PowerMac G5 - NAS case

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ever since I've saw an opened PowerMac G5 and Mac Pro tower case, I was amazed how a seemingly consumer-oriented brand was able to manufacture a brilliantly designed and finished workstation PC that was also very easy and intuitive to work with. From the latch that unlocks the sidepanel to the perfectly hidden power cables, this felt like a case only a skilled enthusiast could dream up. So I decided to do a casemod with one, even though I had no idea what I was going to do with it yet. When the Ncase M1 suddenly became a real thing, I decided to just stop collecting external disks and make one proper NAS.

This is the case I found. Someone wanted to do a casemod but never got around to it. I took over that burden without hesitating.

This is the original PSU box where the original PSU would have been found. The PSU you see is a 600W Enermax 80+ something unit that I wasn't using. It was a modular PSU and I wanted to integrate the connectors like so:

This is the box how it sits on the floor of the PowerMac case, hidden from sight. But when I decided I wanted to build a NAS, I would only be needing three cables: ATX 24-pin, EPS 4/8-pin and a few SATA connectors, so I decided not to waste time on including modular connectors and just solder the SATA straight to the PCB:

The other cables (Molex and PCIe) were clipped, a Mini-Fit Jr connector was fitted between the AC connector and the PSU.

This is the result, a clean start to begin with. At the right you can see the next adjustment I did, replacing the standard fans with Noctuas. Back then, the Redux silver-colored fans weren't available yet, or I would have gotten those to match the rest of the case.

2x Noctua NF-B9 fans and 1x Noctua NF-R8 fan. I was able to reuse the rubber mounts on the 92mm fan bracket, but I destroyed two on the 80mm bracket. But it had anti-vibration mounting from the start. Did I mention these cases came out in 2003 ?

With big NAS comes big responsi... euhm many SATA connectors. And since the original PowerMac G5 only allowed up to four 3,5" HDD's and I wanted to fit as many as I could, I started contemplating on creating my own HDD toolless shelves. These are Corsair SATA 6Gbps Upgrade Kits for the 800D case, which only had 3Gbps on release. It uses a single SATA power connector, so ideal for my PSU with two SATA connectors.

Since Apple used a custom-made motherboard specifically tailored for the case, I needed a way to mount a standard mATX board.
MiniHack (company: LaserHive) from the www.insanelymac.com forum hooked me up with one of his plexiglass motherboard trays. To fit it properly, some sockets needed to be cut from the case, so you're seeying one side of the case which is one solid, bent piece of thick aluminium that had about 50 rivets to secure it to the inner box that houses all the hardware. Amazingly sturdy with all those rivets in-place, like it's welded.

This was one of the first steps for creating the HDD rack. The aluminium beam is a curtain rail and the black rings are rubber faucet rings. Yes I'm one of those DIY store plunderer guys ! LEGO for men ! But what it was able to do was give support to the drives while being decoupled enough to not cause resonance. Or such was the idea.

Another idea was to use the case's HDD retention trays to make it nicely finished. But after doing measurements, I couldn't find a way of fitting it with the HDD brackets, by about 10mm. So I decided to not use them.

Not only were the Apple HDD brackets out of the question, after careful measuring, I also could only fit 7 HDD's, so I had to cut one of the SATA backplane PCB's short. I measured it so that the distance between the SATA ports was equal. Since I'm experienced in Photoshop, I made this to help me visualize what I was trying to make:

So this was the plan, 7 HDD slots with the aluminium rails and rubber grommets as a support mechanism, with the SATA ports alligned so they would push right in.

After having a productive, sunny day I was able to drill all the components tofor the HDD rack.

Partially assembled. Here you can see my handywork and compulsive measuring paid off with everything according to plan.

The back of the rack. You can see the ports and the holes I need to fasten it to the case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

The first fitment test, showing an issue. While the plexiglass motherboard tray was made to allow a PowerMac G5 case to be fitted with an mATX board while cutting the back, I wanted to keep the original ports and back layout, so I needed to change this. I was also not happy with the massive space between the HDD rack and the board, so I talked to MiniHack and he made me a specific motherboard tray to allow this:

This also allowed me to use the rear dual 92mm fan bracket and it allowed cables to be hidden behind the HDD tray and the motherboard.

The HDD rack, with the rails and reinforcements rivited. How does it look inside the case ?

Awesome. If I ever was proud of my own work, it was at this moment.

The first HDD in it's place !

MiniHack was a huge help in completing my project, here is the rear clipped part of the original PowerMac motherboard that has all the ports.

Oh yeah, nice and original ! This board was without an RJ11 socket, but I wasn't going to use that anyway. Also notice the IEC power socket on the bottom leftn, this is where the PSU is going to get it's AC from.

New hardware for the NAS ! It's still running after 2 years with this setup !
  • Asrock B75 Pro3-M
  • 4x Western Digital WD20EZRX (2TB each)
  • Intel Pentium G2020
  • 2x 4GB DDR3 VLP memory
  • Arctic MX-4
  • Scythe kit to mount the Mugen 2 Rev. A on Socket 115x
  • Startech USB header to 2x USB

The hardware installed. Two HDDs are still missing, they were being used at the time.

Using NAS4Free to allow RAID-Z2 (RAID 6) using the ZFS filesystem.

Time to finish this project. So let's start with a mint original AC cable.

Even something as mundaine as an AC cable is something Apple can put a large attention to detail in.

Now that looks nice !

An aluminium heatsink cover originally found in this type of PowerMac. With adhesive magnetic tape I was able to stick it to the CPU heatsink.

Here I installed a male-female HDMI extension cable. To achieve this:

Don't mind the network card and cable sticking out, focus on the HDMI connector on a custom PCI bracket.

Remember that motherboard clip ? Here I soldered one end of a CAT5E cable to the back of the RJ45 socket. The hotglue blob is to prevent shorts and wires coming loose.

This is a USB header soldered to the two ports below it.

This is how it looks inside, you can barely see the blue PCB on the right just behind the fan bracket.

This is the current state, with the 4 matching PCI brackets and the second RJ45 connector.

Last edited:

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
I like your work on the drive tray rails and re-use of original motherboard to avoid empty I/O panel :)

Obviously, out of principle, I have to mention that it's quite a big case for 6 drives ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks !
Obviously, out of principle, I have to mention that it's quite a big case for 6 drives ;)
Oh yes it is but for this device I don't really care since I can put this thing anywhere that has a network socket (or two). This is indeed not SFF in any way, but for me the craftsmanship and design of this 12-year old case is beyond anything I've ever seen. 3mm thick aluminium all-around and everything crafted and designed with so much care. The entire construction of the sidepanel lock alone is intrigueing.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wow, what a mod! It may not be a particularly compact unit but a NAS is an important part of SFF because it allows you to offload those bulky, hard to mount mechanical drives out of the case.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Excellent work! I thought of making a similar HDD cage out of bare minimum number of aluminum beams and the same orientation & location for my TJ08-E since it's stock HDD cage orientation sucks in terms of cable routing and CPU cooler clearance and rotating it 90 degrees wouldn't be as ideal in terms of airflow through the HDD cage... but I've never managed to push myself enough to actually do it. :(

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
as much as I dislike apple and the culture, I have always liked their hardware. You've taken that to the next step, looks great!

Reactions: Soul_Est

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
I'm a sucka for any 'ol Mac mod :) Love seeing what folks come up with using these sweet towers. Good stuff man.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks ! I've always wanted to do a project with the G4 Cube but that case is so rare, it's not going to happen I guess. But after they launched the new Mac Pro in 2013, I've got some new ideas :D

Reactions: LooseNeutral

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
Phuncz, have you experienced any trouble with the 800D SATA3 backplane sporadically losing HDD recoginition? I've read some owners of 800D talking about the lack of caps on it being the culprit for such troubles experienced by them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nope, no issues with mine. I have NAS4Free setup to email me as soon as something is up and next to a failing HDD with bad sectors a year ago, I haven't had any failures since.

But my 12V rail is nearly unused in my system, maybe that's a reason.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very cool mod. I was cringing when I saw you cut the HDD backplane PCB, but I guess you checked the traces to make sure it wouldn't make a difference. I also love the reuse of the original I/O, soldering that must've been a lot of pain. In general, you've done a great job with keeping this as stock-looking as possible.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks ! It was my mission to keep it looking as stock as possible, on the outside atleast. I indeed checked the PCB for issues before and after the chop. The traces run straight (vertically) so not much to worry and I checked no shorts were caused by sawing. Since I'm a noob at soldering and the USB required wires to be soldered at two joints, I let my dad do those for me. The LAN connector I did myself though, but it is indeed challenging with the narrow paths and leads. But an experienced solderer will probably have a laugh at that :)

Reactions: Mtthwmths