Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Not sure if any of the variants are fully compatible with this case, though, it's still early for both.
it's also 165.5mm in height, so i'd reckon that'll fit o_o

EDIT: latest dimensions

Last edited:
Reactions: ZivZulander

hgfb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 19, 2020
Looks like exactly what i'm into, from the OT showcase i'm ~95% set on buying one. Is there a pre-order list yet?

About the handle: LianLi's TU150 had that issue solved by storing the handle in a separate "attic" of the case. the empty space thereby created could be utilized for 3.5'' drives. Otherwise, if the current shape is to be maintained, a leather/ sailcloth strap would also fit well.

YoRHa Edo

Efficiency Noob
New User
Sep 9, 2019
About the handle: LianLi's TU150 had that issue solved by storing the handle in a separate "attic" of the case. the empty space thereby created could be utilized for 3.5'' drives. Otherwise, if the current shape is to be maintained, a leather/ sailcloth strap would also fit well.
That would increase the height of the case even by a little bit
I it would be best to just make the top panel completely vented and have some panel to cover the vents if you didn't want to utilize it for (slim)fans.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I've just seen the Optimum Tech video and just thought, that you might want to consider a bracket that allows installation of the SFX PSU on the bottom front of the case without interfering with the fan. That way it might be possible to install short pci-e cards instead of non.

And it would allow the cables to reach. But it would prevent a 280mm AIO to be installed in the front, so don't know if it's worth it. At that point you may as well install it in the top front like Cerberus.

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
That would increase the height of the case even by a little bit
I it would be best to just make the top panel completely vented and have some panel to cover the vents if you didn't want to utilize it for (slim)fans.

Wouldn't a vented top panel screw with the airflow and bring in more dust?

@Wahaha360 what do you think

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
Very interesting case. Definitely on my shortlist. My 2 cents:
- Handle has to go. It's unnecessary imo.
- Front panel design could be cleaner. The lines/recesses are not very appealing. Looks like a budget office prebuilt PC.

Reactions: riba2233

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is it also possible to use an mATX board with the first four slots and an ATX PSU the last four slots?

Theoretically, this would work – if you sit an ATX PSU in the bottom-rear, it fits within the enclosure and the height of the bottom four PCI slots. I suspect there may be some interference with the bottom edge of the board, however.

The reason we haven't supported this is twofold – one, it would add more parts, complexity, and cuts to the rear panel and associated brackets/plates, which would make the whole rear solution more cumbersome for everyone. Two, in our opinion very few people should be considering ATX power supplies given all the fantastic SFX and SFX-L options in the market today, and in their use case the top mounted location tends to make more sense anyways (mainly to open up the PCI slots).

Any chance we will see a version without a TG side panel and just a metal side panel instead?

Per the OP, our plan is to provide solid panels as the base, with the option for either a windowed side panel or a vented side panel. But solid panels all around is what is 'standard' (and in my opinion is what looks nicest!).

How much clearance would a front mounted radiator have from an EATX motherboard? I don't know what the same metric is for the CerbX, but when I see EATX boards with motherboard and oftentimes EPS connectors on that front edge, I really wonder about the cable strain.

I will let @Wahaha360 answer with a more specific radiator width measurement since I don't have measurements handy, but if you look at the third render in the OP of CX2's frame, you'll notice that the rails for front-mounted fans are offset towards one side - this can actually be flipped in place, allowing the user to decide which direction the rails are offset. We did this deliberately such that folks can shift radiators and fans away or towards the motherboard as needed to ensure a good fit. In our experience most motherboards and radiator/fans work; I have tried various motherboards and radiators and have yet to find an incompatibility in that dimension specifically.

An option with a vented top would be nice

Given the front-to-back cooling design, and our intention to hit a competitive price (holes are expensive!), we don't plan on offering a top vented option. Our expectation is that it would provide negligible benefit thermally, worsen dust, and could actually diminish thermal performance in certain circumstances. (For the original Cerberus, the top fan didn't do much in our testing, but we provided it since it was 'free' to include with the optional handle bracket).

