Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ah yes, now I understand. So it allows people to fiddle with settings on their own if they're knowledgeable or use the provided web-interface to fabricate a settings file for them. An interesting way to solve it while allowing all OS platforms to use it as long as USB storage access and copy to the USB device is supported, which is basically every relevant desktop OS and even most tablet OSes through a general app.

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Just a short update: I just sent out requests for quotes to manufacture the LED ring PCB assembly to test how bright the button is going to be. The panels are designed to hold 20 pieces each, so I'm still thinking about to doing some kind of hardware beta-test with people who are willing and able to participate. :) Maybe I could do something like a raffle that keycap artisans like to do.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your continued support, hope you all have a great day! (or night depending on your timezone)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Drop me a message if you need help, I'm a front end developer and wouldn't mind helping you out.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind! I will probably need some help, I've already thought about outsourcing it completely to make sure its usable, but that comes at a price, of course.

sign me up! :)

Your project would indeed make for a good testing bed. I don't have a list yet, though :D You know what? I'll make a google form this evening (in about 10 hours) where people can sign up, so everyone get's a fair chance :) There will be 15 available maximum.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to charge people for these super early versions? I don't like the idea of payed beta on video games, but each unit in a small batch costs a lot of money to make, I don't really think I can afford it. It also seems like a better idea to let people keep them and pay for them instead of sending them back to me, unless they really have fatal flaws.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You could call it a "Bleeding Edge Edition" - that should give it enough cachet to justify asking the beta testers to help pay for it. I'd be interested myself, but I think the A4 only has a 15mm hole for the power button and I'm not sure there is enough room with a full-length GPU for your button to fit.

I plan to build this weekend, so I'll try to check as best I can to see the actual dimension and clearance.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'd love to do my best to help test!
I understand small batches costing more and wouldn't personally mind giving you some money to help dispel the cost.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I went ahead and answered 60EUR as the price, but if you do end up deciding I'd be a good tester for you There's no reason that more couldn't happen.

Here's to choosing some good guinea pigs and getting some good data!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I went ahead and answered 60EUR as the price

The idea of that was to make sure that people didn't read over the price, I'll clarify that. I just wanted it as a piece of confirmation :) It actually baffles me that so many of you seem to be OK with such a large sum of money for what is essentially just a power button with fancy lightning, I was worried that 60 might be too much.

Thank you so much for your support, it truly means the world to me!