Idea Help, Black Ridge or similar cooler but extended

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
This kind of stuff is why I frequent the forum.
I have done custom noctua fan adapters for other GPUs lol. But that requires the person to have a good understanding of reading vernier calipers. The result was one hole being slightly offset.

If i had more GPUs (even broken ones) i could most likely design 4 liter cases.

I can currently design a 3.5 liter case but only the NH-L9A/I can be used and Custom GPU adapters because the OEM manufacturer specifications for the mounting brackets waste too much space (which is the reason why i had to make a custom adapters for my Zotac 2070 and 3070)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm probably going to add another fin stack on top of the one installed. And make everything symmetrical. Maybe hands a heatpipe depending on the space between the backplate and the OG heatpipe. I was able to order a second spare backplate from ifixit 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know somewhere where i can find a website that tells me the specs of laptop fans without individually looking at datas heets?
My thinking would essentially be to stick something like this

onto the back between the handholds, ensuring that it contacts the heatpipe and RF shield while still allowing for the fan to take in air. Ideally with a heatpipe along the bottom to spread the heat out, and with a nice, snug cutout in the back for fitment.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
I have done custom noctua fan adapters for other GPUs lol. But that requires the person to have a good understanding of reading vernier calipers. The result was one hole being slightly offset.

My thinking would essentially be to stick something like this

onto the back between the handholds, ensuring that it contacts the heatpipe and RF shield while still allowing for the fan to take in air. Ideally with a heatpipe along the bottom to spread the heat out, and with a nice, snug cutout in the back for fitment.
Need one with a heat pipe or at minimum copper. I do not prefer aluminum.

Edit: but yet again something like that will be the most symmetrical. Yet again i would like to have a big thick boy blower fan to blow on to two fin stacks I'll make a separate thread for the steam deck

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Need one with a heat pipe or at minimum copper. I do not prefer aluminum.

Edit: but yet again something like that will be the most symmetrical. Yet again i would like to have a big thick boy blower fan to blow on to two fin stacks I'll make a separate thread for the steam deck
Yeah, my thinking is mainly driven by wanting the concept to be well integrated and streamlined, which makes a relatively slim, black heatsink the best option, and for heatsinks like this, aluminium is really the only game in town unless I were to get it custom milled, which ... yeah, no thanks. That'd likely cost more than the SD XD If I were to make it a reality (which I won't, as I passed on my SD preorder for now) I would probably mill a groove in the back of the heatsink for a heatpipe and have it go across the SoC area - and overall make sure it was both well in contact with the RF shield and well insulated from the battery. And most likely I'd just stick with convection, or add an optional magnetically attached fan. But your idea sounds interesting - looking forward to seeing it come to life :)

haunting

Cable Smoosher
Jan 2, 2020
Really interesting experiment, any updates? The structure of your case is similar enough to the S4M I might explore doing a similar mod