Completed Jeffinslaw's Trials and Tribulations of Designing a Case

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Saw you buildlog on OCN as well, this is pretty cool! I think there would be ways around the standoff at the bottom, and I don't even think it's really that important for stability. You could just use a long screw there that has a veeery thick washer underneath, more like a short piece of tube. That way you wouldn't be limited by the lengths of standoffs available on the market. The tube could be glued on the mount to make installation a bit easier.

Oh and remember, this part will be hidden underneath the mainboard, it doesn't really matter if it looks good or not.

And yeah, work in parallel, render in perspective.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Saw you buildlog on OCN as well, this is pretty cool! I think there would be ways around the standoff at the bottom, and I don't even think it's really that important for stability. You could just use a long screw there that has a veeery thick washer underneath, more like a short piece of tube. That way you wouldn't be limited by the lengths of standoffs available on the market. The tube could be glued on the mount to make installation a bit easier.

Oh and remember, this part will be hidden underneath the mainboard, it doesn't really matter if it looks good or not.

And yeah, work in parallel, render in perspective.

I'll be using an "odd" setup for mounting the motherboard. It will be a #6-32 7/8" countersunk screw through a #6-32 1/2" hex standoff with a #6-32 hex nut to secure the board. I'm going to leave that mounting point. It allows me to have five PCIe slots which I think is perfect.

I've got a question for you guys, what are the dimensional locations for the PCIe hold down screw holes? Picture:

Thanks! -Jeffinslaw

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Here's what I have:

8.3mm from the PCI bracket centerline, 4.8mm from the inside surface of the chassis.
I agree with the 4.8mm, but how did you get the 8.3 from the centerline?
From the drawings in the PCIe standard, the centerpoint of the PCIe bracket mounting slot is on the exact same height as the bottom of a bracket, which is 9.21mm away from the centerline.
Did you move the screw hole up so it's tangential with the PCIe mounting slot instead of parallel?

Parallel on the left, tangential on the right:

Reactions: owliwar

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I agree with the 4.8mm, but how did you get the 8.3 from the centerline?
From the drawings in the PCIe standard, the centerpoint of the PCIe bracket mounting slot is on the exact same height as the bottom of a bracket, which is 9.21mm away from the centerline.
Did you move the screw hole up so it's tangential with the PCIe mounting slot instead of parallel?

Parallel on the left, tangential on the right:
Well, you're right - my numbers are off. This is what happens when you neglect to correct something and then forget about it :p
Pretty sure I was using measurements from Protocase at some point, and those didn't quite match up the specs. After we submitted the files to LL, they corrected it but I never updated my model. So re-checking things against the spec model, what I have now is 4.9mm and 9.215mm from the centerline

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, you're right - my numbers are off. This is what happens when you neglect to correct something and then forget about it :p
Pretty sure I was using measurements from Protocase at some point, and those didn't quite match up the specs. After we submitted the files to LL, they corrected it but I never updated my model. So re-checking things against the spec model, what I have now is 4.9mm and 9.215mm from the centerline

Yeah that seems more like it :) It's an interesting idea to have tangential holes, though. Especially when you have an upside down setup where the brackets would rest on the screws. Rather cool that LianLi actually checked your drawings to comply with the standard, I wouldn't have expected that.

Reactions: Kip

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks for the help guys! I've got some more double checks I want your guys' help with. Here are the dimensions for the PCIe cutouts:

A little hard to see but the length of the slot cutout is 100mm long and 13mm wide. The first cut out is located 4.5mm from the cutout for the back I/O. The next PCIe slot cutout is located 7.5mm below the first one. The other cutouts are because I am using 1/2" standoffs. The I/O plate cutout is located 8.5mm from the edge of the case. Do these dimensions seem correct when account for a 1/2" standoff that will be sitting on the motherboard tray with a standard bend on 2mm thick cold rolled steel?

Here are the dimensions for the motherboard mounting locations. They are measured from the lower corner of the I/O cutout as per mATX specs.

They are measured from that corner to Datum 0,0 (check mATX spec sheet for reference). They are all correct but they just look slightly off...

