Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Huh? I think you need to elaborate, I don't understand what you're getting at.

Sorry I was so vague... please see below:

They do seem rare as hen's teeth, but they're coming from somewhere for use in the Fire TV stick, OG Chromecast, Intel Compute stick, etc. Alibaba has a handful of Micro HDMI - Micro HDMI cables listed, so that might be an option to cut down on component count by using a micro-HDMI socket on either end.

As Hamburger Eating Ironman mentioned above... the Micro HDMI - Micro HDMI may be your only choice and could be secured via hot glue to the board and then connected via a socket and/or wiring to the board.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/6843480/HDMI_D_TYPE_Micro_HDMI_Connector.html

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It was mainly me dreaming of having a connection to my phone. Remotely turning it off and on, seeing it's power status from the other room, LAN party theft alarm, etc. If it's not obvious, I tend to digress...

Oh dear god. I mean, that's a pretty cool idea, and maybe something that could be integrated into a separate product in the future, but right now that would mean I'd have to model a meander antenna inside the button (which I don't know how to do properly), put all the bluetooth components inside (which there is not enough space for) and write a mobile app in addition to the firmware and software I need now. Sorry, not gonna happen any time soon.

They do seem rare as hen's teeth, but they're coming from somewhere for use in the Fire TV stick, OG Chromecast, Intel Compute stick, etc. Alibaba has a handful of Micro HDMI - Micro HDMI cables listed, so that might be an option to cut down on component count by using a micro-HDMI socket on either end.

You know, seeing the rarity of all these components, it seems to me like a custom cable isn't such a bad idea after all. There are manufacturers for this kind of stuff, and they'd only have to cut a micro HDMI to HDMI cable up and add a three 0.1" pin headers to it. That's actually something I could do myself for low quantities and material cost would be quite low.

As Hamburger Eating Ironman mentioned above... the Micro HDMI - Micro HDMI may be your only choice and could be secured via hot glue to the board and then connected via a socket and/or wiring to the board.

Ah I see. The problem with that is that these connectors are super small and need to be hand-soldered, so the manual labor cost would be very high. To be suitable for low- and high-volume manufacturing alike, I need to make sure most of the assembly can be done automatically.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It was mainly me dreaming of having a connection to my phone. Remotely turning it off and on, seeing it's power status from the other room, LAN party theft alarm, etc. If it's not obvious, I tend to digress...
Oh dear god. I mean, that's a pretty cool idea, and maybe something that could be integrated into a separate product in the future, but right now that would mean I'd have to model a meander antenna inside the button (which I don't know how to do properly), put all the bluetooth components inside (which there is not enough space for) and write a mobile app in addition to the firmware and software I need now. Sorry, not gonna happen any time soon.

After thinking about how something like this could look, I remembered that I already saw it somewhere.

Maybe this is for you?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Finally.

It's just one PCB of three, but it's the most complicated one, the other two should be possible as double-sided instead of this four layered mess. Still missing ground fill, but I consider it done for now. I might be able to fit 0603 resistors instead of 0402, but resistors are dead cheap nowadays ($7.51 for 5000 pcs), so I don't think it's worth the upgrade. My manufacturer/assembler said they could even handle 0201, but that the pick and place would lose up to 1/3rd of that, which seemed a bit wasteful to me.

You might notice that the board-to-board connector has 20 pins but I only use 9 of them. That's because it isn't available any smaller. An interesting side-effect is that even if I plug in the board below the wrong way around, no ill connections would be made, so testing is a bit less dangerous.

Reactions: PNP and Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
You should work with manufactures to sync your switch to their software like the following.

I would love to do that, and it's certainly a long-term goal, but the problem is that these big manufacturers all use very proprietary control software that is an absolute resource hog on your system, which is something I don't support at all.

Either I'd have to make an exclusive deal with one of these manufacturers to integrate my switch into their software, which would be a bummer for everyone who didn't use equipment from them, or I'd have to make a piece of software myself that is able to talk to and coordinate between all of their drivers, which would take months for me to write and test properly.

Ideally, I'd want an open standard for LED control on every device of any kind, but the manufacturers have no reason to adopt something like that, because then they can't lock people into their own ecosystem any more.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Second PCB complete

Second PCB with microcontroller and oscillator circuit is complete. There's enough space for three more 0603 components in case I forgot something and I managed to get everything routed on just two layers. It's about as small as it could get, 12mm x 9.96mm. And with it being rectangular, I could route everything at 45° angles which makes it look rather neat and made the process much easier.

The bottom connector isn't routed as I didn't finalise the pinout for the HDMI socket yet. That's the next step.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
How about Vandalorum Rex for a product name?

Freilite Vandalorum Rex is a little unwieldy, don't you think? Apart from it not being a real latin word :D

Unwieldy, maybe, but Warhammer 40K has been getting away with faux Latin for decades. If only the abbreviation wasn't VR... Maybe mash the words together? Vandalrex. Hmm. Sounds like a prescription drug.

Naming is hard. Glad I'm not in technical marketing.

Reactions: jtd871