Stalled Iris 16 - RGB Vandal Button

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
then create Iris XXL, too. could occopy the whole top of a cylinder shaped chassis :)
after that, your own USB-connected disk shape external device. a whole family of Iris devices.

Reactions: cmyk78
Mar 6, 2017
Oh god if you had three rings you could have legitimately put a clock on there with dedicated second, minute and hour hands. That could only happen in a larger package, though. This one is already completely filled with everything it could be.

EDIT: A larger version could also incorporate an IR transmitter for the PC. A very large version could have a USB hub internally that you can put ultra-small receivers into like the logitech anwhere one. That way you get perfect reception for wireless peripherals without requiring you to have the receiver plugged into one of the front ports. That button would have to be something like 40mm in diameter at least, though.

Welp, time to figure out where I can put a 40mm hole in my case

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
'Professional' could be saved for an IP-rated version with a Hall-effect button and fully conformal-coated board.

Oh, very good point, but I'd call that one "Industrial". I don't think there's much demand in the industrial sector for a flashy feature like this, though. But hey, if some big company sees it and want's to buy a few hundred, I'll probably make that.

then create Iris XXL, too. could occopy the whole top of a cylinder shaped chassis :)
after that, your own USB-connected disk shape external device. a whole family of Iris devices.

I like your thinking :D Really, there are very few limitations to how far you can push this. In the most extreme case you make it 100mm in diameter, but a circular touchscreen in the middle and a rotating ring around the outside, but android on it and integrate the capabilities of an aquero into it. Would cost a few hundred bucks at that point, but I'm sure someone would buy it :D

Welp, time to figure out where I can put a 40mm hole in my case

No worries, you probably got a few months to do so ;)

Anyways, here's an idea:

After getting some feedback from people on LTT, it occurred to me that a really cool feature for ordering would be if you could select the effects and colour for your button on the storefront so when you installed it, it would already have the effect you want. An additional idea would be to make the "simple" software that only allows modifying basic behaviour of the button a web-based tool so you wouldn't have to install anything. One way to implement this would be to let the button act as a USB-stick. Then, you configure your button on the web-tool and download a hex-file and select the button as the download location. Sounds pretty awesome if you ask me :D

Mar 6, 2017
Anyways, here's an idea:

After getting some feedback from people on LTT, it occurred to me that a really cool feature for ordering would be if you could select the effects and colour for your button on the storefront so when you installed it, it would already have the effect you want. An additional idea would be to make the "simple" software that only allows modifying basic behaviour of the button a web-based tool so you wouldn't have to install anything. One way to implement this would be to let the button act as a USB-stick. Then, you configure your button on the web-tool and download a hex-file and select the button as the download location. Sounds pretty awesome if you ask me :D

Oh wow, that's a great idea!

Reactions: ricochet

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I would probably program the button LEDs for some sort of audio visualizer. Change the intensity of each LED assigned by frequency band, or assign two channels of volume with green-red-yellow like a digital VU meter.

Instead of Pro, maybe it could be called EE for Enthusiast Edition or CE for Community Edition. We already have 70% of all the products in the world called "Pro", even toothbrushes and toothpaste.

Not to mention Intel already has a IGP called Iris Pro! :X

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016

a tiny bluetooth receiver inside? so you could program it from a smartphone, too (or via the IR as you planned to have it).
or it might be too geek but the button could be programmed via morse codes, so no external connection needed but a big manual :)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'd totally turn a 3-ring version into an RGB watch, if it was made compact enough

-Edit-

Might be worth its own thread, but giving it Bluetooth functionality so it could do a different color when you got a notification would be awesome.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
a tiny bluetooth receiver inside? so you could program it from a smartphone, too (or via the IR as you planned to have it).
or it might be too geek but the button could be programmed via morse codes, so no external connection needed but a big manual :)

The idea for built-in bluetooth or IR was to allow good reception on bluetooth devices or TV remotes (in an HTPC scenario) without having to drill additional holes into the front of the case, but what you have in mind is a pretty cool idea as well. Either won't happen anyway with Iris 16 as it is too small to fit any of the required hardware. The thing for later revisions and larger versions is, it would require me to write an app for multiple smartphone OS' and update that every single time apple decides to introduce breaking changes again. Not really a fan of that idea.

