Idea Help, Black Ridge or similar cooler but extended

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
So with me not wanting to increase my case size to watercool. Is there somewhere i can find heatsink fins like the Black Ridge but instead of it being 120*120mm it will be 120*240mm.

The closest thing i have found is the rajintech GPU coolers. But i need the space between the block and fins to be at least 15mm to fish a 92mm fan.

1656058371984.png

Reactions: batterybull and Vir

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Or worsy case scenario, what's the best pay to raise a GPU cooler instead of using a thick copper shim

Edit: the closest i found to an easily modified GPU coolers is the Thermalright T-RAD2 and Prolimatech MK-13 , but i can't find them to buy

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

Accelero Twin Turbo III​

EOL

Max. Cooling Capacity: 250 Watts
Heatsink size: 230 x 112 x 31 mm

The 15mm space may be there, hard to tell:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Or worsy case scenario, what's the best pay to raise a GPU cooler instead of using a thick copper shim

Edit: the closest i found to an easily modified GPU coolers is the Thermalright T-RAD2 and Prolimatech MK-13 , but i can't find them to buy
i've been looking for a t-rad2 for forever and haven't seen one for sale in time to get it. i have a thermalright shaman that could maybe fit an arctic p14 slim under the fins, with some minor modifications.

Reactions: AURMEND

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
i've been looking for a t-rad2 for forever and haven't seen one for sale in time to get it. i have a thermalright shaman that could maybe fit an arctic p14 slim under the fins, with some minor modifications.
Well it looks like i should order a shaman and mod it. Or a thermalright axp-200r

Edit: i can't find a shaman in stock either

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Deepcool v6000 is another one And you can buy it!!!

Edit: wait... No add to card button
the v6000 is on my list as well, but i haven't seen one available in years. there's a shaman for sale on mercari for about 50usd. you're not in america, are you?

edit: you might want to email moddiy about whether the v6000 is actually in stock. mironet, a czech retailer, also has the v6000 in stock. you can also get the deepcool dracula for cheaper.

Last edited:

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Just learned that my hot plate can melt the solder off of a recalled Black Ridge, so i ordered some heatpipes and low temp solder just in case i decide to extend the black ridge cooler.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
are you gonna make a double blackridge??
yes my dude yes, heatpipe bender has been designed also and its 3D printing right now. Luckily theres only three different heatpipe heights instead of 6

edit: I'll decide if i'm going to do it once the new case and heatpipes come in. i dont know if the gpu will clear. i messed up this black ridge by trying to lower it by 5mm and accidentally kinked two heatpipes. Parts alone would make this mod cost $200 alone.

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
yes my dude yes, heatpipe bender has been designed also and its 3D printing right now. Luckily theres only three different heatpipe heights instead of 6

edit: I'll decide if i'm going to do it once the new case and heatpipes come in. i dont know if the gpu will clear. i messed up this black ridge by trying to lower it by 5mm and accidentally kinked two heatpipes. Parts alone would make this mod cost $200 alone.
damn that's an expensive mod. i'd love to see it though. kinda reminds me of this crazy mod.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
IMG_07072022_175025_(1500_x_1125_pixel).jpg
And the pipe bender works. Left is the pipe i re-bent. It a little crooked because it wasn't a straight heat pipe to start. It really does look like this can work.

link to bender this will drop the black ridge from 47mm to around 42mm.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
1657737860746.png
how would you gus cool a double black ridge cpu cooler, i have an area of 15mm depth 60mm wide and 110mm inn length towards the front panel. im thinking about some dual 50mm blower fans towards the cooler. it wont provide much cooling but im hoping for some more thermall mass and passive cooling on the second set of the black ridge cooler.

edit: and yeah thats the 3.97 liter case.

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
View attachment 1924
how would you gus cool a double black ridge cpu cooler, i have an area of 15mm depth 60mm wide and 110mm inn length towards the front panel. im thinking about some dual 50mm blower fans towards the cooler. it wont provide much cooling but im hoping for some more thermall mass and passive cooling on the second set of the black ridge cooler.

how much space is available above the blackridge? is it right against the case?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
View attachment 1924

Is the second fin stack touching the GPU backplate, or is there a gap? If there is, I would agree with putting some blower fans there + ducting them to get air in underneath the fin stack. The sides of the BR are pinched shut, right?

Also, when looking for blower fans I would probably start with looking at newer laptop fans rather than more generic blowers, as they are often quieter (at least the good ones) and might come with a somewhat usable baffle already. Could be a good idea to skim some laptop reviews looking for fan noise, and eyeball some measurements from photos. Notebookcheck.net. always do both noise testing and internal photos, if you're interested in going that route.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Is the second fin stack touching the GPU backplate, or is there a gap? If there is, I would agree with putting some blower fans there + ducting them to get air in underneath the fin stack. The sides of the BR are pinched shut, right?

Also, when looking for blower fans I would probably start with looking at newer laptop fans rather than more generic blowers, as they are often quieter (at least the good ones) and might come with a somewhat usable baffle already. Could be a good idea to skim some laptop reviews looking for fan noise, and eyeball some measurements from photos. Notebookcheck.net. always do both noise testing and internal photos, if you're interested in going that route.
It's probably going to touch. Looks like i can use up to 55mm fans

Reactions: Valantar