How to update the BIOS on MSI b450i without CPU?

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
So i bought a ryzen 3600 and a msi b450i. But how the hell do i update the bios from usb?
tried to boot it without a CPU, don't boot from what i see at least. CPU LED light up on MB. Screen dont react.
Then I put in CPU,RAM, then it complains about the CPU and VGA LED, toggles in between. Screen dotn react.
Not sure if its something with my screen, that I dont see anything? Do i Need the GPU to get a picture to see the BIOS?

How did you do it?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You can't do it without a CPU, none of the 400 series AMD itx boards have BIOS flashback. You will need a Ryzen 2, I bought a cheap Athlon 200GE and used that.

titan253

Cable Smoosher
Sep 3, 2019
as rfarmer said, you need a CPU no avoiding that, unless you return that motherboard and try to find one that has the Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on it which means it's already updated. You can also take the board to a Fry's or Microcenter (or a similar PC parts store if you're outside the US)

Second, yes you need a GPU as the 3600 does not have onboard graphics so it has no way to send a video signal through the motherboard's video ports.

Good luck!

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
So i bought a ryzen 3600 and a msi b450i. But how the hell do i update the bios from usb?
tried to boot it without a CPU, don't boot from what i see at least. CPU LED light up on MB. Screen dont react.
Then I put in CPU,RAM, then it complains about the CPU and VGA LED, toggles in between. Screen dotn react.
Not sure if its something with my screen, that I dont see anything? Do i Need the GPU to get a picture to see the BIOS?

How did you do it?
If you're not in a hurry you can get a loaner 200GE from AMD

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
as rfarmer said, you need a CPU no avoiding that, unless you return that motherboard and try to find one that has the Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on it which means it's already updated. You can also take the board to a Fry's or Microcenter (or a similar PC parts store if you're outside the US)

Second, yes you need a GPU as the 3600 does not have onboard graphics so it has no way to send a video signal through the motherboard's video ports.

Good luck!
Thanks guys!

Reactions: CountNoctua