Hutzy HS: Top-End GPU Gaming Case under 5L (formerly HASSIUM)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Yes I understood that, but I was talking about the height of the card, not the length. The ASUS 970 Mini is oversized in terms of height just like the Gigabyte one. The only Mini 970 I know of that doesn't seem to be higher than standard is the Inno3D GTX 970 Combat, but I've never seen anyone use that model. There's also the GALAX 970 GAMER OC, but that one's 180mm long, not 170mm.

So, if the ASUS card fits with the power connectors, then you're probably covered for most ITX GPUs.

Oh I see what you mean now. It completely escaped my mind that ITX cards also ride the trend of oversized height.

I think the Inno3D is indeed the only one that fits. I was sizing the case for R9 Nano, so I did not really take the time to look at the 970s. Thanks!

Reactions: iFreilicht

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Hey guys, some news on Leap Day!

Update #1: New Design for the next Prototype

Gathering the feedback from the initial responses, I noticed 3 main things that stuck out as issues:
1) Limited vent holes on the side, no vent hole on top
2) Power button on the bottom
3) Structural weakness

I decided to spend some time to do a redesign with these things taken into consideration, and I am happy to reveal the result of your input! (Sketchup pics for now, fancy Solidworks renders to follow later)

Few quick notes about the new design:
- It will be 2-tone, with some parts in clear/light gray aluminum, and some parts in black/dark gray aluminum
- Flanges added to structurally weak spots to greatly increase strength
- Power button in the front
- Opened up more vents on each side, and added vents on top

---

Update #2: Acrylic middleboard replaced with custom 3D printed middle board

What used to hold the mobo in place was a piece of acrylic and 3 angle brackets. Which made for a very clunky usability, and non-scalable production piece.

I have since designed and 3D printed a plastic middleboard to replace it.

More good news: because it's 3D printed, it doesn't need to be flat.
I can embed nut slots into the board, making all nuts and bolts fasten much tighter onto the board.
I can even create a sunken rail for the PCIE extension cable to fit tightly into!

I have it in my prototype right now, and I have been running my machine to its max heat generation to test the plastic's resilience to the heat generated.

---

Update #3: A new challenger appears: The sub-4L case

This is an idea that came about while I was revisiting the design of Hassium, and I worked on it alongside the redesign. The new Hassium design actually borrowed a lot of elements from when I worked on the XS.

The XS is a minimized version of my initial Hassium. And instead of fitting the top-end GPUs, it focuses on meeting VR glasses specifications in as tight of a size as possible.

In the next few days, I will create a new thread detailing what exactly the XS is, what the specs are, etc.

Here's a preview of a super early prototype of XS (on the left):

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Amazing how 3D printers have evolved to be able to do this. Well done, keep it up !

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Leap day update!

Hahutzy, it took me a minute to figure out where your update was posted. Perhaps you could indicate more explicitly where the update is if you're going to continue to do that? And also include a link to the updated post?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Very cool update! Excited to see the Hutzi XS but I'm pretty sure I already know what it is :p

I'm very jealous of how fast you can prototype, keep up the good work!

Reactions: Hahutzy

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Hahutzy, it took me a minute to figure out where your update was posted. Perhaps you could indicate more explicitly where the update is if you're going to continue to do that? And also include a link to the updated post?

Thanks for the advice.

Moving forward I will post the update as the latest post, as well as update the front post with the same content.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz