Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Well, tried both 2933 & 2667, the damn thing won't boot :| I even tried setting up DDR voltage beyond 1.35, 2400 is the highest it can go. I'm on latest 413 BIOS and "official Ryzen" GSkill DDR4 modules... Wonder if X370GTN is any different.

One issue is that the RAM, Infinity Fabric and SoC speeds seem to be all tied together. I have 3200/CL16 TridentZ's w/ an R7 1700 - when I run the chip at stock 3.0GHz clocks, I can only get a stable 2400MHz on my RAM, but when I push it up to 3.7GHz+ I can get my RAM running at 2933MHz on an MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro (w/o touching SoC Voltage at all). Recently Richard Hallock of AMD did a stepthrough for RAM overclocking and recommended volting the SoC to 1.1V, RAM up to 1.5V (discussion here), and 40-60 ohms for ProcODT.

It's been previously established that the best bet for hitting 3200MHz+ right now is w/ a single pair of Samsung B-Die RAM. Anyway, hopefully with the May AGESA updates, things will work better. One other good tip that will make life a lot easier is that all the settings can be adjusted in real-time (Windows only) in Ryzen Master - that's probably a lot easier than clearing the BIOS over and over and for fine tuning.

Reactions: Phuncz

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Waiting for Raven Ridge, buying a few bits for it while I wait..........A G-Unique DC adaptor and some Ram so far.........I got the 16GB (2x8) Ballistix Sport from Cruicial, the boring grey ones.............Rated at 2400.....I foresee no big issue with this speed, and probably by the time that RR is available there wil have been lots of magic dust sprinkled over the Ram issues, so fully expecting to be able to tweak speed if I want.......I bought the Ram early because it was on offer for £70.00........So a nice saving

Jin

Trash Compacter
Apr 27, 2017
Waiting for Raven Ridge, buying a few bits for it while I wait..........A G-Unique DC adaptor and some Ram so far.........I got the 16GB (2x8) Ballistix Sport from Cruicial, the boring grey ones.............Rated at 2400.....I foresee no big issue with this speed, and probably by the time that RR is available there wil have been lots of magic dust sprinkled over the Ram issues, so fully expecting to be able to tweak speed if I want.......I bought the Ram early because it was on offer for £70.00........So a nice saving
same pick up my piece of 16GB x 2 @ 2933 at frys for $64. Waiting on R.R. now :[

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Apr 14, 2017
One issue is that the RAM, Infinity Fabric and SoC speeds seem to be all tied together. I have 3200/CL16 TridentZ's w/ an R7 1700 - when I run the chip at stock 3.0GHz clocks, I can only get a stable 2400MHz on my RAM, but when I push it up to 3.7GHz+ I can get my RAM running at 2933MHz on an MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro (w/o touching SoC Voltage at all). Recently Richard Hallock of AMD did a stepthrough for RAM overclocking and recommended volting the SoC to 1.1V, RAM up to 1.5V (discussion here), and 40-60 ohms for ProcODT.

It's been previously established that the best bet for hitting 3200MHz+ right now is w/ a single pair of Samsung B-Die RAM. Anyway, hopefully with the May AGESA updates, things will work better. One other good tip that will make life a lot easier is that all the settings can be adjusted in real-time (Windows only) in Ryzen Master - that's probably a lot easier than clearing the BIOS over and over and for fine tuning.
Appreciate the info, thanks! I've tried everything the links suggest; maxing SoC, RAM & CPU voltages, (both BIOS and Ryzen Master) to no avail, nothing other than 2400 would work.

On the other hand, I've rearranged heat-pipes@ Streacom DB4 (now 3 pipes lead to each radiator) and used thermal paste instead of pads, and it looks WAY better:

The cooling is obviously more efficient, it is hitting 95C (throttling temp) only after a full hour, and its only two radiators involved! This looks acceptable indeed, can Linux now without worrying of turning the DB4 into a stove. Now if only I could slightly undervolt the thing in UEFI BIOS, it would be a perfect fanless PC.

