Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
So I have a weird Idea and I want to gauge some interest. I wouldnt normally post this in SFF as it mostly falls outside the range of this forum but I need it and want to see if anyone would like to see it as I finish it in the next 6 months.

Im breaking it into 3 sections. The desk, the case, and the frame.

The frame will be constructed from square steel beams, the desk built with aluminum and smoked acrylic, and the case will be built from aluminum. The frame will be constructed to be a sit stand desk using a few motors and a microcontroller to control height adjustment.

The idea of making the case separate from the frame is to construct the frame in a way that the case is able to be pulled out like a drawer (or server rack) and that case then put into a Pelican case for portability. Think of the COTS case in the build logs section of this forum. Essentially the case is a modular part that can be used either in the desk or in the pelican without compromising between the two options.

The actual desk portion will be a shaped piece of smoked acrylic (or if i can afford it tinted auto glass). Im wanting to mount a monitor (21-27'') on the underside of the desk so its visible through the acrylic for showing system diagnostics.

Primary (4k 32'') and Tertiary (2x 1080p 24'') Monitors, Speakers, and misc peripherals will be mounted using clamp on off-the-shelf parts that will attach to the upper frame of the desk.

All in all im looking at a desk space of 5'x3' and height adjustments of 3' to 5.1'. Desk thickness (from glass to bottom of case) is looking to be about 4''. The case itself is looking to be ~10-15L. So its a large desk, but I feel the case idea is pretty novel and I havent seen anyone do anything like this before.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Looks like 6 people want to see it here, I'll make a build log in around 3 months with concept drawings and more information. I'll be moving into the new space in roughly 4 months (January) and I should have it built and finished by March.

Im looking at doing a mITX Ryzen build. As to what components I haven't decided yet. I need to see what the new job entails so I can see what I need for it versus my personal needs. Got a position as a Test & Verification Engineer (for anyone wondering)

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Did you leave your "LAN party" gig?

Yeah I did. That job is mostly a summer thing where I did IT work, consultations, and setup for the convention events. The owner of the business is a friend and left my position open to me during the summer so I had something to do and didn't have to go far from home. Im finishing up my degree soon and already accepted a new job close to home that will let me keep working on my passion projects while also making a stable living for my (soon to be) family.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Small Update
I've got the plans mocked up and parts chosen. Should have them uploaded for criticism in the next few days in a new thread. The project has taken on a mind of its own and I fear i'll need some ideas on how to bring it back down to earth before I go too crazy with it lol.