Hutzy HS: Top-End GPU Gaming Case under 5L (formerly HASSIUM)

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
It was a i5-4440s, 65W.

I plan to recommend 65W TDP cpus, because all non-K Skylake cpus are rated 65W or under.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yes that might be a good idea, but I would recommend testing with higher TDP CPUs as well, if only to prove your design to the public. Personally, I want a case to just work with as many components as possible, even if that means I have to sacrifice a little bit of size or aesthetics.
Not everyone's sharing that opinion, but I feel that if you're not doing that you always risk people buying your case and then complaining (or worse yet, spamming you) about stuff not fitting. The best customer service is to prevent customer service from being required.

Reactions: BirdofPrey

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
The issue with trying cpus with a higher TDP than 65W is that at that point, I am not only testing the capabilities of my case, but also the capabilities of the Noctua L9i (which is the best cooler for HASSIUM's clearance).

Because the Noctua adds a lot of caveats and cautions when used with cpus higher than 65W.
http://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

Reactions: iFreilicht

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Yes that might be a good idea, but I would recommend testing with higher TDP CPUs as well, if only to prove your design to the public. Personally, I want a case to just work with as many components as possible, even if that means I have to sacrifice a little bit of size or aesthetics.
Not everyone's sharing that opinion, but I feel that if you're not doing that you always risk people buying your case and then complaining (or worse yet, spamming you) about stuff not fitting. The best customer service is to prevent customer service from being required.
I tend to share that opinion as well.

If you are designing a case for a specific set of components with no plans to really upgrade it, then you can design EXACTLY for those components and get the real slim sizes, but if you plan on making a general purpose case to fit whatever, especially if you want to market it, it helps to make it fit as varied a setup as possible.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd suggest testing with a higher-wattage part if you can. If you elect not to do so, you basically have to assume (and inform end users) that parts above 65W aren't feasible, which may or may not be the case... So there's plenty of potential upside (and no real downside, beyond cost) to discovering how well >65W chips perform.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Although I'm really having trouble figuring out where I can move the power button without an overhaul to the layout.
Gordian solution: no power button. Put a capacitive sensor behind the from aluminium plate and use that as the power switch. Modern capcative sensors have no issues detecting input through aluminium. The downside is while chips to do exactly this are cheap commodity parts, I'm not sure is there are existing modules to do this in a low form-factor (meaning you would need to have a short run of small PCBs fabbed and populated).

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
That seems like a large expense for something that isn't likely to see all that high of sales volume.
The making part of the front panel the button seems more feasible to me.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm still waiting for my keyboard to have an ON/OFF button, along with an ODD eject button. Along with offloading some USB ports and audio to that keyboard, the SFF community can finally do without front I/O ! #progress

Reactions: Blorgon

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'm certain, if you check ebay, you can find one of those old 90s pizzabox macs and an apple desktop bus keyboard and mouse. :p

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
I switched from a 16mm antivandal button to a 12mm one, and it looks like it'll fit in the back.

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Updated the front page with some pics of the 3D printed prototypes I made. Long story short, trying to get the dimensions and the structure/layout of the case just right. Also considering a 4L case for ITX-class cards like R9 Nano.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The 4L case looks quite nice, I really like the layout of that. You have to think about the fact that ITX GPUs are often oversized, though, so you'll need a bit more space for the PEG connectors.

Was the prototype printed as a single piece?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Nope, the middle board is its own separate piece, and the core consists of the front, back, and bottom face.

Yea the only (good) GPUs that I'm confident will fit there is the ASUS 970, and the R9 Nano

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It looks like you just took the design meant for sheet metal and printed it, how's the strength of the printed chassis?

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Sep 9, 2015
Well if the ASUS actually fits then most other cards should fit as well, shouldn't they?

Sorry I meant the ASUS 970 Mini, which is just the length of the ITX board. The Gigabyte 970 came close, but actually protrudes beyond the board.

It looks like you just took the design meant for sheet metal and printed it, how's the strength of the printed chassis?

It is designed for sheet metal because the final product will be made from sheet metal. I went the 3D printer route for layout/structure tests because the prototyping cost is much lower than getting a prototype from a metal fabricator. Now I can do mundane things like shift a screw hole 5mm one way, without burning through my wallet.

For this prototype, I was testing those side flaps to add strength to the front/back plate, because people had (valid) concerns that the back plate was structurally weak.

The printed chassis is strong enough to work in and install components without having to treat it as fragile. I wouldn't toss it around though.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sorry I meant the ASUS 970 Mini, which is just the length of the ITX board. The Gigabyte 970 came close, but actually protrudes beyond the board.

Yes I understood that, but I was talking about the height of the card, not the length. The ASUS 970 Mini is oversized in terms of height just like the Gigabyte one. The only Mini 970 I know of that doesn't seem to be higher than standard is the Inno3D GTX 970 Combat, but I've never seen anyone use that model. There's also the GALAX 970 GAMER OC, but that one's 180mm long, not 170mm.

So, if the ASUS card fits with the power connectors, then you're probably covered for most ITX GPUs.