Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I think Raven will definitely be worth the wait, and no doubt by then motherboards will be more Ryzen refined and lots of AMD tweaks between now and the RR APU release date. So plenty of time to fill the war chest for best of each component category..........

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's not true, they will just refuse to fulfill the order in my experience.

Bummer. I've managed to place an order on NCIX a couple times and had this happen. Must be a policy difference between NCIX and Newegg.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I can confirm @Aibohphobia 's statement is generally true, although exceptions do exist. In my country I know of one store who abuses this, by consistently pricing below market-price and having availability, ofter ordering saying they just ran out of stock, in the end jacking up the price and only refunding you in store credit. How this store still exists, I don't know.

Reactions: NATi and Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Except for the store credit part I've seen that too in the USA. An amazingly low price gets posted on all the deal sites, only for stock to run out almost instantly.

So as far as I can tell it's just used for free advertising.

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Apr 14, 2017
I finally had time to play more with my B350GTN.

The above setup is meant to be fully fanless, still work under progress. I never intended to overclock this contraption, yet it seems that R7 1700 was not an ideal choice for going fanless, but still the throttling doesn't look too extreme. Wish B350GTN had undervolt options in BIOS (has plenty over-clocking and over-voliting options though).

Note about DDR4 modules ([Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14D-16GFX), B350GTN understands that the modules are XMP and shows the frequencies, voltages and latencies correctly, but when choosing to use XMP profile the thing doesn't boot (haven't tried manual settings yet).

Will post more pics when the proper GPU is in place.

Last edited:

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I finally had time to play more with my B350GTN.

The above setup is meant to be fully fanless, still work under progress. I never intended to overclock this contraption, yet it seems that R7 1700 was not an ideal choice for going fanless, but still the throttling doesn't look too extreme. Wish B350GTN had undervolt options in BIOS (has plenty over-clocking and over-voliting options though).

Note about DDR4 modules ([Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14D-16GFX), B350GTN understands that the modules are XMP and shows the frequencies, voltages and latencies correctly, but when choosing to use XMP profile the thing doesn't boot (haven't tried manual settings yet).

Will post more pics when the proper GPU is in place.

Did you use thermal pads or thermal paste on yout test build? Also you could try power limiting the CPU power in windows (not as elegant as undervolting in BIOS, but will lower your max clocks).

Jin

Trash Compacter
Apr 27, 2017
Did you use thermal pads or thermal paste on yout test build? Also you could try power limiting the CPU power in windows (not as elegant as undervolting in BIOS, but will lower your max clocks).
No undervolt? wtf biostar... both MSI and asrock has that option. Maybe i'll wait for asrock :[

Reactions: Soul_Est

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Apr 14, 2017
Thermal pads included with the http://www.streacom.com/products/lh6-cpu-heatpipe-kit-for-db4/. I know they ain't ideal, but they do seem to transfer the heat to the radiators fine, although a bit slow. I decided to only use LH6 blocks for cooling the CPU to save the long heat block for GPU, and for the same reason I pulled the 4 heat-pipies UNDER the MB. This is somewhat unusual and pretty tight, and thermal pads just fill the gap nicely, and paste would probably wouldn't (unless I used the excessive amounts of it).

The pads could have been thicker, does anyone know if good & thicker ones are are sold separately anywhere?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Try with the XMP at 2933 instead of 3200, not all combinations of board, memory and CPU can work at 3200 (yet). Do you have the latest BIOS ? There's an update planned from AMD this week that is going to be implemented in BIOS updates soon after, which is promised to improve high DDR4 clock speed compatibility.

Zgembo

Trash Compacter
Apr 14, 2017
Try with the XMP at 2933 instead of 3200, not all combinations of board, memory and CPU can work at 3200 (yet). Do you have the latest BIOS ? There's an update planned from AMD this week that is going to be implemented in BIOS updates soon after, which is promised to improve high DDR4 clock speed compatibility.

Well, tried both 2933 & 2667, the damn thing won't boot :| I even tried setting up DDR voltage beyond 1.35, 2400 is the highest it can go. I'm on latest 413 BIOS and "official Ryzen" GSkill DDR4 modules... Wonder if X370GTN is any different.

I also tried "Custom P-States" in UEFI BIOS, and well, there are no "states", but only one "state"!?! Yes, one can only set P0 state in current implementation of the UEFI BIOS, and the lowest voltage that is selectable is 1.05V. Lame, hope they fix this in the future BIOS revisions...

I've also checked that Reddit thread, and played a bit with Ryzen Master. My R7 1700 seems to be running stable at 0.85V @ 3GHz, but since I never planned to use Windows Ryzen Master is utterly useless to me. Again, setting memory clock to anything higher than (1200 in Ryzen Master) 2400 would cause POST loops. Interestingly, when UEFI BIOS fails to boot (it POST-loops couple of times) it resets all its options to defaults, at least one doesn't need to do annoying "CMOS clear".

This BIOS is in totally beta state, if not even worse... I just returned all the clocks and voltages to stock values, it seems to be the most reasonable option before this is fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

Jin

Trash Compacter
Apr 27, 2017
Well, tried both 2933 & 2667, the damn thing won't boot :| I even tried setting up DDR voltage beyond 1.35, 2400 is the highest it can go. I'm on latest 413 BIOS and "official Ryzen" GSkill DDR4 modules... Wonder if X370GTN is any different.

I also tried "Custom P-States" in UEFI BIOS, and well, there are no "states", but only one "state"!?! Yes, one can only set P0 state in current implementation of the UEFI BIOS, and the lowest voltage that is selectable is 1.05V. Lame, hope they fix this in the future BIOS revisions...

I've also checked that Reddit thread, and played a bit with Ryzen Master. My R7 1700 seems to be running stable at 0.85V @ 3GHz, but since I never planned to use Windows Ryzen Master is utterly useless to me. Again, setting memory clock to anything higher than (1200 in Ryzen Master) 2400 would cause POST loops. Interestingly, when UEFI BIOS fails to boot (it POST-loops couple of times) it resets all its options to defaults, at least one doesn't need to do annoying "CMOS clear".

This BIOS is in totally beta state, if not even worse... I just returned all the clocks and voltages to stock values, it seems to be the most reasonable option before this is fixed.

What mobo

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
when will it be available In EU? Any news? Also, waiting for the ASRock will be better I guess.

Last edited: