Enclosure ITX / SFF Case Contest #1 - LC-Power LC-1500Smi Review

Crossfire Machines

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
In the following test I take a closer look at the LC-1500Smi from LC-Power, a Cube ITX case with support for ATX power supplies and a 120mm fan, which is available for only 35 Euro.

Mirror for all pictures can be found here
Iam not a native english speaker, so bear with my mistakes :D
German Version can be found here and here !
If you would like get in touch with me or ask questions, just send me an PM or leave a comment

Features/Specs

Size (H x W x D): 25,8cm x 22,2cm x 21,3cm
Volume: 12,2 litre
Weight: 1,38kg
Material: Aluminium

CPU-Cooler: up to 95mm (and a bit more if you use an SFX-PSU)
GPU: 2 Slot up to 190mm in length
PSU: ATX or SFX (brakcet required)
Fans: 1x 120mm (top) + 1x 60mm (rear)

> Datasheet / Manufacturer Page

Packaging / Delivery

The case comes securely packed in a brown cardboard box with the usual imprints of a schematic and the basic features ... and a handle!
No corners were cut for interior padding, the accessories are in a separate box, the case is wrapped in plastic foil and is surrounded by rubberlike foam, no hard styrofoam!

This foam is (unfortunately) only used in a few, rather expensive cases from manufacturers such as Phanteks, Lian-Li or IN WIN. In fact, a packaging like this is well suited to transport the finished system inside, e.g. when visiting a LAN. Very praiseworthy!

Assemly
The side panels are connected to the housing cage with 5 (!) screws on the side, bottom and back.
Once you've removed all the screws, you'll be greeted by a surprising amount of space:

The spacious interior naturally wants to be filled, I would recommend the following order:
  1. Install CPU, RAM and M.2 SSD into the mainboard.
  2. Connect Front USB/Panel/Audio, ATX and EPS Power outside the case
  3. Mount the CPU cooler
  4. Lift mainboard into case and screw tight
  5. Screw 2.5" HDDs / SSDs to the bottom of the housing
  6. Remove PCI cover
  7. Slot in your graphics card
  8. Connect ATX, EPS and GPU power to the PSU
  9. Install PSU in the case
  10. Insert the supplied dust filter into the top
  11. Tighten the side panel again
There is enough space between the mainboard and the case front to store the ATX power cord as well as the (unfortunately somewhat long) cables for the front USB, audio and power switch. If you don't want to install a 120mm fan in the top, you can also use the extra space to give the CPU cooler,(which is partly covered by the power supply) a little more breathing room. Otherwise it is the usual ITX "cram & stuff" of the cables, no cable ducts or anchor points availiable.

Due to the comparatively spacious size of the LC-1500Smi and the open design, installation is easy and quick. Theoretically, the board can be installed first and then the CPU cooler is installed, the whole backside of the mainboard is accessible.

Front

PSU Side - with panel

PSU Side - without panel

Rear with my 3d-printed SFX-bracket

Mainboard - Side

Hello, it's me from the other side!

Temperatures

All data from stresstests and benchmarks were logged with Aida64 Extreme 5.98.4800 in intervals of 1 second.
Each test ran for 30 minutes, then 30 minutes "cooling time".
The ambient temperature was also recorded every 30 minutes and is subtracted so that different ambient temperatures do not falsify the final result and allow direct comparison between the cases. All temperature data (dCPU & dGPU) are therefore delta values, thus the difference to the room temperature and not the direct component temperature.

The maximum component temperature for every test is listed below each graph, but is for illustration purposes only and cannot be used to compare the cases directly!

Hardware:
  • Intel Core i5 6600K (Delid - 4,4Ghz @ 1,25V Locked
  • Gigabyte Z270N-WIFI (BIOS F6d)
  • 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury (HX421C14FBK2/16)
  • CRYORIG C1 with CP7 Thermal Paste, fixed at 60% PWM - 1030RPM
  • KFA2 GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, fixed at 60% PWM - 1100RPM
  • Samsung M.2 SATA SSD
  • Chieftec CSN-550C 550W SFX-PSU

3DMark – Firestrike Combined

Peak Temperature:: 63°C CPU Package - 68°C GPU
Ambient: 22,1°C - 22,3°C

Aida64

Peak Temperature: 65°C CPU Package - 34°C GPU
Ambient: 20,7°C - 20,8°C

Unigene Heaven

Peak Temperature: 57°C CPU Package - 66°C GPU
Ambient: 21,4°C - 22,1°C

Aida 64 + Unigene Heaven

Peak Temperature: 76°C CPU Package - 70°C GPU
Ambient: 22,3°C -22,5°C

Prime95

Peak Temperature: 78°C CPU Package - 36°C GPU
Ambient: 20,9°C - 21,4°C

These temperatures are really good!
The CPU never exceeds the 80°C mark and even the graphics card stays at a maximum of 70°C.
Without active case fans and only with the "passive" airflow from the CPU cooler and graphics card, the LC-1500Smi still manages to get enough fresh air into the case - probably through the generous air inlets on the power supply side, bottom, lid and back. As long as the bottom is not equipped with hard disks, the graphics card can be supplied directly through the air holes, and the temperatures drop out accordingly. All in all a very positive result!

Compatible Hardware

CPU-Cooler
> Cryorig C1 / Noctua NH-L12 / AMD Wraith Max

Graphics Card
> Gigabyte Mini / MSI Aero ITX / Sapphire Pulse ITX

Case Fans (120mm)
> Artic F12 / beQuiet! Pure Wings 2 / Cooltek SF 120

Case Fans (60mm)
> Chieftec AF-0625S / Cooltek Silent Fan 60 / Nanoxia Deep Silence NDS 60

Conclusion

With this LC-1500Smi and the LC-1500Bmi (identical in construction, but in black) LC-Power offers a cheap ITX-Cube case with surprisingly much space and good temperature values. The brushed aluminum is light, but assembled the case is very stable and not "rickety" like other cases in the price range. I especially liked the possibility to use an ATX power supply, as these are usually much cheaper than SFX power supplies of similar quality.
The large, smooth surfaces almost invite you to foil the case if you don't like the silver.

Alternatively Sharkoon offers with the CA-I an identical case in black (but with branding). If you want to go mATX, they also offer a CA-M which is mostly similar in design.

Overall LC-Power can deliver a solid, simple case for an attractive price, which definitely can be recommend!

Reactions: el01 and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanx for this complete and in-depth review! :thumb:

Could you tell us more about you 3D printed SFX bracket?
It seems very sturdy, what material is it made from and with what thickness?
Do you have more pics of it?

Reactions: Crossfire Machines

Crossfire Machines

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Thanx for this complete and in-depth review! :thumb:

Could you tell us more about you 3D printed SFX bracket?
It seems very sturdy, what material is it made from and with what thickness?
Do you have more pics of it?

Thanks!
I printed it with PLA "only" but with 100% infill
Files and more pictures can be found here

Reactions: BaK