A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
1658572401980.png

The dual black ridge doesnt have liquid metal.

I dont know the quality of these heatpipes also. have to cut one.

fo for the highest quality heatpipe i need to pay up to $30 each instad of $6 each

Last edited:

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
1658583002883.png

something is not right... might be the use of liquid metal and bad soldering on the COU block and 2nd rad. te,ps should have beem closer to 80c with the industrial fan on the 2nd rad

• Sad
Reactions: NinoPecorino

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
So when the new heatpipes are re inserted, is that where you are using liquid metal to try to get them to conduct heat to the fins, as a replacement for the solder right?

Edit: also, any concerns of the liquid metal particles dropping onto the board?

Last edited:

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
So when the new heatpipes are re inserted, is that where you are using liquid metal to try to get them to conduct heat to the fins, as a replacement for the solder right?

Edit: also, any concerns of the liquid metal particles dropping onto the board?
I used solder like they did with it originally

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Did you use regular tin solder? Afaik, soldering aluminum requires special solder and techniques. Regular solder doesn't bond to aluminum.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Did you use regular tin solder? Afaik, soldering aluminum requires special solder and techniques. Regular solder doesn't bond to aluminum.
That's what I need help with. First i learned that my block to heatpipe soldering was trash. Then this:

I need help finding the correct solder, as you can see my solder is full and the black ridge solder is shiny

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It technically can bond, but to do so it requires the oxide layer on the aluminium to be broken through, which requires a really strong (acidic, I think?) flux, abrasion (without exposure to air) or both. It can be done, but only under very favorable conditions. The more made for purpose solders and fluxes do this job much better than ordinary electronics solder.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
this is so much fun to follow. you should make a video of the process.
I don't have the personality for it, Or the thought process to make everything in order. You should see what i have done to my motorcycle. Right now I'm waiting for parts for the case and this cooler and it's getting pretty boring. You should see my military awards for my little ass corporal self, puts a lot of higher ranks to shame.

I just got the steam deck pre order and I'm going to make a better cooling solution that LTT made

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I don't have the personality for it, Or the thought process to make everything in order. You should see what i have done to my motorcycle. Right now I'm waiting for parts for the case and this cooler and it's getting pretty boring. You should see my military awards for my little ass corporal self, puts a lot of higher ranks to shame.

I just got the steam deck pre order and I'm going to make a better cooling solution that LTT made
well maybe you should be doing production or consulting for something like ltt

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, there's so much room on the back there, I don't understand why they didn't use a larger, flatter heatsink instead. Looking forward to seeing your take on it!

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Yeah, there's so much room on the back there, I don't understand why they didn't use a larger, flatter heatsink instead. Looking forward to seeing your take on it!
I'm probably going to add another fin stack on top of the one installed. And make everything symmetrical. Maybe hands a heatpipe depending on the space between the backplate and the OG heatpipe. I was able to order a second spare backplate from ifixit 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know somewhere where i can find a website that tells me the specs of laptop fans without individually looking at datas heets?