Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I can't believe I only just now found this case.
I would like to purchase it, please. Or I'll try to print my own case.
I would hope that there would be more usb ports on the front panel. 4 regular usb 3.0 ports would be awesome. 1 or 2 type c ports is fine.
Will there be filter for the front?
Will it ship with all the different pieces? Or will it be a-la-carte like the cerberus? I think it'd be better to ship it with all the different pieces, so that it would be "the last case you'd need", and won't need to order little bits-and-bobs if you decide to change config. Although, under 200USD is a nice price, especially for us Canadians. The Cerberus (X) cases were way too expensive.

It won't be a nice price for us Canadians because we always get bent over on the duties and shipping.

Reactions: Fullereneshift

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
It won't be a nice price for us Canadians because we always get bent over on the duties and shipping.

You're not alone. Same happens to us Norwegians. The taxes are high, duties are unreasonable. The only reason I'd get this case is because of how much it can do for being so small and tiny. But I believe people who read about these type of cases, specific cases, or cases that they'd know would cost them a bit more than getting it from their local market, they'd most likely get it anyway. But that is my opinion. I might be wrong.

I digress. One might argue that this case isn't "small and tiny", and it is all subjective. When I say "small and tiny", I mean small and tiny enough to have the components I find to be cool and nice to have in a compact system, proper water cooling etc. And yes "proper water cooling" is probably a subjective topic too. I'm sorry to bring this all into a loop of subjectiveness.

I just hope they'll really make this case. Cuz it sounds awesome. But at the end, it is all about walking the talk. I was at once super ecstatic about the announcement of Cerberus X2, but now I feel I should wait till I know the production has started. Don't take me wrong, I'm not mad that this case isn't out yet. I know such things can take time. But I find the idea of this case to be awesome, and I'm highly anticipating it.

On another note, I haven't heard from @PlayfulPhoenix at all, he seems to be inactive. I hope he is okay. Peoples health comes before anything else, any other project, any hardware or any case. Knowing how weird 2020 is, I hope playful and his family, friends and other loved ones are doing alright. And perhaps they can finish the Cerberus X2 project when everything is stable. When things are more stable, it is easier and more fun to work on projects. I support the idea of such announcements to be hobby projects and eventually becomings someones economic livelihood, if deemed possible, or just a hobby to get some tiny pocket-source-income. I have the understanding that this might take time for fulfilment, and I'm sure many others do too.

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
oh hello

Reactions: Timothy

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
This cap is only like a 2 second part of the video where I think he only shows this config once. Kind of annoying to me, since this is obviously the BEST config.

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
If I had any suggestions it would be to increase the size of the front fan intake holes.
I'm still an old guy stuck in the past of good Lian Li cases. The 9F for example. Cooled real well. maybe as it sits, it cools fine, IDK. I trust them though. ?

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I believe the prototype of the case was made by Lian Li since it has the same handle as the TU150. There is always the possibility the Chimera CX2 could end up with the same mesh pattern as you are talking about ?

Personally, I think that a round hole mesh pattern might fit the design of the case better.

Reactions: THUMPer

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
If I had any suggestions it would be to increase the size of the front fan intake holes.
I'm still an old guy stuck in the past of good Lian Li cases. The 9F for example. Cooled real well. maybe as it sits, it cools fine, IDK. I trust them though. ?

The case in the video, and the recently posted image is a prototype. Last word was that the front panel would be mesh, similar to the side panels on the FormD T1, not drilled aluminum sheet.

Reactions: Timothy

Xerpocalypse

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2020
Really excited for future updates for this case, I'm glad I ended up not buying another PC case this year. I'll wait for this one instead.

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
Whatever happened with this. Was quite a bit of excitement bacj in Jan that sort of didn't seem like it went anywhere. Which is a shame cos it's a great design.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
covid-induced chain reaction of slowdowns (is the short answer) ,_,

long answer i'll defer to them. as a side observation, lian li is finally getting on to volume with one of their newer cases, so hopefully they'll regain time with customer contract cases (at least i'm guessing and hoping)

Reactions: integer

Timothy

Caliper Novice
Aug 18, 2020
I will finish the product, I just don’t have a production plan atm b/c mass production not possible.

Whatever happened with this. Was quite a bit of excitement back in Jan that sort of didn't seem like it went anywhere. Which is a shame cos it's a great design.

From what Wahaha360 said the case will still be produced some time in the future, but there was not a production plan as of August 23rd due to Covid.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
From what Wahaha360 said the case will still be produced some time in the future, but there was not a production plan as of August 23rd due to Covid.

Changes will be needed before production.

Covid-19 makes everything more difficult. My current help is overwhelmed atm between end of year (peak season), and my other projects, so don't have the resources to execute atm.

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for the updates gents. That's fair enough. I was forgetting about covid reeking havoc on supply chains. Good luck with getting this to production

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Gotta say this is looking great for a compact Threadripper build. I planned on using the original Cerberus X with a Dynatron A31 1U blower cooler but that didnt work out. The cooler was hilariously loud no matter how low I set the PPT. I could hear it above the window sill air conditioner next to me.

The 70mm of clearance of the CX2 does however open it up to using a dynatron A26 or similer 2U height cooler which I hope to test in the next week or two when it arrives. Along with the release of the Gigabyte 3090 Turbo 2 slot blower card, along with some power limiting and undervolting we have the makings of a real super machine.

Loud AF compared to a normal computer, but its a sacrifice i'm willing to make to eventually build out a machine woth 24-64 cores and eventually 4 GPU with 40,000 CUDA cores or more with no water anywhere near it.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Gotta say this is looking great for a compact Threadripper build. I planned on using the original Cerberus X with a Dynatron A31 1U blower cooler but that didnt work out. The cooler was hilariously loud no matter how low I set the PPT. I could hear it above the window sill air conditioner next to me.

The 70mm of clearance of the CX2 does however open it up to using a dynatron A26 or similer 2U height cooler which I hope to test in the next week or two when it arrives. Along with the release of the Gigabyte 3090 Turbo 2 slot blower card, along with some power limiting and undervolting we have the makings of a real super machine.

Loud AF compared to a normal computer, but its a sacrifice i'm willing to make to eventually build out a machine woth 24-64 cores and eventually 4 GPU with 40,000 CUDA cores or more with no water anywhere near it.
What is your use case for such a machine?