Last edited:

Jin

Trash Compacter
Apr 27, 2017

16Gbx2 for 64$?! :eek:

And here I was thinking my 8Gbx2 @2666 (CL13) were a steal at 100€... :(

http://www.frys.com/product/8911983?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Sorry it was Price: $65.99 @ 2400MHz but mine OC up to 2933MHz =]. It was free shipping too but now instore only.

szymon247

Caliper Novice
May 2, 2017
Hey guys! I'm new here, as since I've been using this thread (like I'm sure a lot of lurkers do) for information about AM4 ITX boards, I would like to give back to the community. In case anyone just like me has been anticipating to fit a decent low-profile cooler for their upcoming AM4 builds, I was waiting for Noctua's AM4 brackets for the NH-L9a. Today I got an update from Noctua that they are releasing a new edition of the NH-L9 for AM4, called NH-L9a SE-AM4:

I'm not sure if this is known info, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and I'm posting it anyway as I would find it very useful, as I almost went with the Cyorig C7 just because of no updates regarding a NH-L9 for AM4.

If anyone has any more recent updates regarding the Gigabyte or ASRock boards, that would be awesome, as I didn't receive any responses to direct e-mails and Facebook questions regarding those (almost as if they wanted me to get the Biostar board instead of waiting for their products), and I would rather not get the Biostar board if the others are around the corner. Just personal brand preference combined with a preference of built in Wi-fi, better audio chips and potential support of future >95W Zen+ chips.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's kinda rough that people have to buy a whole new heatsink rather than a bracket kit for an existing L9i or L9a.

Reactions: Soul_Est

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Hey guys! I'm new here, as since I've been using this thread (like I'm sure a lot of lurkers do) for information about AM4 ITX boards, I would like to give back to the community. In case anyone just like me has been anticipating to fit a decent low-profile cooler for their upcoming AM4 builds, I was waiting for Noctua's AM4 brackets for the NH-L9a. Today I got an update from Noctua that they are releasing a new edition of the NH-L9 for AM4, called NH-L9a SE-AM4:

I'm not sure if this is known info, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and I'm posting it anyway as I would find it very useful, as I almost went with the Cyorig C7 just because of no updates regarding a NH-L9 for AM4.

If anyone has any more recent updates regarding the Gigabyte or ASRock boards, that would be awesome, as I didn't receive any responses to direct e-mails and Facebook questions regarding those (almost as if they wanted me to get the Biostar board instead of waiting for their products), and I would rather not get the Biostar board if the others are around the corner. Just personal brand preference combined with a preference of built in Wi-fi, better audio chips and potential support of future >95W Zen+ chips.

Awesome, thanks for the news! If Noctua is there to save me from how tall the Wraith Cooler is, I might stay on path and go with AM4 this year.

That's kinda rough that people have to buy a whole new heatsink rather than a bracket kit for an existing L9i or L9a.

The email said they'll release 'L9a upgrade kits', wouldn't that mean people will be able to use existing L9a for AM4? Probably no hope for L9i though...

Reactions: SeñorDonut

szymon247

Caliper Novice
May 2, 2017

According to their e-mail, they're releasing a new heatsink (very cool for those actually buying a new cooler) and also an upgrade kit (brackets) for existing L9as this month.

Awesome, thanks for the news! If Noctua is there to save me from how tall the Wraith Cooler is, I might stay on path and go with AM4 this year.

That's exactly my problem and it's surprising how tall they made it. It's about 0.5cm taller than the SG13 can fit. Otherwise it would be a perfect low profile cooler actually.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
As far as I can tell the L9i could interfere with the RAM slots and the L9a could interfere with the VRM.

I really wish AMD just went all out with a square mounting pattern instead of keeping a rectangular one that's also just different enough to screw with all the AM3 mounting systems and heatsinks.

szymon247

Caliper Novice
May 2, 2017
the L9a could interfere with the VRM.

You mean with the brackets? Because the heatsink itself looks like it would fit in just as well as the C7, so I assume the NH-L9A SE-AM4, whatever it is, should fit just as well?

Edit: Right, it's wider. I hope it still fits though.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, after double-checking the L9a should work. But it's hard to say 100% since I've yet to come across an official spec for the keepout zone on either AM3 or AM4.

Reactions: szymon247