I REALLY appreciate the help guys!

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For the motherboard IO cutout, position the height according to the top of the standoffs. According to the spec the bottom edge of the IO cutout should be 2.24mm below the top of the standoffs.

I have the first PCI cutout 5.6mm below the mobo IO cutout and 15.9mm wide. Spec calls for a fairly narrow opening but the video card makers don't follow spec so it's better to go wider on the cutouts.

Standoff locations look correct to me.

Reactions: Pibsen

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
For the motherboard IO cutout, position the height according to the top of the standoffs. According to the spec the bottom edge of the IO cutout should be 2.24mm below the top of the standoffs.

I have the first PCI cutout 5.6mm below the mobo IO cutout and 15.9mm wide. Spec calls for a fairly narrow opening but the video card makers don't follow spec so it's better to go wider on the cutouts.

Standoff locations look correct to me.

Or with other words, go from the bottom of the boards PCB. But yes, 2.24mm are the correct dimension there.

Another tip: Normally, you dimension feature patterns like these PCIe slots according to the same edge or point, in most cases the centerline. That way, if you change the size of the cutout, its position doesn't change. And statements like the one from Aibo become less confusing ;)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Another tip: Normally, you dimension feature patterns like these PCIe slots according to the same edge or point, in most cases the centerline. That way, if you change the size of the cutout, its position doesn't change. And statements like the one from Aibo become less confusing ;)
If you're using a parametric modeler this sounds much better than my way :p

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
New banner:

Adding the screw hole locations for the PCIe cards and it's time to start contacting manufactures. Quick question, what should I search for in Google for a shop? "Machining shop"? The closest location for me to find anyone decent to do the manufacturing would be in Spokane, WA if anyone has any suggestions.

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Many machine shops have limited sheet metal capabilities. You'll want to look for a shop that does sheet metal first and machining second, if at all.

ThomasNet is the best resource for this kind of search because there are good shops with no presence on Google. Here's a search for "sheet metal fabricators" within 50 miles of Spokane: http://www.thomasnet.com/local.html...=NA&radius=50&zip=99205&x=0&y=0&navsec=modify

They're in Reno, NV but you may check out Sliger Designs, @KSliger could say for sure but I'm almost 100% certain they have the capabilities to make your design like you want.

Reactions: Jeffinslaw

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I can also introduce you to Mercury Tool in Waco, TX -- they have done cases for me and have the capabilities you are looking for in sheet metal. Plus they do great machine work!

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Many machine shops have limited sheet metal capabilities. You'll want to look for a shop that does sheet metal first and machining second, if at all.

ThomasNet is the best resource for this kind of search because there are good shops with no presence on Google. Here's a search for "sheet metal fabricators" within 50 miles of Spokane: http://www.thomasnet.com/local.html...=NA&radius=50&zip=99205&x=0&y=0&navsec=modify

They're in Reno, NV but you may check out Sliger Designs, @KSliger could say for sure but I'm almost 100% certain they have the capabilities to make your design like you want.

I have PM'd him. Thanks for the link by the way, never heard of that resource. Thanks!

I can also introduce you to Mercury Tool in Waco, TX -- they have done cases for me and have the capabilities you are looking for in sheet metal. Plus they do great machine work!

PM'd about getting in contact with these guys!

-Jeffinslaw

*EDIT* Came up with some pump mounts for common DDC and D5 pumps. Made sure to leave 1cm after the bend open as per previous instructions in this thread.

DDC version.

D5 version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
Great freak'n build logs! I'm loving this. wonderful to find a log where peeps are digging into all the details. and thanks to the participants for sharing those nice resources to shops. Wust keep up with this one!

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I feel so bad that I have neglected this log! I actually have two prototypes in my hands and I've had them for awhile. Here are some pictures:

Should be able to purchase the case for yourself in a matter of days if interested!

-Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
It certainly isn't "sharp" due to the powder coat dulling the point essentially. I've handled the case a LOT since I've gotten it and none of the corners have caused any issues.

Reactions: Biowarejak