CPU I'm so glad I waited for Ampere!

maveric

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Getting the performance of a RTX 2080 Ti at half the price!? ?

I almost started building a new SFF 2 months ago, but decided against it based on rumors of the upcoming NVIDIA GPU line. After viewing today's NVIDIA GeForce event, I'm so glad I did. The entire line has more than exceeded all of my expectations!

The lesson I learned is never start a new PC build when the next gen is just around the corner! If I had, not only would I have overspent on the GPU but the PSU would probably have been too weak and the case too small. Patience is truly a virtue!

Last edited:

JSItems

Caliper Novice
Apr 28, 2019
In the same vein, wait for benchmarks before buying these GPUs. It's always possible they mean 2x the performance when using DLSS, or it was 2x the performance in one benchmark but it's more like 1.1x performance when averaging all benchmarks/games.

I'm obviously overstating things here, but I would never trust a company (AMD, Intel, or Nvidia) to be completely honest in a marketing video.

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
I’m so excited !!!!
It’s a wonderful news !

i have a hackintosh but I think I will make a PC after this announce !

devolv

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2020
In the same vein, wait for benchmarks before buying these GPUs. It's always possible they mean 2x the performance when using DLSS, or it was 2x the performance in one benchmark but it's more like 1.1x performance when averaging all benchmarks/games.

I'm obviously overstating things here, but I would never trust a company (AMD, Intel, or Nvidia) to be completely honest in a marketing video.

This. I would almost even say that it's 100% the case that these performance charts are referencing Raytracing and DLSS performance compared to RTX 2000. It will be less lacklustre when comparing games that don't use either, which is more common since most games we play don't use either technologies or have the option to turn them off to get better FPS. I would wait for independent reviews that stack these up to previous generation cards before we rejoice on the news.