Introduction and Ready For A New Build SLIM PC w/ DVD Drive - Need guidance.

Hi Everyone! So happy I stumbled upon this community.

I've been building personal PCs for years on an as-needed basis for myself and family. My mother now is asking for a new home office PC, and base on her diskspace I think i'd like to go with a Slim SFF build. Reason for the slim is that she is kinda old school and it would be good to have a DVD drive built in.

So, if this was a typical build of mine, i'd probably go with a AMD ryzen with integrated graphics. I'd get a board with Bluetooth and wifi built in, with two monitor support. I'd go with 16 gig ram to make it future proof, and a SSD (preferable an M.2) drive of 500 gigs.

However, I have never ventured into the work so SFF and, rathe than buy one prebuilt, i'd like to give it a go. I was also considering a NUC but I want something a bit more powerful, futureproof, and can support the 2 monitors and dvd drive.

SO, the question is:

1) Case recomandations? It doenst have to look fancy, just clean and functional. It will sit behind or next to the monitor most likely.
2) Any other considerations I need to keep in mind for a SFF build that is a variation from a ATX build? IE: Power supply size, Processor voltage, heatsink size, etc?

A word about the heatsink, I recently built a new PC for myself with the standard wraith (?) AMD heatsink. I usually amhappy with these but this one is running too fast and too loud. So, i'm think for the first time in a long time i'm going to have to go aftermarket. I suspect I will need the same to keep this new SFF PC quiet. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

MrZee

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 18, 2020
Forgot to add, i'm looking to stick in the $600 USD range. I am willing to sacrifice power to hit this number since the machine will only be sued for WEB, Email, Video Conferencing, and the like. Nothing more.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
However, I have never ventured into the work so SFF and, rathe than buy one prebuilt, i'd like to give it a go. I was also considering a NUC but I want something a bit more powerful, futureproof, and can support the 2 monitors and dvd drive.
Check out the ASRock Deskmini A300 as well if you were considering a NUC but want to use an AMD APU. The NUCs are a good option as well. You really can't go any smaller building yourself. Both the NUCs and the A300 are able to drive multiple monitors.

Even doing a custom build, you'll have trouble finding SFF cases that support optical drives. There are some that support slim optical drives, but that's not common at all. I'd recommend an external USB DVD/Blu-ray drive, as it will be very hard to find a case with optical drive support and it really isn't worth limiting your options so much.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
I would look at the inwin bq series. APU only, come with a 150 w PSU, has a slot for DVD drive in the bottom along with a 2.5" HDD. You'll probably want the noctua L9a or i depending on Intel or AMD.