Motherboard Incoming AM4 Mini-ITX boards

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Yea it looks like we know what the X stands for at the end of the product names now. XFR enabled or not. So everything gets a base and a boost clock, but if your chip has XFR it will auto boost even higher based on the cooling solution you put on your CPU.

Looking at the list, it looks like the fastest 65w TDP chip with XFR is the R5 1400x. Base clock 3.5, Boost clock 3.9, 4 cores / 8 threads, with XFR boosting even higher. All for only $199.

Assuming the entire lineup is actually competitive with the intel lineup, i'll probably get the R5 1400x. I don't need a lot of cores, but i do need higher single core performance. Boost clock before XFR is only 100mhz below the R7 1800x, and the fact that the TDP is only 65w means whichever cooling solution you use won't have to cool as much so XFR should boost even higher. If the IPC is on par with skylake/kabylake, then we're talking about an i7-6700k with a 65w TDP for less than $200.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
18 days away from official release...I hope it will help me to choose at least my future cpu platform for my cerberus-X..:)

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I'm still waiting to see what selection of motherboards we will have access to.

Overall, I have yet to find an mATX or even ITX board that I find extremely appealing. I'm still looking for that go-to board.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
that's why I love Cerberus-X...with full ATX MB, you can find easily your happiness..:)

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I am hoping that my skepticism is proven wrong as I desperately want AMD to compete with Intel!

I just don't see how a 65W TDP 8C/16T (AMD) chip will be able to compete with a 65W TDP 4C/8T (Intel) chip in applications that benefit from high single threaded performance when they are both using 14nm tech! Maybe I am not understanding something quite obvious?

Twice as many cores/threads but the same power consumption? Unless AMD have dramatically improved IPC will that not mean there single threaded core performance will be roughly half of that of an equivalent TDP Intel chip?

I am probably not understanding how these CPU's work?

Reactions: Kwirek

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I am hoping that my skepticism is proven wrong as I desperately want AMD to compete with Intel!

I just don't see how a 65W TDP 8C/16T (AMD) chip will be able to compete with a 65W TDP 4C/8T (Intel) chip in applications that benefit from high single threaded performance when they are both using 14nm tech! Maybe I am not understanding something quite obvious?

Twice as many cores/threads but the same power consumption? Unless AMD have dramatically improved IPC will that not mean there single threaded core performance will be roughly half of that of an equivalent TDP Intel chip?

All we know are TDP ratings, not actual power usage. Intel is pretty conservative about TDP's and mostly has them rated around the actual power usage, but I've seen 65w TDP AMD cpu's using 120 watts of power.

Also, always take leaks from 'techsite' wccftech with a bag of salt.

Reactions: MarcParis and K888D

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com

There is a lot of tech under the hood that does things we aren't used to seeing.
That being said, AMD's single threaded performance is still much lower than what I am used to.
However, some of the other results are extremely promising.

Ryzen 1700x @ 3.39GHz

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.6GHz (my submission)

Intel i7-6800k @ 3.4GHz

It will be interesting to see how high the CPU ST score will be when Ryzen is above 4.0GHz (+600MHz). The good news is, at 2046 ST it's already well beyond the 1800 CPU ST that is required for using PS2 and Gamecube emulators.

(Image Source)

Last edited:

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
We are getting leaks on price and availability on AM4 CPUs but nothing on boards. Well ASUS doesn't count because they only go down to mATX. Any idea when Biostar will release prices on the x370 GTN? Can't use the chips w/o the boards.

Reactions: zovc

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
There is a lot of tech under the hood that does things we aren't used to seeing.
That being said, AMD's single threaded performance is still much lower than what I am used to.
However, some of the other results are extremely promising.

Ryzen 1700x @ 3.39GHz

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.6GHz (my submission)

Intel i7-6800k @ 3.4GHz

It will be interesting to see how high the CPU ST score will be when Ryzen is above 4.0GHz (+600MHz). The good news is, at 2046 ST it's already well beyond the 1800 CPU ST that is required for using PS2 and Gamecube emulators.

(Image Source)

Let's see single thread performance while OC, or at least boost applied...:)
Just by estimating single cpu performance of R7 1700X :
  • @4GHz (instead of 3.4Ghz), you are reaching something like 2407(approx)
  • @4.6GHz (instead of 3.4Ghz), you are reaching something like 2768(approx)..similar IPC as Haswell (make sense)

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
All we know are TDP ratings, not actual power usage. Intel is pretty conservative about TDP's and mostly has them rated around the actual power usage, but I've seen 65w TDP AMD cpu's using 120 watts of power.

Also, always take leaks from 'techsite' wccftech with a bag of salt.
Yes, Intel and AMD have different ways of measuring TDP, which is why I don't think it's fair to say, at least for now, that AMD managed to make a 95W CPU that is able to compete with a 140W Intel CPU when in a load scenario I can see those 95W going closer to 140W anyway. I'm also a bit skeptical, even though I will be definitely buying a Ryzen APU later in the year.

We are getting leaks on price and availability on AM4 CPUs but nothing on boards. Well ASUS doesn't count because they only go down to mATX. Any idea when Biostar will release prices on the x370 GTN? Can't use the chips w/o the boards.
Apparently there will be no ITX motherboards at launch, we're going to have to wait.