SFF.Network Innodisk booth at Computex 2017

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Wow, it would be great to have more VLP DDR4 options, especially with a performance focus. I've been wondering why there's nothing like the old Ballistix VLP DDR3. Maybe most air coolers safely clear standard height DIMMs these days, so there's no demand anymore.
Agreed, I loved my kit of ballistix and it worked great with my U9S, I just think everything about this new generation is about big and bulky. Like 3 slot GPUs, motherboards covered in plastic shrouds, CPU coolers with plastic cases and memory with 60mm heatsinks.

I

Ionrent

To add a bit, Samsung B-Die is definitely the way to go right now for either AMD or Intel based systems. Nearly all the 24/7 stable memory overclocks on OCN use G.Skill kits with Samsung B-Die chips. The crazy hwbot folk regularly bin multiple B-Die kits for benching. If you're looking for more credible sources, both Jon Sandstrom (elmor) from Asus ROG and Robert Hallock from AMD have also recommended B-Die.

Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
2666 is the highest speed they can offer, but you're obviously able to overclock it. They didn't have any information on timings out and unfortunately I forgot to ask. I asked about Samsung B-Dies and they said they can offer those, SK-Hynix or Micron as per order, but since my impression is that the Samsung works hands-down the best for Ryzen while working more or less just as well for Intel, I specifically asked about that. Please let me know if that information is wrong. Furthermore they said that they are willing to do a PCB colour other than green if we can get adequate numbers together for an MOQ. I'll get more information about this later.

Black would be the PCB choice of color for me...

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I would be intrested in 2x16GB with any speed, the higher the better.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I would be intrested in 2x16GB with any speed, the higher the better.
I would be interested, but note that I'm on 4000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX's at 2x8GB... I'd be satisfied with a 2x8GB kit, but id like to see speeds faster than the 2666 that they have...

What would make me SETTLE for 2666 is if the Dan HSLP-48 ends up fitting inside the S4 mini and does end up fitting with a slim 15mmx120mm fan, that would REQUIRE that Innodisk VLP. If I were you I'd get on the [H[ardOCP forums thread for the Dan HSLP-48 and mention to them that this RAM could be what we might need. :) https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-h...50mm-heatsink.1925480/page-15#post-1043025612

I actually dont know if @dondan knows about this VLP DDR4 or if hw has tested it with his HSLP-48 yet, he should be notified so he can order some and test it with his cooler and report back to us, this would give Inno3d some extra customers for thier grand achievement of VLP DDR4. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Ionrent
I

Ionrent

I messaged @Kmpkt on [H] but I figured I throw my thoughts out here as well to see if there's anyone else who agrees/disagrees with my thinking (warning, long read):
Here are my thoughts (I posted a bit in the SFFN thread as well). I'm coming from the perspective of wanting high performance at the expense of capacity for my main system. But I'd also like to build a Ryzen workstation where 32GB is my minimum requirement. I'm picturing two VLP DDR4 kits:

#1: 2x8GB, Single Rank (Single Sided)

#2: 2x16GB, Dual Rank (Double Sided)

8Gb Samsung B-Die chips, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, and black colored PCB for both.

If G.Skill is any indication, kit #1 can range from 2400 at 1.2V to 4266 at 1.4V depending on how the manufacturer has decided to market the kits (and to be fair, how they've pre-sorted the chips). The single rank kits are amazingly flexible.

Kit #2 would be more limited due to the dual rank configuration (max is about 3600). The timings tend to be poor for these above 3200-3400. Compatibility at higher speeds seems to be better in the beta AGESA bios updates.

For either one, you should consider a minimum XMP/DOCP profile of 3200 CL14 1.35V, but it depends on how receptive Innodisk is to the idea. They may only want to program modest JEDEC profiles like 2400 CL14 1.2V or 2666 CL15 1.2V since, I'm assuming, anything else requires additional validation and cost. I personally don't care, because I would immediately set the voltage to 1.4-1.45V and tune the memory manually. But I doubt most people would want to bother with that, so a decent XMP/DOCP profile should be included.

Another consideration is that I can already get ECC unbuffered 16GB VLP sticks from Crucial that run at 2400 and are ~$170 per stick. Users who actually need more than 16GB of memory may just go with slower ECC memory because reliability is more important for the use case. It's expensive, but how much cheaper will a small run of custom memory really be? That's where it's important to have selling points like B-Die, a faster XMP profile, and even the black PCB.

Thanks for reading!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So preliminary quote is 105 USD per 8GB stick with a fairly lofty MOQ. Considering the normal price of B-Die RAM seems to be around this level, would this be acceptable for people?

Reactions: aquelito

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
So preliminary quote is 105 USD per 8GB stick with a fairly lofty MOQ. Considering the normal price of B-Die RAM seems to be around this level, would this be acceptable for people?
Hmm, I just talked to them over the phone, and they said I could order an individual amount. Are we both talking VLP SODIMMs?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think Kmpkt is talking about the custom ones with a black PCB.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The custom order would be made with a black PCB as well as being made with Samsung B-dies which means optimal performance with Ryzen as well as being about the best chips you can get at the moment I believe. You can order single DIMMs in green from them and I am getting more details on this as well. I think they're using SK Hynix on their stock DIMMs.

Reactions: sergiiua
I

Ionrent

That's not too bad I guess. But at what speed, XMP certification, etc.?

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Guys, I found something interesting in InnoDisk cataloque. Much lower SODIMM DDR4 than 25mm.

288pin in description. I think it’s mistake.
ECC in description. I thinks it’s possible to order with non-ECC.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes Mini DIMM is for embedded applications like high-performance routers, it's not compatible with any PC motherboard I know of.