Part Component (and OS) recommendations for DIY NAS?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Very nice posts ! Do you have good read/write speeds ?
Thanks! I've actually been too lazy to get around to wiring up the apartment for 2.5GbE (have it planned for the summer), so sadly I don't have any good performance data. The HDD-based pools easily saturate GbE though. It also deals just fine with concurrent sequential/random workloads like copying stuff while running torrents. Currently sitting at pretty much exactly half a year of uptime, so stability is also excellent.

Reactions: eedev

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
The HDD-based pools easily saturate GbE though. It also deals just fine with concurrent sequential/random workloads like copying stuff while running torrents. Currently sitting at pretty much exactly half a year of uptime, so stability is also excellent.

Did you set your pool to do sync writes (sync = always) or did you left it on default values?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Did you set your pool to do sync writes (sync = always) or did you left it on default values?
I left that at default. I don't think I ever looked into what that option did, or if I did I've since forgotten - way too much to wrap my head around every setting at the time I was setting this up. From some quick googling it seems that setting sync=always can have some negative effects on performance? I doubt that would matter to me, but this also seems to be a setting that can be changed at will, so I might try it out given that 'always' should be marginally safer. Then again, writes to my backup drive are relatively rare, and I have a UPS, so it's extremely unlikely that I'll see any data loss from an unsynced write.

tasen

Caliper Novice
Apr 30, 2020
Default should be sync write disabled. I was wondering how you could saturate a Gbe connection that's why I was asking :)
Sync = always has a massive drop in performance. On my old setup with 4 WD Red drives I could only get around 20 - 30 MB/s with sync=always. Tried Raid-Z and also mirrored drive pool but performance was always very low.
Only an Intel optane drive helped me to get 300-400MB/s write speed (SLOG device) with 10Gbe and the 4 WD Reds

Reactions: Valantar