Other Is there anyone heard about Gigabyte 3070 series suffering heat problem when installing it vertically?

Surrender

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Sep 13, 2020
twitter.com
Hi, I think I joined here a few months ago, but writing a thread is first time here.
A few days ago, I purchased [GIGABYTE RTX 3070 GAMING OC] model. I was delighted to put this VGA to NZXT H1 or Meshlicous. However when I post my plan on Korean SFF community, One guy said some RTX 30 VGAs are suffering from high temperature on vertical layout cases. Yes, I know H1 is not that good at VGA cooling, but he said it's not the matter of form-factor. I have no idea what is right or wrong, so I'm writing this thread to ask anyone who put GIGABYTE RTX 3070 GAMIMG OC in vertical layout cases(H1, Velka 7, etc.).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This should be of interest to you.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I can only share my experience of my Asus 3080 TUF OC, but I have no issues at all. Mounted vertical (in open air atm though), i'm seeing normal temperatures. In fact, after an undervolt to 875mW at 1920MHz, it's always at 50-60C with the 3 fans only spinning at 800 RPM.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Even though the negative impact due to gravity is usually negligible for installing a display card vertically, there is still a preferred way between which way of upside down (ie card IO pointing up vs pointing down).

For most (if not all) cards, the GPU chipset is located nearer to the IO end, with heatpipes running parallel to the card's length. (Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC is such a card)
Therefore, card IO pointing up and pointing down present 2 different evaporation-condensation reflow directions.
When the card IO is facing down, the reflow will not be negatively affected by gravity while it is not so when the IO is pointing up.
Just keep this in mind although this factor is usually not significant.
So, for a Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC installed vertically in Mesh-licious or H1, this factor should not come into play at all.

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I have the same video card but I’m using a traditional mount... if I end up mounting it vertically I’ll let you know if that changes.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Here is someone that's having issues with the 3080 strix vertical with IO on top:
It's hard to say if it's a general thing from this one experience though...

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Here is someone that's having issues with the 3080 strix vertical with IO on top:
It's hard to say if it's a general thing from this one experience though...

I picked up a Ghost S1. And I was just thinking I did t need to worry about this....

• Haha
Reactions: ignsvn