How to pack SFF PC for travel

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Greetings!

I have plans to build a Mini-ITX PC in a SXM stl 6.3L (260mm x 130mm x 187mm) case ( https://www.custmod.com/stranica-tovara/sxm-stl-6-3l-bh-1?lang=en ) instead of getting a laptop for better performance and longevity, will be much cheaper as well.

Have a question about how some people that use a small PC travel with it. Used the search to find any info here but found no specific answers I was hoping for.

- Do you pack the PC in a specific way? Do you use any anti-static materials, something for cushioning perhaps?
- In what bag/backpack do you prefer to carry it?
- Along with other of your belongings or in a separate backpack?
- Do you take anything out of PC beforehand?

Any other tips and advices are appreciated as well.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I traveled with my modded Optiplex 990 recently, and actually had to pack it in checked luggage due to space constraints (in a small suitcase one way, in a large wheeled duffel the other). I just strapped it down tightly inside the suitcase and wrapped it up in clothes and other stuff. Turned out fine, everything arrived in perfect working order, but of course i checked that nothing had come loose (RAM, PCIe slot, power cabling) before powering it on. I would say the key is two things: padding and secure mounting. Padding is to avoid things being crushed/dented/etc., secure mounting is to ensure that the PC doesn't come loose as the case is jostled and get damaged due to that. And of course don't check the PC unless you feel sure it won't be stolen and trust that it won't get damaged. Traveling with it as hand luggage should not be a problem.

Reactions: Choidebu

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I usually put my pc in a travel suitcase that is small enough as a hand-carry, which usually have clothes in them that I don't worry about padding.

Checked them once the same way, nothing damaged.

It does fit in my backpack, and if I had some hard objects in them I wrap it in a towel.

In short I'm more worried of scratches than anything came loose or bent or whatever.

For your case, everything looks snug and screwed together well, but if you travel enough a little foam to keep the gpu in place might be a wise addition.

Vardas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Thanks everyone for your replies. You gave me more confidence in building a portable SFF rather than getting a laptop for sure. Now it's the matter of getting a decent backpack to keep it in with me at all times during travel. I'll post an update when if I succeed with this.