to the fan (it’s actually touching the fan frame) , blocking the air swirl going into the fan. This holds true for any 9015 and Noctuas.
A 3-5mm clearance will eliminate the noise, but I couldn’t find any 9010 available. So I ordered a 9012 instead to see if it will perform quietly. Will update then.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Thx. A new discovery: I found the bottom fan under the mobo gets really noisy when used as exhaust. The reason is the edge of the mobo is too close to the fan (it’s actually touching the fan frame) , blocking the air swirl going into the fan. This holds true for any 9015 and Noctuas.
A 3-5mm clearance will eliminate the noise, but I couldn’t find any 9010 available. So I ordered a 9012 instead to see if it will perform quietly. Will update then.
Can relate, since my MoBo has 3 fan headers I use an special fan curve for that one in order to reduce some of the noise. In fact, the clearance is so inexistent that I had to cut the clip retainer of the 8pin power connector, since it prevented the fan to spin.
I currently have a 9015 and will use the noctua 9014 without any rubber pads to get as much clearance of the MoBo edge as possible. I suspect the gain will be pretty marginal but it would be a gain nonetheless.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
No rubber pads is a good idea, also try bending the riser in a much sudden fashion so that it can remain as high as possible. Even leading it on the gpu side instead if the mobo is advisable I think (between the plastic sheet and the metal frame).

Pancake

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Can relate, since my MoBo has 3 fan headers I use an special fan curve for that one in order to reduce some of the noise. In fact, the clearance is so inexistent that I had to cut the clip retainer of the 8pin power connector, since it prevented the fan to spin.
I currently have a 9015 and will use the noctua 9014 without any rubber pads to get as much clearance of the MoBo edge as possible. I suspect the gain will be pretty marginal but it would be a gain nonetheless.
I happily cut the clip on the 8pin and then found I had cut the psu side😭

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Do post some pics of that build please once it's done.
Sure thing!

Last weekend I had time to make it and the results are great. I hadn't time to make the thermal and acoustic test yet but it seems quieter. We'll see.

First things first: the case before the dismantling (GPU side with the Noctua deshroud, later a closer pic)

I didn't take pic of the "before" CPU side, so this one is after "noctuarizing" it. (Notice the thin autoadhesive foam on the BlackRidge edges to create a minimal duct against the side panel

Out with the old

Detail of the BR base machining. Besides having the base nickel plated the surface finishing could be a lot better. I was tempted on do a lapping mod but it would remove the nickel so I decided to left it stock.

Rubber gasket, wich I already had with the old fan

And the noctua, with slightly shortened screws (because of the 14mm vs 15mm previous thickness)

Under MoBo fan, without any rubber dampers as planned

And the under PSU one. I refused to lose the HDD tray because of the fan, so I made my own longer screws with the rubber inserts and made it work. As you see there is enough clearance for the cables and 2 HDD. I admit that fan is partilally blocked and perhaps 2-3mm more would be nice but it would require making new screws and I was lazy 😬

All mounted again. Here is the closer GPU picture. Notice the "heat shield" just up the HDD tray. It is an aluminium autoadhesive foil glued to herself to make it double layer. His function is to deflect the heat dump of the GPU to the side so it can escape through the side panel or being sucked by either the undermobo fan or the HDD tray one without overheating the drives just under it. Cheap and efective ✌️

And that would be my 4 hours of fun summarized for you 😉

Last edited: