Hiding External Adapters

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
How do you guys stow away your power adapters? Can you use 3M adhesive to mount a large power brick (such as the Dell DA330PM111 330W) to the underside of a desk ? What other ways could you mount/hide them?

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I reckon with good adhesive tape you should be good. I've used velcro to mount pretty large power strips under desks. Granted, power strips are often lighter/less dense than power supplies...

If you're worried about your adhesive getting a little warm or just not being strong enough, it's possible you could rig up a mounting system, we have power strips that mount to rolling stands that slot over four shouldered screws--possible some power bricks have similar holes in them.

Edit: There's also cable management trays which, even if they don't actually fit your power brick, they might be sturdy enough (i.e. affixed with screws) to let the power supply hang off and be supported by the cable, if you're comfortable with that. Responsible or not, I've done similar stuff before.

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
I would personally get screw on anchor points for cable ties and/or velcro strips, screw it on under the desk. with the velcro you'd get easy access to the brick.
Previously I've used a simple set of screws with cable tie suspension for a brick.
_
I suppose some adhesive and a set of magnets would be a neat solution for the daring ones!
_
3M certainly has suitable adhesive tape for the application, except you still should use a medium in between the tapes for easy access, like ANCHOR POINTS for VELCRO STRIPS! :D Very viable solution if you're not up to drilling a desk and prefer other things to drill.:oops:
_
Cable management trays also exist like our boy @zovc mentioned, perfect for making your own snakes nest!
This also includes cable management webbing.
Putting the brick in a loop of other anchored cables may work..:confused:
_

A lot of what you can do or should do depends on your desk, on your environment, your living situations etc.:)

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
BlueLounge is probably not the only place that sells cable management (they have some other stuff, too) gear, but they have the Soba, which allows you to shove multiple wires into one sleeve and can do a lot for saving face. My only gripe, having used Soba before is that (like many braided cable-type things), when you cut it it frays. I haven't tried taking a lighter to it to see if that helps it cinch back up like a lot of nylon based stuff will, and it's something that will be out-of-the-way in most cases, but it just didn't feel very 'premium' to have to deal with that.

I almost bought from their site and ended up finding a lot of stuff 50% off on Amazon sold by them, so definitely shop around if you're getting their stuff in particular.

If the fraying bothers you and a lighter/heat gun doesn't fix it, there's probably some sort of grommet you could get to cover it up.

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
BlueLounge is probably not the only place that sells cable management (they have some other stuff, too) gear, but they have the Soba, which allows you to shove multiple wires into one sleeve and can do a lot for saving face. My only gripe, having used Soba before is that (like many braided cable-type things), when you cut it it frays. I haven't tried taking a lighter to it to see if that helps it cinch back up like a lot of nylon based stuff will, and it's something that will be out-of-the-way in most cases, but it just didn't feel very 'premium' to have to deal with that.

I almost bought from their site and ended up finding a lot of stuff 50% off on Amazon sold by them, so definitely shop around if you're getting their stuff in particular.

If the fraying bothers you and a lighter/heat gun doesn't fix it, there's probably some sort of grommet you could get to cover it up.

I'm fine with having just a cheap, black cable sleeve wrap around the bundle of cables going to the rear i/o, but the Soba wire sleeve does look much nicer.

I'm planning to have a fairly mobile cable management setup to complement my S4 Mini (It'll be practical because I'll be moving around a lot in the upcoming months and into next year). I'm thinking of a quick release cable raceway or cable box and secure it with 30lb Mounting tape. A Cable sleeve would also run up to the pc, of course. I'm still debating whether i want to stick a huge power adapter to the bottom of a desk or get a rack or box the can hold it. I wont be able to screw into the desk at the places that I'm moving to.

My current cable management system is pretty messy. I use an old J Channel and stuffed it with cables. I used 3M mounting tape for the monitor's adapter and it's been holding up for 2 months now.