Just to double-down on it: we are firm believers in the front-to-back cooling design. Dual fans at the front are very effective at evacuating hot air quickly, and when investing in good quality fans, they can do this while maintaining reasonable noise levels. Although we are working on a vented side panel as an option, we think this is best suited for very specific builds where supplemental side intake/exhaust makes sense.

Looks like exactly what i'm into, from the OT showcase i'm ~95% set on buying one. Is there a pre-order list yet?

Per the OP, we are planning on opening up pre-orders on March. We want the design to be 100% finalized, with a prototype and price points to show for it, before we start taking folks' money.

Front panel design could be cleaner. The lines/recesses are not very appealing. Looks like a budget office prebuilt PC.

We've been trying a lot of different approaches with the front panel. This has been perhaps the most time consuming part of CX2, actually; given that the enclosure is so boxy, we are limited in what we can do aesthetically to make it unique and beautiful. This is then compounded by the fact that the front-to-back cooling design requires that we create a front panel that adds as little airflow restriction as possible.

The unit that OptimumTech has is a prototype that has a front panel design we first tried out in October. Here are some glory shots I took of it at the time (I think it looks a bit better in silver than black, it's a bit reminiscent of the cheese grater Mac Pro):

CX2_Hero1.jpg
CX2_Hero2.jpg

You will also notice that the side panels extend beyond the front face a touch, and the corners are notched at the top and bottom. I actually quite liked this iteration. The current renders, comparatively, trade this for a metal mesh, and have the top and sides extend out front, with only the bottom corners being notched. This is our current preferred design since we believe it looks better and more distinctive, and would likely provide even better airflow. Naturally as we prototype and experiment we will share that progress with you all!

One other thing - taking a step back, one of our goals with CX2 was to support modularity as a feature, and to that end the front panel we ship on day one will not (in the lifetime of the enclosure) be the only option for end users. We may (for instance) offer this current iteration as an accessory, or experiment with other ventilation patterns or materials.

Optimum Tech just did a review of the prototype, case looks promising but that handle has to go.

yeah the handle needs to change, especially with VRM towers becoming more of a thing

A quick note on the handle: Per the OP, our plan is for the handle to be an option, with the default being a solid panel with no handle. In the absence of the handle, there is ample clearance at the top of the enclosure, and all of the compatibility issues he mentioned go away.

OptimumTech didn't make the optional aspect of the handle clear in the video, but honestly that is on us because our coordination with our manufacturer got a bit confused, and ultimately Ali was not sent the solid top nor a side panel. As was presented to him, the handle was the default, and he had no way to build inside CX2 without the handle option installed. The video still turned out great; we were very happy with it and that's mostly thanks to Ali, who asked many good questions and ultimately made the video an opportunity to provide feedback rather than perform an extensive review (which would be rather pointless given that we are still iterating on the design). Needless to say, we were grateful for his thoughts and time.

Most importantly, in the video he talked about some compatibility issues with the handle that he encountered, and that we had not in our own testing. We are already reviewing how we can modify the handle to address these issues. IMO this goes to show how important diverse component testing is, and how fresh eyes and builds can always uncover new compatibility problems! Needless to say, designing for SFF is not easy; there is good reason that you see so many projects on SFF.N and such emphasis on community feedback for these products.

The handle has been an interesting feature for us to design for. It was important that we provide an option to support it, but at the same time we didn't want to compromise the enclosure for the majority of users who don't end up purchasing one. With the original Cerberus/X, I remember the many iterations we went through on this one feature, and we ultimately settled on a machined handle attached via bolts that slid through holes in the handle and top panel, into a bracket that secures to the internal frame. This worked, and (in my opinion) was fitting of the design goals of the Cerberus/X, but it had some significant compromises: the handle was expensive, and it would stick out permanently, which was a bit divisive from an aesthetic point of view. The handle for CX2 as it exists today is more economical and more integrated, but restricts compatibility for those who use it in ways the original did not. Particularly with what Ali found in his own testing, it's clear that the compatibility issues are too pronounced currently, and so we are investigating what can be done to mitigate them.

I do think this comment pertaining to the handle is worth highlighting:

I actually don't think the handle needs to go, however I do think if it could be made an optional, easily removable component (along the lines of Sliger's implementation on SM series - obviously, don't copy them, but I do think the "door handle" approach works :p); or if there were dual handles, possibly integrated into the panel (e.g. how Bitfenix did with their Prodigy cases, although they used flexible plastic) itself to save on internal space; or "pool railing" (what I like to call it) style handles (a la the Mac Pro, though I'd like anodized or other matte black finish with textured rubber/silicone grip).

Personally, I think dual handles would work best given this case is straddling the area between strict SFF and traditional micro-ATX sizing - single handle is a bit awkward for larger cases - and dual-handles allows for more secure grip and evenly distributed weighting, which helps with something that can be potentially very dense/heavy for the size fully-built. I'm assuming the current handle was an off-the-shelf/bin part from Lian Li, so it's understandable if it's easier and cheaper to use, but it does seem to cause a bit of clearance issues with the incursion into the top mobo space. ? The folding action of the handle is nifty, but for this type of case I don't think it needs to be.

We actually went through essentially all the same thoughts internally! For instance, our first design rev had essentially a "hat" that added an inverted, squared-off U to the top of CX2. This made CX2 taller and created an air gap above the top panel and below the top of the "hat", where one could grab the enclosure from the front and back. Ultimately we had to ditch this design since there was no easy way to integrate it into the frame in a way that was simple, optional, and cost effective.

We also considered things like straps and rails, but encountered similar issues, or decided that we didn't have confidence in the robustness of the solution in the long run or for heavier builds.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
We've been trying a lot of different approaches with the front panel. This has been perhaps the most time consuming part of CX2, actually; given that the enclosure is so boxy, we are limited in what we can do aesthetically to make it unique and beautiful. This is then compounded by the fact that the front-to-back cooling design requires that we create a front panel that adds as little airflow restriction as possible.

The unit that OptimumTech has is a prototype that has a front panel design we first tried out in October. Here are some glory shots I took of it at the time (I think it looks a bit better in silver than black, it's a bit reminiscent of the cheese grater Mac Pro):

You will also notice that the side panels extend beyond the front face a touch, and the corners are notched at the top and bottom. I actually quite liked this iteration. The current renders, comparatively, trade this for a metal mesh, and have the top and sides extend out front, with only the bottom corners being notched. This is our current preferred design since we believe it looks better and more distinctive, and would likely provide even better airflow. Naturally as we prototype and experience we will share that progress with you all!

One other thing - taking a step back, one of our goals with CX2 was to support modularity as a feature, and to that end the front panel we ship on day one will not (in the lifetime of the enclosure) be the only option for end users. We may (for instance) offer this current iteration as an accessory, or experiment with other ventilation patterns or materials.

I do understand the requirement for the ventilation holes. In fact I do prefer that over solid panel/glass, especially for this CX2. What i meant by cleaner are the lines around the vents area. Is there a functional reason why the vents area is recessed compared to the rest of the front panel?

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I do understand the requirement for the ventilation holes. In fact I do prefer that over solid panel/glass, especially for this CX2. What i meant by cleaner are the lines around the vents area. Is there a functional reason why the vents area is recessed compared to the rest of the front panel?

If I'm not mistaken, it looks recessed because the side panels come out beyond the edge of the case (optical illusion). If the side panels were removed, it would look normal.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I'm not mistaken, it looks recessed because the side panels come out beyond the edge of the case (optical illusion). If the side panels were removed, it would look normal.

@gwertheim is correct; the front panel is essentially flush against the front portion of the internal chassis. We have the top and side panels extend beyond a bit both for aesthetic reasons, as well as to provide a lip to grip at the front and back when removing the panels.

On the front panel itself, the center is recessed somewhat relative to the sides; this recess is what the front I/O plate sits in, which is functionally (and aesthetically in our opinion) better.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
@gwertheim is correct; the front panel is essentially flush against the front portion of the internal chassis. We have the top and side panels extend beyond a bit both for aesthetic reasons, as well as to provide a lip to grip at the front and back when removing the panels.

On the front panel itself, the center is recessed somewhat relative to the sides; this recess is what the front I/O plate sits in, which is functionally (and aesthetically in our opinion) better.
I was referring to the center area of the front panel. I think it's cleaner if the whole front panel is flat and simple, with the I/O integrated seamlessly and not looking like they're tacked on. Like Dan A4's but with vent holes, if that makes sense. But each to their own.

Reactions: chyll2

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I agree with @heckinwoofer

it might be done to death but I prefer a flat front as well (I dont mind the side panel lip extending beyond). imo, either bring the IO flat to being recessed or dont recess inward the vented panel (making it flat to the IO)

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
Interesting, if you do end up mitigating some of the issues with the handle, then I think it shouldn't be a deal-breaker even for the ardent handle-haters (weird to see how many showed up on the Optimum Tech preview!).

I totally understand the decision to not to top ventilation, and very much agree that front-to-back is ideal, and should be sufficient for airflow. Especially given the front mesh and 140mm fan support. ? I'll always take more ventilation even at the cost of more dust (as long as case is easy to open, it's easy to air dust), but it's not likely to make a difference when you have front-to-back airflow.

I don't have a problem with the aesthetics; it's clearly designed to be a somewhat minimalistic workstation case, and it looks perfectly fine for that role. Simple and elegant. ?

One question: what's the clearance/distance between the bottom of the case and floor and/or how tall are the feet? Hoping it's 10-20mm or more off the ground, unless bottom intake isn't impacted by less than that (can't say I've ever tested this myself). Sorry if I missed it, just did a quick check of thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I totally understand the decision to not to top ventilation, and very much agree that front-to-back is ideal, and should be sufficient for airflow. Especially given the front mesh and 140mm fan support. ? I'll always take more ventilation even at the cost of more dust (as long as case is easy to open, it's easy to air dust), but it's not likely to make a difference when you have front-to-back airflow.

yeah, it's fine when there's a pretty clear path of airflow. i only got the top fan brackets for my cerberus is because i had the intake from the side and exhaust to the top, effectively making the CPU side open-bench-like

adding the top vents might require fans to prevent loss of pressure with respect to direction, and also introduces another aperture for dust when it's able to settle.

One question: what's the clearance/distance between the bottom of the case and floor and/or how tall are the feet? Hoping it's 10-20mm or more off the ground, unless bottom intake isn't impacted by less than that (can't say I've ever tested this myself).
i'm assuming 5mm, going by the initial dimensions in the OP and just how it looks, but I gotta defer to Phoenix and Wahaha360 for official answers ,_,

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
if you look at the third render in the OP of CX2's frame, you'll notice that the rails for front-mounted fans are offset towards one side - this can actually be flipped in place, allowing the user to decide which direction the rails are offset. We did this deliberately such that folks can shift radiators and fans away or towards the motherboard as needed to ensure a good fit. In our experience most motherboards and radiator/fans work; I have tried various motherboards and radiators and have yet to find an incompatibility in that dimension specifically

I did notice that. Good to know that that panel can be flipped. Looks nice so far!

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
compatibility wise, this checks all the boxes. I've been thinking about this type of front-to-back with the bottom sfx mount since I saw @Necere 's matx renderings, and I think the slight bump in width to allow a d15 is a good call. while my ‘giant’ mid tower suits my needs for an immobile pc, I'd happily pay for a premium case that a.) can sit on my desk without consuming it b.) fits most everything I have/will have and c.) has good cooling/looks nice.

I’m not sure if it’s feasible, but I think tool-less tempered glass panels look substantially more premium than a window. lian li's o11 dynamic mechanism doesn't seem like it would work, but maybe something like the fractal define r6's (which uses push pins on half) would. both of them have the frame for the mounting hardware on the inside of the glass panel, leaving the external side of the panel with a darkened edge and smooth appearance.

something about the front panel looks a little off to me. the more I look at the mesh/vented section being set back from the sides, the more I like the visual distinction. the io panel seems a little less intentional. maybe it's the seam between the io plate and the sides (could that be one piece?) or that it's the same color but it strikes me as tacked on. the io port/power button imbalance also draws my eye more than I'd prefer. I know you can't please everyone there, so +1 for at least a blank offering. any particular reason (besides aesthetics) to have the io at the top rather than the bottom of the panel?

I also don't dig the look of the bottom cutouts and would prefer a solid panel, though I suspect the option of a second radiator is too good a marketing point to pass up. I'd be curious if those vents have any measurable impact on air cooling setups.

it's definitely a project I'll follow