Rumor Is that a DTX AM4 board from Asus ROG?

Screencap from this Linus Tech Tips video:

-Mounting hole in the top corner = ITX width.
-Space below the GPU PCIe slot for ... what looks like an audio+m.2 sandwich setup Like they've had before.
-THAT I/O block. Are there fans inside of that giant block?

If this thing fits inside my H200i, I don't think I could help myself.

Of course, the ITX one in the top looks impressive too, even if it looks more like an architectural experiment than a motherboard.

Edit:
More details from TPU. DTX is ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, ITX is ROG Strix X570-I Gaming.

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
It is:

I think DTX is a good option, in the Ncase for example. The 2 fans in the Chipset, VRM Assembly could get annoying, but if the VRM is as powerful as claimed, they maybe don't spin that often. The Cipset shouldn't get super hot on ITX either, with its limited connectivity *hoping*

The component in the DTX section is just a seperated PCB for Audio components i think. M.2 is only available via the DIMM.2 module? That thing looks huge and I doubt it fits next to a Noctua C14 :-(

Reactions: thewizzard1

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
It is:

I think DTX is a good option, in the Ncase for example. The 2 fans in the Chipset, VRM Assembly could get annoying, but if the VRM is as powerful as claimed, they maybe don't spin that often. The Cipset shouldn't get super hot on ITX either, with its limited connectivity *hoping*

The component in the DTX section is just a seperated PCB for Audio components i think. M.2 is only available via the DIMM.2 module? That thing looks huge and I doubt it fits next to a Noctua C14 :-(
I think you're right - adding m.2 to the audio daughterboard would probably have made it too tall for most GPU coolers. I don't mind the DIMM.2 board, it likely wouldn't obstruct my water cooling anyhow, but I see your concern about big air coolers. Then again, the socket is clearly shifted towards the top of the board (no VRM there), so it might not be as bad as it looks.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Hey @KSliger , might want to make sure the SM line & the (rumored?) Dual 240 ITX Cerebus can fit this as well...?!?

EDIT - Nevermind on the SM-series, that DIMM.2 module looks way too tall... But a dual 240 ITX (DTX) Cerberus...?

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
technically there's an m.2 socket below the PCIe socket, so one could argue for...

Looks like it is all DAC from this angle...

Note the 'backplate' on the motherboard...!

Specs shot, 64GB RAM support...! I am guessing the DIMM.2 is where the two M.2 slots are...?

And it is listed as a Mini-DTX board...

Gentlemen, is this the SFF AM4 motherboard to rule them all...?!?

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
So, Asus instead of make overkill itx Impact board, create trash. Same mistaks as is in last itx boards (make m.2 slot with soundcard = noise in sound from m.2, back side m.2 is sata3).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
perhaps asus has created a use for this
I sincerely doubt that the pins and slot design of the DIMM.2 actually matches DDR4 SO-DIMMs, as that would be rather dumb. Also, that'd be a nice way to completely block your PCIe slot :) Pretty sure I saw someone asking for a 90-degree SO-DIMM adapter over in one of the AM4 STX or Thin-ITX threads, though - they'd probably be happy to see that thing!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I really hope the placement of the M.2 slot on that board (the one below the PCIe slot) was thoughtfully designed enough to accept an M.2 to PCIe adapter card tha lines an add in board with the rear I/O.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
I really hope the placement of the M.2 slot on that board (the one below the PCIe slot) was thoughtfully designed enough to accept an M.2 to PCIe adapter card tha lines an add in board with the rear I/O.
There is no m.2 below the GPU, only an audio daughterboard. Both m.2 slots are on the "SO-DIMM.2" riser AIC between the socket and the PCIe slot.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hope it's indeed something like a SODIMM slot with PCIe pins just straight into it, so one could potentially use a second card somehow. But there's no room for the PCIe slot so it would need to be a smaller PCB to begin with.