Cooling ID-Cooling IS-47K 47mm 6-heatpipe cooler with 92x15mm fan - Black Ridge alternative?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I think we have the answer ladies and gentleman - stock mount fails, Noctua mounting kit FTW

Wraith Stealth
3.7 @ 1.2v: 31 degrees idle and 74 degrees stressed
3.8 @ 1.35v: throttles at 100 degrees

IS-47K with Stock Mount
3.7 @ 1.2v: 40 degrees idle and 79 degrees stressed
3.9 @ 1.35v: 40 degrees idle and 90 degrees stressed

IS-47K with Noctua Backplate
3.7 @ 1.2v: 30 degrees idle and 65 degrees stressed
3.9 @ 1.35v: 30 degrees idle and 82 degrees stressed

EDIT: @Thehack can you get in touch with ID-Cooling to verify this also pls?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think we have the answer ladies and gentleman - stock mount fails, Noctua mounting kit FTW

Wraith Stealth

IS-47K with Stock Mount

Wow.

JohnCA

Average Stuffer
Dec 2, 2018

Wraith Stealth

IS-47K with Stock Mount

This is great, thanks for the tests.
If the issue is on the mount, then that's not as bad as having a defect on the heatsink itself.
Can others try the same and post the results here? Some comparisons with the C7 and similar spec cpu coolers would be nice too...

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018

Wraith Stealth

IS-47K with Stock Mount

Great find - thanks for testing that.

For us intel users what would you recommend, as the Intel SecurFirm mount has screws that go through from behind rather than just a backplate with holes...

Would any backplate work as long as it's adding that extra tension to the cooler?

EDIT: Nevermind, hoarder me to the rescue! Found an old Noctua mounting kit from like 5 years ago in a draw with a backplate that will work a treat haha

Another question, what fan orientation were you using to get those results?

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

For us intel users what would you recommend, as the Intel SecurFirm mount has screws that go through from behind rather than just a backplate with holes...

Would any backplate work as long as it's adding that extra tension to the cooler?

EDIT: Nevermind, hoarder me to the rescue! Found an old Noctua mounting kit from like 5 years ago in a draw with a backplate that will work a treat haha

the question should be directed at @LeveragedSeIIout , I'm just happy to share his post from Reddit to unlock our brains haha

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Wondering if my corsair h60 Intel backplate could be used? Was planning on getting a Velka 7 which can't fit an AIO.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
So a word of warning for Intel users - the included screws are too short to use with a backplate.

Running some more tests and open air with the fan set to intake it's doing a lot better with my i9 idling at around 30-35 across all 10 cores and load peaking at 75 - which is what I was originally expecting. This is using a Noctua NF-A9x14.

I'll update this post in a little bit after I've reassembled my system to see if being IN the Velka 5 is causing the temperatures to spike so far.

EDIT: Well so far so good - actually getting pretty similar temps inside the case with about a 4-5 degree increase compared to open air but still seeing a maximum temp of 80 degrees which is pretty good for a 10 core - besides reversing the fan as intake I can't quite determine what else I've done this time around that's resulting in the better temps since the backplate didn't work.

Actually that's not true, I think I've worked it out now and it was due to my power supply. I was running a 450W passive PSU that sat directly below the motherboard so I think that was playing a big part in transferring very hot air into the CPU cooler and causing it to continue to climb.
I've now got a Corsair SF600 in there which may be a big factor in my more in control temperatures.

Last edited:

xkruz

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2020
Hello All, I just want to share my test result and compared is47k with black ridge

This is using open test bench with this spec:
AMD R3 3300x stock / Intel i5 8600k OC 4.8ghz
B550i Aorus ITX / Z390 PG ITX
Ddr4 VLP 16gb
Corsair hx850 PSU
GTX 1650 super / Intel onboard
Fan changed to Noctua Nfa9x14 2500rpm set at 100%
Both fan act as intake (wind blows to motherboard)

Testing method cinebench r20 15min run

So after reading from this thread I thought backplate was needed and I don't have noctua backplate so I modified the AM4 stock backplate

Then I run some test to verify the stock mount vs with backplate

The backplate only reduce temp by 1°C
I'm thinking this is because @LeveragedSeIIout uses b450 and pcb bending is more likely on cheaper board. And I don't see any bending with stock mount on my b550 aorus itx.
I've tested is47k with and without backplate on asrock b550 itx with ryzen 5 3600 too, and the there is no difference in temp

And I compared it to my Black Ridge using same fan

And I was suprised by the performance of is47k!
Is47k stable at 77°C
Black Ridge Stable at 74°C

And then I compared both on intel platform

The temps were hovering around 82-83° and sometimes spikes to 84° for BOTH COOLERs

And for compatibility I can't use nvme heatsink on b550 aorus and z390 asrock with is47k. BUT is47k will allow taller RAM.
With Black Ridge I can still use the nvme heat sink, but the RAM are limited to low profile.

So I think is47k are one of the best price/performance cooler under 50mm.

I hope my test can help someone somewhere

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah I've found since rebuilding and changing fan layouts even after 6 hour gaming sessions my temps on my 10900F never exceed 80 C and that's only on one or two cores, most never exceed high 70's.

Still trying to find a perfect fan curve on it, because the fan is set to intake there's a bit of turbulence from it being so close to the fun array, but it's still not too bad.

CountBy5

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 28, 2020

Which Noctua backplate did you end up using?