Hi~ I designed a 14.245L vertical ITX case

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It's a nice design, but the clearance for cables up top looks insufficient to me. You'll struggle to find any DP or HDMI cable thin enough and with a short enough connector to stay below your top cover without forcing it so much it might damage the cable over time. Beyond that it looks slick though!

mejobloggs

Cable Smoosher
Nov 4, 2018
It's a nice design, but the clearance for cables up top looks insufficient to me. You'll struggle to find any DP or HDMI cable thin enough and with a short enough connector to stay below your top cover without forcing it so much it might damage the cable over time. Beyond that it looks slick though!

I measured my DisplayPort connector and it's rigid for about 7cm and needs about 10cm space before the cable bend looks safe enough.

10cm gap just to fit a cable at the top seems pretty extreme. Makes vertical case design quite limited imo. If you want motherboard IO out the top or bottom then you have to have 10cm "wasted space"

I'd like to see a photo of this case with everything plugged in

iHnrA

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
I measured my DisplayPort connector and it's rigid for about 7cm and needs about 10cm space before the cable bend looks safe enough.

10cm gap just to fit a cable at the top seems pretty extreme. Makes vertical case design quite limited imo. If you want motherboard IO out the top or bottom then you have to have 10cm "wasted space"

Yes, you are right. Because of that, I think the adapter is necessary.

Reactions: andornaut

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

That does sound like it's on the longer end of DP cable designs though, there are shorter ones to be found (and angled ones like what @iHnrA posted above. The "classic" DP design is rather long, especially with the locking tab, but there are newer shorter designs to be found. But generally, yes, you need significant clearance for any case design with vertical cable routing. The NZXT H1 does a pretty good job of this wile staying compact.

mejobloggs

Cable Smoosher
Nov 4, 2018
That does sound like it's on the longer end of DP cable designs though, there are shorter ones to be found (and angled ones like what @iHnrA posted above. The "classic" DP design is rather long, especially with the locking tab, but there are newer shorter designs to be found. But generally, yes, you need significant clearance for any case design with vertical cable routing. The NZXT H1 does a pretty good job of this wile staying compact.

I couldn't find any shorter ones for sale it seems pretty standard length because of the DP locking mechanism.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I couldn't find any shorter ones for sale it seems pretty standard length because of the DP locking mechanism.
There are cables that skip the locking mechanism. This looks to be shorter, though that strain relief is quite big. This also looks a bit shorter. This looks comparable to the smallest HDMI cables I have. These look slightly shorter than the old chunky design while still having the lock. Of these I only think the third might fit in this design though, and likely not even that.

Amathophobia

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020
Reminds me of a small Cosair One. Clean design. Thought about getting it 3d printed? Could be an easy way to test.