Enclosure Is it required to have some kind of rubber-like coating on HDD-trays?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I am making my own custom case, and thus I have also made my own HDD/SSD holders/trays. I was just going to attach the hard drives to the trays (which are made from Aluminium). But on most commercial trays, there is a thin layer of either plastic or rubber. Is that required or is it just there to make it look nicer?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If I recall correctly, those rubber strips are there to dampen vibration (noise) of the spinning platter.

Most likely become less important if you use non-mechanical drive aka SSD.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
If I recall correctly, those rubber strips are there to dampen vibration (noise) of the spinning platter.

Most likely become less important if you use non-mechanical drive aka SSD.

No, I dont mean those rubberpads. On the inside of trays, there is like this (what I presume is) non-conductive film/layer of either plastic or rubber-like material.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Whops sorry. Perhaps a pic would help.
I dont have a commercial tray on hand atm. But I guess the main question is: is there a need for coating the inner side of the tray with some non-conducting material? If so, I guess I put some thin paper or so.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
E.g. here on this pic from Interwebz, you can see how the tray is made from pretty much untreated metal, but the area where the drives go is covered with plastic (black colored stuff). If I dont add something similar to my trays, do I risk short-circuiting my drive?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
No, you will not short your drive. This is what I would assume a cost saving measure. It's almost impossible to short an ssd or hardrive

Okay, thanks!

But how is it a cost saving feature to add some coating/layer if you could just be without it?

Honegod

Cable Smoosher
Dec 7, 2017
The underside of my Seagate 2.5"
Harddrive has many copper dots exposed, so I intend the mounts I am fabricating to allow nothing anywhere near the bottom side.

+ having free space allows cooling air flow to get to that side.

(HDDs need air, SSDs not so much)