Prototype My sandwich style case out MDF (8,5L)

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
Hi fellow SFF enthusiasts

So most of you guys are aware of my first case I design and built, can be found. HERE
That project was fun, but more importantly I learnt alot.

There were a few incorrect measurement, line ups were'nt perfect etc..

This past few weeks I was jamming my AutoCad alot. After about 5 other designs, I scrapped, I settled on this.

Yes, it i wood. MDF to be exact. It's better to build like this for me until I am 100% satisfied with how things are, before submitting the design for laser cutting in aluminum.

Specs:
320x130x205 (LxWxH)
Dual slot GPU's upto 310mm long
SFX PSU (duh)
CPU coolers upto 50mm (not 100 sure on this)
Currently only supports M.2, but I'm cooking up a solution to mount a 2,5inch somewhere.
Support for a either a 120/92mm fan underneath the PSU and a 92x15 fan underneath the motherboard.

As always, criticism and comments welcome.:LOL:

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
Impressive accomplishment considering the first sketches. It's looking pretty good.

I wonder if lifting the case a few cm from the table and perforating the front panel would make a big difference in thermals once the case is sealed. Since it's currently made of wood, has it crossed your mind to make it modular and add some sort of removable front panel attachment with a couple of mounted fans? It'll be nice to see where do you take the design in the future to give it a unique style. Have you considered releasing the project files for people to tinker with them and make variations, and/or do you have mass production in mind? I'm also curious about the cost of the wooden prototype and the final aluminium cut.

diablozoll

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 24, 2020
Looks stealthy as hell, especially in black! How thick is that MDF board? Did you paint it yourself? If yes, with what?

Reactions: sohail

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
Is 3mm sturdy enough for the spine? (the one that holds the MB ang GPU) I'm wondering about stability of the whole thing in case of transporting - in backpack maybe...
Yes it is :) Remember that I plan to have this made in aluminium, so 3mm should be more than strong enough.

Have been thinking of trying to fit a 120 and 240mm in the case by extending the bottom a few centimeters for a res (upto 30mm + 25 mm fan) at the bottom of the case. But this is still in sketching phase.

diablozoll

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 24, 2020
Yes it is :) Remember that I plan to have this made in aluminium, so 3mm should be more than strong enough.

Have been thinking of trying to fit a 120 and 240mm in the case by extending the bottom a few centimeters for a res (upto 30mm + 25 mm fan) at the bottom of the case. But this is still in sketching phase.
Hmm, wouldn't it be a bit too heavy? ? I don't know, atm I have a Kolink Rocket case, it is made of 1.2mm aluminium panels and it is like 3kg, just the case alone. And I often throw the PC in a backpack and go.

Anyway, that exactly what I'm trying to achieve - a 240mm radiator with CPU+GPU custom loop. Initially I wanted t do it from some kind of plastic, but there are just so many arguments against it from what I're read, that I started looking for something else. That's when I found your build :)
Here are some pictures:

9.4 L for custom loop