Discussion [HELP] Black screen and max fan speed

cobbpaull777

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2021
Hey guys, so I have been having problems with my skyreach 4 mini build for quite some time now. My screen will go black and my GPU fan speed will max out however I can still hear some audio playing. It will stay in this state until I restart the computer.

My build
CPU: i5-9600kf
CPU Cooler: Noctua LH-L9i
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Lpx 16gbddr4-2133hz
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 AERO ITX
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME PCIe m.2 2280
Power supply: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX, Dell 330W AC Adapter
Case: Skyreach 4 mini

I first started getting this problem almost the moment I built it. I couldn't figure out what it was but I disassembled to make sure all the cables and everything was in right and I still got the issue. I thought it might have been my GPU overheating but it seems to happen at low temps even around 50C. I then tried to underclock everything and the issue still occurred. So then I thought maybe The PSU just isn't powerful enough so I swapped out the 95W 9600kf for a 65W i5-9400f. Even with that CPU and putting a power limit on the GPU the issue still occurred. Then I read somewhere that someone was having the same problem and they fixed it by reapplying thermal paste to the GPU as theirs came with minimal amounts. So I did the same and I would say that there were possibly below-average amounts of thermal paste but nothing too extreme. That seemed to make the issue a little better but it stilled occurs. Now I'm starting to think again that it might be the PSU. I've heard some people say that their dell 330W AC adapter can draw up to 400W but I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with mine as I've seen people with more powerful builds than mine running with the dell external brick. At this point, I'm pretty lost on what to do just wondering if anyone had some ideas. Not issue only happens when the computer is "under load" (i put speech marks around it because the temp readings before this happens are normal and even low in some cases).

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Sounds like a bad vga. Try that 2070 on a test bench/another computer. DDU and reinstall your display drivers.

Apparently other's are having the issue. Reddit has quite a few cases as well. One person solved it by dropping the memory clock 200Mhz. I'd RMA if I were you.

Last edited:

cobbpaull777

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2021
Sounds like a bad vga. Try that 2070 on a test bench/another computer. DDU and reinstall your display drivers.

Apparently other's are having the issue. Reddit has quite a few cases as well. One person solved it by dropping the memory clock 200Mhz. I'd RMA if I were you.
Just tried doing a clean reinstall of display drivers and dropping the memory clock by 200mhz and still get the black screen. If I drop the core clock and memory clock down by around 400-500mhz each it seems to solve the issue but performance drop is also pretty significant. I might try the 2070 on another computer but I think you're right I might try and send it back.

kaefergeneral

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 11, 2021
Interesting. So far, I have only heard about this for RTX 3000 Series cards.
For myself, the GPU just died after the third crash, and I had to RMA it.
Interestingly, it only started to happen 4 months in when I started to play Valheim on it. Never before.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hey guys, so I have been having problems with my skyreach 4 mini build for quite some time now. My screen will go black and my GPU fan speed will max out however I can still hear some audio playing. It will stay in this state until I restart the computer.

My build
CPU: i5-9600kf
CPU Cooler: Noctua LH-L9i
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Lpx 16gbddr4-2133hz
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 AERO ITX
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME PCIe m.2 2280
Power supply: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX, Dell 330W AC Adapter
Case: Skyreach 4 mini

I first started getting this problem almost the moment I built it. I couldn't figure out what it was but I disassembled to make sure all the cables and everything was in right and I still got the issue. I thought it might have been my GPU overheating but it seems to happen at low temps even around 50C. I then tried to underclock everything and the issue still occurred. So then I thought maybe The PSU just isn't powerful enough so I swapped out the 95W 9600kf for a 65W i5-9400f. Even with that CPU and putting a power limit on the GPU the issue still occurred. Then I read somewhere that someone was having the same problem and they fixed it by reapplying thermal paste to the GPU as theirs came with minimal amounts. So I did the same and I would say that there were possibly below-average amounts of thermal paste but nothing too extreme. That seemed to make the issue a little better but it stilled occurs. Now I'm starting to think again that it might be the PSU. I've heard some people say that their dell 330W AC adapter can draw up to 400W but I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with mine as I've seen people with more powerful builds than mine running with the dell external brick. At this point, I'm pretty lost on what to do just wondering if anyone had some ideas. Not issue only happens when the computer is "under load" (i put speech marks around it because the temp readings before this happens are normal and even low in some cases).

just a very wild guess but I had a similar issue once caused by a faulty riser cable. just to rule that out you could try to plug the GPU directly into the PCIe slot and see what happens.

Reactions: tinyitx

cobbpaull777

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2021
Ok, so I've done some more troubleshooting. I put the 2070 in a different rig, and there were no issues. I also tried the card with the PCI-E riser cable on the other computer and still no problems. I haven't been able to mount the card directly into the Skyreach 4 Mini because the case gets in the way, but I don't think there's any problems with the card or riser cable. I've also tried a clean reinstall of windows on the S4M but still getting the same problem. I will try a different PSU on the S4M and see if I still get the problem.

cobbpaull777

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 6, 2021
Update. When I swap out the PSU for a more powerful 550W it seems to resolve the issue. So I think it is either the dell 330W brick or the HDplex 400W-DCATX causing the black screening.

Reactions: Phuncz