Motherboard i7 8700 with 64gb RAM on ITX?

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
It seems this doesn't exist, but is there a motherboard support

8700 cpu (with or without k)
64gb ram

mini ITX (or thin, or STX, or anything tiny).

The closest I've found is ASRock Rack, but it only supports Xeons which AFAIK have less clock and a little higher heat (older CPUs).

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...ni-itx-lga2011-3-narrow-motherboard-epc612d4i

Maybe something will come out soon? Best to wait for 10nm?

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
do non-ECC 32GB sticks exist? o_o I feel like that's the easier thing to change rather than to wait for a manufacturer to slap four SODIMM slots on an ITX board for a dual-channel system

Reactions: Biowarejak

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
do non-ECC 32GB sticks exist? o_o I feel like that's the easier thing to change rather than to wait for a manufacturer to slap four SODIMM slots on an ITX board for a dual-channel system
Yes, even 64GB and 128GB exist.

As for motherboards, all z370 mini itx boards support only 32GB ram according to their specsheet, though I did notice that this site claims that the MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC supports up to 62.5GB of memory, not sure if that's correct though.

EDIT: So apparently, the first two were ECC and the last one is load reduced memory which also wont work on a consumer platform.

I did find this 32GB DDR3 module which seem to be non-ECC, but that wont be compatible with z370 either.

You could go the x299 route, but it's a lot more expensive.

Last edited:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The Supermicro X11SDV family supports 512GB LRDRIMM but 128GB sticks are hideously expensive so if you manage to live with just 256GB somehow then you can have that in ITX form for the low, low price of 3157 USD... Twenty years ago, wasn't even long ago, the largest HDD money could buy was less than a tenth of that and this is memory.

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
You can use xeon tho. There must be a xeon equivalent to 8700. It should be exactly the same just with ecc support which would allow you to go nuts with the memory

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
they were originally going to do this

I don't understand why they even bother with these retarded designs. we have large enough memory dies to achieve 32gb non ecc sticks for a long time now. Heck, even a store on ebay made their own 32gb non-ecc ddr4 sodimm.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
You can use xeon tho. There must be a xeon equivalent to 8700. It should be exactly the same just with ecc support which would allow you to go nuts with the memory

The Xeon E3 equivalent of i5/i7 support UDIMM ECC but not RDIMM/LRDIMM ECC which is where the big sticks are.
I don't understand why they even bother with these retarded designs. we have large enough memory dies to achieve 32gb non ecc sticks for a long time now. Heck, even a store on ebay made their own 32gb non-ecc ddr4 sodimm.

And ECC too. mem-store

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
The Xeon E3 equivalent of i5/i7 support UDIMM ECC but not RDIMM/LRDIMM ECC which is where the big sticks are.

And ECC too. mem-store
no they're not ecc. the chips on them are support ecc but the memory sticks are not ecc. look at their compatibility list. It's for core series processors