I'd totally turn a 3-ring version into an RGB watch, if it was made compact enough

A button needs to be deep so you can still mount it on thick case fronts (S4 mini has a total of about 6mm, for example), so I don't think that would be feasible in any way.

Might be worth its own thread, but giving it Bluetooth functionality so it could do a different color when you got a notification would be awesome.

I hear you, but there's a perfectly fine control interface in the form of USB already, this button is too small for integrating bluetooth anyway and as I said above, maintaining smartphone apps is out of scope on this project, at least for now. Or is there a standard protocol for simple "external notification display" devices with Bluetooth? But this is a very cool kind of functionality to think about.

We do have stuff like Cortana on Android that already allows push-notifications to be sent from the phone to the desktop, and MacOS works very closely together with iOS devices, so maybe one could hook in there as well. Another thing to think about are browser notifications. It might be possible to hook into those as well. And then there's regular desktop notifications as well. That's the sort of thing I hope others will try to make when I provide an easy way to control the button, because there are way too many different scenarios for me to cover myself.

:), the title was changed.

Indeed it was, the people have spoken :)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The idea for built-in bluetooth or IR was to allow good reception on bluetooth devices or TV remotes (in an HTPC scenario) without having to drill additional holes into the front of the case, but what you have in mind is a pretty cool idea as well. Either won't happen anyway with Iris 16 as it is too small to fit any of the required hardware. The thing for later revisions and larger versions is, it would require me to write an app for multiple smartphone OS' and update that every single time apple decides to introduce breaking changes again. Not really a fan of that idea.

I hear you, but there's a perfectly fine control interface in the form of USB already, this button is too small for integrating bluetooth anyway and as I said above, maintaining smartphone apps is out of scope on this project, at least for now. Or is there a standard protocol for simple "external notification display" devices with Bluetooth? But this is a very cool kind of functionality to think about.

We do have stuff like Cortana on Android that already allows push-notifications to be sent from the phone to the desktop, and MacOS works very closely together with iOS devices, so maybe one could hook in there as well. Another thing to think about are browser notifications. It might be possible to hook into those as well. And then there's regular desktop notifications as well. That's the sort of thing I hope others will try to make when I provide an easy way to control the button, because there are way too many different scenarios for me to cover myself.

I'm admittedly not a S/W developer, but wouldn't you be able to use a dev environment that cross-compiles into Windows, iOS, and Android? I believe Visual Studio now does this. You probably need to go through validation of the target platforms, but the bulk of the work is then streamlined (in theory).

Another application with wireless is the ability to integrate it into smart home ecosystems, where someone could configure the button to turn the computer on a some point; for instance, when you arrive home.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ah, yes, I understand what you mean. I was talking purely in the context of it being a watch when I mentioned the Bluetooth stuff, but I definitely understand also that making one from a button whose depth was from it's intended function is not the wisest decision.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm admittedly not a S/W developer, but wouldn't you be able to use a dev environment that cross-compiles into Windows, iOS, and Android? I believe Visual Studio now does this. You probably need to go through validation of the target platforms, but the bulk of the work is then streamlined (in theory).

That might be possible, I've only ever developed Windows apps with VS. Still, if API gets deprecated and eventually removed on some OS, it can take a lot of work to bring the app back to a working state, but maybe I'm overthinking this. I'll look into it in due time.

Another application with wireless is the ability to integrate it into smart home ecosystems, where someone could configure the button to turn the computer on a some point; for instance, when you arrive home.

There are also other solutions to this, but you're correct, that would be a possible application. So many things to do with just a single power button :)

Reactions: cmyk78

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Anyways, here's an idea:

Interesting idea. How would you implement it in a web-based tool ? Wouldn't it require a browser plugin for a website to communicate with hardware directly ?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wouldn't it require a browser plugin for a website to communicate with hardware directly ?
Yes, which would be the reason for outputting a flat-file (e.g. text document, .xml, etc) with the configuration details that just gets drag&dropped into the button representing itself as a USB stick, which then auto-loads the configuration from that folder.
The "one for all" line of programmable media centre remote controls uses a similar mechanism: program on their web interface, download the config file, then copy it onto the remote acting as a USB stick, which then programs itself.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
@EdZ is correct :) I looked a little bit into making the Atmega32u4 a composite device and it doesn't seem to be too hard, so I'm working on that now to see whether this idea would work.

The web-tool would then be written in Javascript or (preferably) HTML5, but I'm not up to date on the capabilities of the latter.