Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
While originally designed for just the Sapphire FS-FP5V, this case now works with and is intended for any STX board, but has been designed with Asrock's A300 STX in mind.

And we're calling it.........
HTPC Micro.

A 1.66L case designed to be used with an HDPlex 80w AC-DC for a brickless HTPC/Office PC.

Supports:
Any standard STX board (NOT the version with MXM)
A single HDPlex 80W AC-DC internal converter (included C8 connector)
A 16MM power switch

So, I got stuff from protocase!

It looks great for a first try!

Once I get the prototype, I'll show more.

Thanks, Windfall

Last edited:

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I followed your HTPC project and the discussion about the Sapphire 5x5 board. I really liked the idea and started my own inquiries on these boards. Right now I'm awaiting answers from axiomtek and ibase, because I liked the layout of these boards more (though to be fair, these are 17x17cm). Perhaps this is of interest for you too?

What materials do you want to use for the case? Will you use the standard cooler/fan or will you customize?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I followed your HTPC project and the discussion about the Sapphire 5x5 board. I really liked the idea and started my own inquiries on these boards. Right now I'm awaiting answers from axiomtek and ibase, because I liked the layout of these boards more (though to be fair, these are 17x17cm). Perhaps this is of interest for you too?

What materials do you want to use for the case? Will you use the standard cooler/fan or will you customize?

Those are neat boards, but AM4 STX would make this project SO much more. I'd like to redo the HTPC One with AM4 STX. @ASRock System Come on AM4 STX PLEASE.

That's the standard cooler and fan.

Almost 2MM aluminum. I like a brick for a case.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
You should consider making a custom case for the UDOO Bolt as it had tons of backers and support. I unfortunately could not get in on a pre-order. But you already have a potential market base for AM4 STX right there!

I realized I personally wanted smaller.

I know what you mean. I still would like to get a mini console build again for the living room.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
You should consider making a custom case for the UDOO Bolt as it had tons of backers and support. I unfortunately could not get in on a pre-order. But you already have a potential market base for AM4 STX right there!

I know what you mean. I still would like to get a mini console build again for the living room.

is the bolt smaller? I'll look into it.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's 12cm by 12cm so it shares the same dimensions as Nano-ITX. It's like this board. I'm just eyeballing it here, but the standoff holes appear to be in the same relative positions too.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I want this to support AM4 STX too though. If I add a bit of height and an IO cutout, I should be set for low power AM4 stx htpcs.

buzzyc

Case Bender
Sep 8, 2018
Wondering if I'm missing something.
The Sapphire board 4pin PSU connector is 12V, but the HDPlex 80W outputs 19V
Will you be utilising the barrel jack, or dropping the output voltage on the HDPlex?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Wondering if I'm missing something.
The Sapphire board 4pin PSU connector is 12V, but the HDPlex 80W outputs 19V
Will you be utilising the barrel jack, or dropping the output voltage on the HDPlex?

I discussed this with two people. A sales rep and a engineer who worked on this. The engineer says that the 4-pin and the dc barrel jack are connected to the same circuit. He says the circut was designed to take 12-19v.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Once the 3D printer at school starts working, I'll have a prototype. Also, the HDplex 80W came. Still waiting on the order from mod-one.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@confusis Could this be moved back to Custom Cases and Projects? The first prototype is 12 hours from completion (ish) and I have all the parts for a test fit.

This is now officially in the Prototyping stage.

EDIT: Thanks, confusis! You da man!

Last edited: