Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Ah yes, I totally forgot about that. Makes the system even better!

Yeah I've been thinking about something that as well, I'll look into it. What I think would also work is a laser-etched serial number in the side of the button that you can check in an online database or something. Though I also believe that if everyone has access to the design files, the incentive to also fake my brand is lower.

It can also be a curse at times. I've spent hours upon modelling ideas that weren't good enough in the end and it can feel like you're not getting anywhere. Yeah I think I've learned that much :D

Yes, it seems like that is correct. I've looked into the concept of "prior art" a little bit, and it seems like that's what you're describing. Also, I've read a bit on the topic of Open Source Hardware from the OSHWA and damn, that is so in line with my principles it's unnerving.

Not trademarking the name of the product is a very good point as well. If I only trademark my companies brand and leave the name of the product untouched, people can release version of the button themselves and use their brand on it, which makes similar products much easier to find and to differentiate. Stuff like that is already very much happening with custom keyboards. You can get a genuine GH60 PCB or a Satan GH60, stuff like that. I think this is a good way to do business and has a positive effect on everybody.
Do you have any quotes? Ballpark range?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Do you have any quotes? Ballpark range?

So far I only know what all the separate electrical components would cost, other than that I'm pretty blank. At this point I would say ballpark around 30€. For now I'll be calculating with low volume (heh) production, so aiming at about 300 pieces. I believe I could get many more sold, but it's better to make it work it for lower volumes because that's harder.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good progress, I love the design on the chassis. Very clever. I'm amazed at your point of view on the whole legal debacle.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Yes, absolutely! This has been my most liked project by a huge margin and I'm fairly certain that a lot of people would want to get one even after my first run. Selling these is a no-brainer pretty much.

Concur, this offers a very easy, interesting, snazzy, and unique modding option.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yep, I'd also like to see something like a 3-pack :D

ONE? Pfft, I'm going to buy a handful and then use these buttons for everything!

I already thought about making two different boxes. One for a single button, and one that can take up to 5 (or more) buttons for "bulk" orders. Not sure what a good bulk-discount option would be, I'll have to figure that out once I know exact pricing. Maybe something like "buy four, get one free"?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Caps are built in ;) What makes this idea particularly bad is that the button has about 150gf actuation force, which is about three times what normal keyboards have. Good job @EdZ :D

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What makes this idea particularly bad is that the button has about 150gf actuation force, which is about three times what normal keyboards have.

It's a feature: "Build up hand strength as you type!"

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Caps are built in ;) What makes this idea particularly bad is that the button has about 150gf actuation force, which is about three times what normal keyboards have. Good job @EdZ :D
Crippling actuation force, key spacing that requires hands the size of car tyres to reach comfortably, keycaps with no angle, no character labels, and the whole thing sits a good 10cm off your desk to make room for the backs of the buttons. But an unprecedented 12 RGB LEDs per key, and therefore 12x better for gaming! It's the keyboard everybody wants to have, but nobody wants to use!