ASUS’s ROG X670e-i Sighted

With the impending appearance of AMD’s AM5 platform, news of SFF friendly boards has been very thin on the ground. Thankfully, at least one M-ITX board has now been sighted – ASUS’s X670e-i. Courtesy of forum users Karma and Neathdrawls, we have a couple of sources of information on this soon to be launched board.
As expected from ROG boards, the board is stacked high with expansion boards, which unfortunately will likely impact cooler compatibility. Aside from this, and the immediate confusion I had thinking it was an Intel board (this AMD LGA situation is going to mess with my head for a while, bare with me), this looks to be a solid continuation of the M-ITX boards ASUS puts out for each generation of modern CPU.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rfarmer

firassasin

Chassis Packer
Apr 25, 2022
I am excited to see more about the Loki PSUs as well, it had gone very quiet on that front. I am holding out on a new build until I can get a sfx psu with the new standards.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
PC Centric on Youtube was at GamesCom. and he has a hands-on video on the ASUS boards.

ITX board starts at around 5:47. The VRM and M.2 hamburger looks like it will impact air coolers, similar to the Z690-I.

Looks likes 2 fans on the board too? Might be wrong.

Edit:

Screencap from PC Centric's video showing the Rear I/O.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
With the impending appearance of AMD’s AM5 platform, news of SFF friendly boards has been very thin on the ground. Thankfully, at least one M-ITX board has now been sighted – ASUS’s X670e-i. Courtesy of forum users Karma and Neathdrawls, we have a couple of sources of information on this soon to be launched board.
As expected from ROG boards, the board is stacked high with expansion boards, which unfortunately will likely impact cooler compatibility. Aside from this, and the immediate confusion I had thinking it was an Intel board (this AMD LGA situation is going to mess with my head for a while, bare with me), this looks to be a solid continuation of the M-ITX boards ASUS puts out for each generation of modern CPU.

Continue reading...

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
meh .... no audio ports, despite the mezzanine boards stack ... I'll pass, this feels like such a downgrade. They provide a ginormicus USB audio paper weight with it .... price gonna break the already ridiculous price of their ROG ITX motherboards.

I'm using USB DAC and USB audio interface, so I don't care too much but not everyone is ready nor can waste desktop real estate for another box just for audio purpose. I guess that it also lack chassis front audio header too :|

I'm more interested in their mATX motherboards to be honest.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
''Aside from this, and the immediate confusion I had thinking it was an Intel board (this AMD LGA situation is going to mess with my head for a while, bare with me),...''

This messing with your head is real...I can believe that. While you were still typing the sentence, it messed with your spelling. It is ''bear with me'' rather than ''bare with me''.
I ain't no spelling bee but it is a rare opportunity for a non native English speaker to correct the spelling of a native speaker.😁

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 23, 2022
I dont like the solution with the external device-thing either. But other models and others vendors might have different solutions.
Still, it's good to see a miniITX motherboard with a X670e chipset. Even if the way of putting a second chip of the chipset on the mainboard is really weird.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
''Aside from this, and the immediate confusion I had thinking it was an Intel board (this AMD LGA situation is going to mess with my head for a while, bare with me),...''

This messing with your head is real...I can believe that. While you were still typing the sentence, it messed with your spelling. It is ''bear with me'' rather than ''bare with me''.
I ain't no spelling bee but it is a rare opportunity for a non native English speaker to correct the spelling of a native speaker.😁
That'll teach me for posting news whilst at my day job..

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
So...I'm expecting awful cooler compatibility to start with...Guess I'll be looking at the middling tier boards this generation. Also, just say no to MOSFET and chipset fans.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Also, just say no to MOSFET and chipset fans.
I can see why the chipset fan was necessary because the heatsink stack has to cool two m.2 drives which get super hot (one Gen5 and one Gen4) and two chipsets. You can probably get away without the fan if you run just one m.2 drive or if case fans provide decent airflow.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I can see why the chipset fan was necessary because the heatsink stack has to cool two m.2 drives which get super hot (one Gen5 and one Gen4) and two chipsets. You can probably get away without the fan if you run just one m.2 drive or if case fans provide decent airflow.
Asus boards haven't had 2x frontside m.2 in ITX, one is on the back. The above picture only shoes the one m.2 connector, that I can tell--and the board is slanted on the table as you'd expect with a backside M.2 interface. Even then, Gen3/4 m.2 drives do not get that hot even when hammered with I/O, a cheap piece of aluminum with a heatpad is enough to moderate the temps...maybe gen5 will be different, but we'll see.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Asus boards haven't had 2x frontside m.2 in ITX, one is on the back
My Asus Z490-I has two front side m.2 .... so does the Z590-I and Z690-I. You can clearly see the two m.2 connectors on this AMD one...

Fa25i1eWAAAfR8q.jpg

and the board is slanted on the table as you'd expect with a backside M.2 interface.
It's slanted because of the captive IO shield 😉