Log I'm downsizing: Nr200 or TU150

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Hey lads,

i've been thinking about downsizing from my Define R5 and would like some advice from you. It more or less started with me needing a new PSU, since mine is from 2015 and doesn't have enough EPS connectors for Ryzen (i'm runing with only a 4pin).

I've decided to go with the mainstream available cases and parts that i can get my hands on without issues and waiting time. I'll be keeping crucial parts such as my GPU, SSDs and maybe CPU and RAM.

Hardware i'll keep:
Strix 2080ti OC
One 3.0 M.2 SSD and one Sata SSD

Hardware i might upgrade at the same time:
3900X to 5900X
2x8GB 3200MHz LPX kit to whatever the best 3600MHz kit is

I got two potential builds lined up:

NR200
Strix B550-I
SF750
Fuma 2
Thoughfan 12 PWM 4x

TU150
Strix B550-I
SF750
NH-D15 (i've got this in my rig rn)
Thoughfan 12 PWM 4x

If you could give me some inputs of cons and pros of boths builds, that would be nice. Price wise, it's the same really and it's just about the case and component fit. I plan to deshroud my 2080ti, that's why i got the extra fans. And the other 2 are meant for to go on the CPU cooler, for them extra °c gains.

IF i decide to swap to a 5900X, i'd like fitting ram aswell. So, my pick for now would be the BL2K8G36C16U4B 2x8GB 3600Mhz dual rank kit from Crucial. < i heard mixed stories about some people getting single rank, so give me some suggestions on other RAM abtions aswell.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey lads,

i've been thinking about downsizing from my Define R5 and would like some advice from you. It more or less started with me needing a new PSU, since mine is from 2015 and doesn't have enough EPS connectors for Ryzen (i'm runing with only a 4pin).

I've decided to go with the mainstream available cases and parts that i can get my hands on without issues and waiting time. I'll be keeping crucial parts such as my GPU, SSDs and maybe CPU and RAM.

Hardware i'll keep:
Strix 2080ti OC
One 3.0 M.2 SSD and one Sata SSD

Hardware i might upgrade at the same time:
3900X to 5900X
2x8GB 3200MHz LPX kit to whatever the best 3600MHz kit is

I got two potential builds lined up:

NR200
Strix B550-I
SF750
Fuma 2
Thoughfan 12 PWM 4x

TU150
Strix B550-I
SF750
NH-D15 (i've got this in my rig rn)
Thoughfan 12 PWM 4x

If you could give me some inputs of cons and pros of boths builds, that would be nice. Price wise, it's the same really and it's just about the case and component fit. I plan to deshroud my 2080ti, that's why i got the extra fans. And the other 2 are meant for to go on the CPU cooler, for them extra °c gains.

IF i decide to swap to a 5900X, i'd like fitting ram aswell. So, my pick for now would be the BL2K8G36C16U4B 2x8GB 3600Mhz dual rank kit from Crucial. < i heard mixed stories about some people getting single rank, so give me some suggestions on other RAM abtions aswell.

These days I usually look for a less powerful CPU, since I know my usage is not that extreme. With a less powerful CPU, I can use a smaller / shorter heatsink, which then in turn will provide me some flexibility if I want to "upgrade" to an even smaller SFF case.

But yeah you may have your own reasons to use that CPU & heatsink combo, and that's totally fine.

The rest looks OK to me 👍

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
I've decided to hold of for now since we should see new stuff coming relatively soon and my current rig is... peak for another 2 years easy. I might even switch to a handheld PC when RDNA3 APU roll around.

At the time of creating this post, i was just really in the mood to swap out parts and make a new build since i wouldn't really make any losses in terms of $.